Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Awards Rule!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2006, 6:37 am
Original Poster

New Awards Rule!!!!

[B]Once again, Delta is making award seats more diffucult. Instead of allowing a "hold" on award ticket reservation for 2 weeks to allow the return flight to open, as of today, you can not hold award seat reservations for more than 2 days. Obviously this puts quite a problem for those that plan in advance since your return flight must be available to redeem an award seat. Forget calling 331 days in advance for the outbound since it must be redeemed within 2 days.

It's time for Flyer Talk participants to voice their dissatisfaction with yet another rule change. I am a Gold medaillion so no preference here either!
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by carm100
[B]Once again, Delta is making award seats more diffucult. Instead of allowing a "hold" on award ticket reservation for 2 weeks to allow the return flight to open, as of today, you can not hold award seat reservations for more than 2 days. Obviously this puts quite a problem for those that plan in advance since your return flight must be available to redeem an award seat. Forget calling 331 days in advance for the outbound since it must be redeemed within 2 days.

It's time for Flyer Talk participants to voice their dissatisfaction with yet another rule change. I am a Gold medaillion so no preference here either!
The rule is probably a net positive for FFers - it prevents others from tying up scarce award seats (esp. in premium cabins) for weeks on end.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:34 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
For those who book 331 days out on choice travel dates/routes and plan on staying more than 2 days, it is a serious bummer.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The rule is probably a net positive for FFers - it prevents others from tying up scarce award seats (esp. in premium cabins) for weeks on end.

Positive????

If you book 331 days out.....You cannot hold until return opens... How can you plan a trip this way if this it true?????????

Idiots!!!!!!!!!

Where is Robbie Boy Borden when we need him?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:55 am

Programs: Delta
This rule is probably very good. It will keep more award seats open for us.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:01 am

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Originally Posted by Spiff
For those who book 331 days out on choice travel dates/routes and plan on staying more than 2 days, it is a serious bummer.
I just talked to the Platinum desk about an award issue and also asked about this. The woman I talked to said that people could call in after 2 days (but before the award res cancels) and they would extend it 2 days at a time in this particular type situation. So, it might be a little more work at 331 days out, but still doable.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:05 am

I thought this thread was about some new awards that "rule." Guess that would never happen.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mikey1003
Positive????

If you book 331 days out.....You cannot hold until return opens... How can you plan a trip this way if this it true?????????

Idiots!!!!!!!!!
But no one else can either putting you at no disadvantage.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:23 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I thought that I read previously that the 2 day rule applied when you used a partner airline for any of the segments. So now, even if all segments are on DL metal, the hold is only 2 days?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:32 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Sorry folks, but I like the rule. I don't book 331 days in advance (hell, I usually don't know where I'll be next week, much less next year) so there may be a little more likelyhood of my dates being available when I call this way.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
Sorry folks, but I like the rule.
Is there a reason to be sorry?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:50 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Richard1148
I thought that I read previously that the 2 day rule applied when you used a partner airline for any of the segments.
This is correct. You can still hold flights on ALL DL metal for 14 days.

The reason for the two days was some of the DL partners were not holding the seats as requested. Imagine calling back to book your flight and being told it was gone. As a result, DL took the lowest common denominator and set the hold day to that time frame. Thus the two days.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Apr 18, 2006 at 9:26 am
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:50 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Just trying to be polite while disagreeing with many who posted alternative opinions.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:01 am
Suspended

Just trying to be polite while disagreeing with many who posted alternative opinions.
You must be kidding...or not trying very hard very often

Seriously though, as pointed out in earlier posts, airlines invest more money and more time trying to figure out how much harm awards are bringing to the revenue side.It started some time ago, but at least in Europe, many airlines charge their fuel surcharges on awards, so the loss of revenue could be stopped to a certain extent.

However the once valid believe that one does not lose any revenue, because one only dumps seats into the award buckets, if there is no way to sell them anyway is not regarded as viable anymore.

The FF gets more sophisticated and knows where to use his miles...

Studies about smaller companies booking their employees preferably on LCC`s and the court ruling in Germany, that the employer actually owns the miles, is probably accelerating the whole thing.

Expect Airlines to significantly reduce the flexibility for awards...
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Completely intolerable!

If this is true and the hold is only for two days, but you can call every two days and get it extended, then really there's no difference to those booking 331 days in advance. It's the same difference of under the 'old' rule of two weeks and having to call because my return wouldn't be for three. So, as previously pointed out, it's a little more leg work, but the same result. Also, some poeple may find a little more award availability closer to the flying date because some people may mot be willing to do the extra phone work or just plain forget. I just don't see much of a difference, if it is in fact true you can call every two days. That remains to be seen.

When is this new rule taking effect?

Where did you find this information?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.