FF pts from AMEX Redemption flights

Old May 31, 06, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QP NB
FF pts from AMEX Redemption flights

Has anyone else already used their AMEX redemption flight and if so did you have any luck with FF points posting ?

Also it is noted in the AMEX T&C's that there are no FF points earned for this flight but the booking is otherwise just a normal red-e-deal and checking the booking online mentions nothing about FF points not being earned. Is there something in the booking that I cannot see that would dictate no FF points being earned ?
Old Jun 1, 06, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by BronzedAussie
Has anyone else already used their AMEX redemption flight and if so did you have any luck with FF points posting ?

Also it is noted in the AMEX T&C's that there are no FF points earned for this flight but the booking is otherwise just a normal red-e-deal and checking the booking online mentions nothing about FF points not being earned. Is there something in the booking that I cannot see that would dictate no FF points being earned ?
I'm not having fun trying to book a MEL-PER-MEL flight. Trying to find O class fares (which is the only fare they will book the freebie into) is like finding a needle in a haystack. Not fun. Forget taking a friday night out/sunday night back combo (unless you want the red eye). They just don't exist (none between now and october I checked that). You can get one way but not the other.

I imagine shorter haul would be easier, but not really worth it considering it's a waste of that huge annual fee

Drew
Old Jun 1, 06, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: QP NB
drewbles, they are there you just have to be patient and willing to book well ahead. I used EF to find flights that had availability and rang and booked immediately, lucky I did as my wife asked 2 days later if she could use the flights to go SYD-MEL which as you state is not a good use of the annual fee.
Old Jun 1, 06, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Hi all

Just wondering what the AMEX redemption flight is??

Regards

L/M/E FF
Old Jun 1, 06, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Hi all

Just wondering what the AMEX redemption flight is??

Regards

L/M/E FF
Amex Platinum Credit Card.
http://www.americanexpress.com/austr...t/launch.shtml
Old Jun 1, 06, 4:31 am

I'll have an answer early next week

It's easy enough to put your FF number into the booking. That at least helps with seating on the plane. The bookings are viewable trhough Galileo ViewTrip, so plug your Amex reference and surname into www.viewtrip.com to get the amadeus reference.

The T&C do actually state FF points will not be earnt, but I agree there is nothing written on the ticket (bar in the comments field) about no points. The fares are booked into the OPTWEBU fare basis. I suspect a Qantas Industry card was used for the CC payment therefore nullifying points earning.

I have a few ideas on how to get points from the flight, may have to try them - although with only one return per year, it may not be too easy to find the winning combination!

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Jun 1, 06 at 4:48 am
Old Jun 1, 06, 5:17 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by drewbles
I'm not having fun trying to book a MEL-PER-MEL flight. Trying to find O class fares (which is the only fare they will book the freebie into) is like finding a needle in a haystack. Not fun. Forget taking a friday night out/sunday night back combo (unless you want the red eye). They just don't exist (none between now and october I checked that). You can get one way but not the other.

I imagine shorter haul would be easier, but not really worth it considering it's a waste of that huge annual fee

Drew
No problem for me but mine's in January. Got tickets to the cricket, the two one day matches in late Jan, and no problems this morning booking preferred flights Syd-Per-Syd. Happy as a pig in the proverbial! Other good thing is it means one less biased Pom there! Thank you Amex.
Old Jun 2, 06, 8:31 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by BronzedAussie
What makes you say its "otherwise just a normal red-e-deal"? It might be booked in O fare class, but that does not make it a normal red-e-deal. You need to know the fare basis that was used for the booking. Its the fare basis that is the key to the fare rules. I expect Amex has a special fare basis that might be something like OAMEX or similar. It will look like any other booking to the on-line systems, but the fare rules for the unpublished Amex fare will reflect the lack to FF points.
Old Jun 6, 06, 1:12 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Diamond, Marriot Gold
Amex appears to have recently DOWNGRADED the program for New Members from 1-June.

PER flights for SYD, MEL starting points are no longer available although PER startpoint can fly to SYD, MEL

http://www.americanexpress.com/austr...1.shtml#routes
Old Jun 6, 06, 2:34 am

That's interesting for new applicants. Although, I couldn't see how a $600+ flight (East coast-West coast return) was really viable in the long term.

Wonder how long till current applicants get the letter to advise of changes to their benefits ... or if it will be grandfathered as a benefit to all "Foundation Member" cards. Time will tell I suppose.

The new T&C indicate that they are working on getting the flights bookable through www.qantas.com somehow. That will be nice when it happens.
Old Jun 6, 06, 3:22 am

Programs: DJ Silver, BA Silver, PC Gold, QF, SQ
I see they've also removed the PER-CBR and PER-BNE options.