Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF plane in incident at JFK

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2006, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

QF plane in incident at JFK

A Qantas plane has hit a fence at New York's JFK airport.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/...754974692.html

goodo
Old May 29, 2006, 8:44 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
QF 108 showing cancelled on the flight departures part of the QF website ?!?
Old May 29, 2006, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There a tiny bit more here: News.com.au: Qantas jet damaged in NY
... no one was hurt ... plane was not significantly damaged ... hit the fence as it was heading for a terminal ... the plane landed safely about 5.30pm ... Passengers ... held up for only a few minutes ... then disembarked.
Old May 29, 2006, 10:13 pm

QF 108 has been cancelled from LAX tonight, will be busy on the ground there at present.
Old May 29, 2006, 11:08 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by under the clocks
QF 108 has been cancelled from LAX tonight, will be busy on the ground there at present.
Will be worse in NY when you get ferried onto AA to flx to LAX.
Wonder if the LAX-SYD passengers will be re-accomd on LAX-MEL and LAX-BNE or if QF can get a plane there in time.
Old May 30, 2006, 1:39 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Code:
VH-OEE  
QF0107  
29/05/2006 11:18  
Qantas  B747-438(ER) 
SYD-LAX-JFK
Old May 30, 2006, 1:59 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Bit of a gap between landing and arriving:

Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 07:05 ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL
Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 06:56 AIRCRAFT LANDED
Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 07:05 ARRIVED
Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 09:11 LEFT THE GATE
Los Angeles Int'l (LAX), Los Angeles, California, USA 09:25 TOOK OFF
John F Kennedy Int'l (JFK), New York, New York, USA 17:10 ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL
John F Kennedy Int'l (JFK), New York, New York, USA 17:01 AIRCRAFT LANDED
John F Kennedy Int'l (JFK), New York, New York, USA 18:21 ARRIVED
Old Jun 1, 2006, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Here's a more detailed report: Qantas jet hits airport blast fence

Qantas is investigating an incident in which one of its jets carrying more than 200 passengers hit a fence ...

One passenger ... like a minor collision in a car park.

The wing tip of a Qantas Boeing 747-400 struck a blast fence ... We understand it was being directed by an airport marshaller. No-one was hurt as a result of the incident." ...

... it took ... about an hour to get the plane clear ...

Crews lightened the wing by pumping fuel into the port wing fuel tank and removing luggage and cargo, and the wing was lifted clear of the fence.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:11 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
I've come across a number of pictures of VH-OEE and have posted them here for those interested:
Was chatting to a Virgin Blue LAME (ORN) yesterday (out @ YBBN), who answered a number of questions with regards to Winglets. Not surprisingly, he said that it costs approximately AUD$1 million to fit one winglet to a 737-800. Interestingly, there are only 2 locations in the world where winglets can be fitted; somewhere in the LOTFAP and New Zealand (namely CHC). Interesting to see how much it will cost to repair -OEE's starboard wing (-let) and when she'll back in service.

On a related matter, VH-EBWs (747-300) use on SYD-HKG-SYD (QF127/8, 2nd JUN) can be directly attributed to -OEE's inability to operate services for Qantas. QF are in need more aircraft ASAP (dry lease, purchase whatever!)

Regards
Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:23 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by QF NB
On a related matter, VH-EBWs (747-300) use on SYD-HKG-SYD (QF127/8, 2nd JUN) can be directly attributed to -OEE's inability to operate services for Qantas. QF are in need more aircraft ASAP (dry lease, purchase whatever!)
I had heard that the winglet on the 737-800 was about $1 million to retrofit, but wasn't sure if bought new it cost $1 million extra. Qantas may need more aircraft, but are they going to get any?
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:28 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
If the A380 was delivered on time, it would be going into service very shortly for QF. They now have to wait until next year.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by QF NB
Interesting to see how much it will cost to repair -OEE's starboard wing (-let) and when she'll back in service.
I'm surprised that she's still out of service, unless there's been more damage to the wing than first thought. I had always understood that if you bent a winglet, you just took them off and operated the aircraft without them. You take a performance penalty, but you shouldn't have an AOG.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Winglets are standard on the 744, not sure that it is removable; suspect it is a wing rebuild but I haven't considered this. Usually it is a truck hitting the wing. I suppose in this case the damage might be only to the winglet, but I suspect strain damage would extend down the spar (or at least require inspection to prove that it does not).
Old Jun 5, 2006, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The winglets are definitely removeable. I found this picture of a KL 744F operating without winglet (and the caption suggests on one side only). And then a rather spectacular picture of her flying with winglets.

I was looking for a picture of an LH pax -400 which I know was photographed operating without at least one winglet, but couldn't find it.

If -OEE is still out of service after a week, I have a suspicion that there is something more serious afoot than a damaged winglet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.