Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Downgrade, SYD-SIN! Would You?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

I was in the SYD international F lounge Last Saturday PM where I noted that BA16 (SYD-SIN-LHR) had been cancelled.

IMO Connected, an announcement came over the PA for the attention of "Business Class" PAX on QF5 (SYD-SIN-FRA) asking if any would volunteer for a downgrade to WHY. Compensation offered was either:

• USD250 credited to CC of choice or
• USD525 QF voucher.

Do you think this is sufficient compensation? Some suggest that could be the compensation on top of the fare difference.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Hyatt - Diamond, Hilton - Gold, Nobody to lots of companies!
No way!!! That was a ridiculous offer.

For about a 7 hour flight I would expect around $1000 US plus the difference in fare.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:36 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
SYD-SIn then perhaps, but you'd think an upgrade to F on the return sector (if there is one) or equivalent in FF points should be offered. If it was USD250/525 voucher for the whole trip to FRA I'd tell them to forget it...
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:00 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Was there a rush of volunteers? I think not.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
I was in the lounge then too and indeed I had been due to be on the BA16. Luckily I had been put on the BA10!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540631

I heard the comp offer too and thought it was fairly paltry. Still, I expect they start low and if they get the volunteers they need, then there's a winner. No point starting high if you only need one or two volunteers and having a queue 10 deep at the desk. I expect if they hadn't got anyone to go for it, then they would have upped the offer. I didn't hear them make an improved offer, so assume someone must have gone for it. You wouldn't catch me, or many other FT'ers I expect, taking that kind of downgrade comp though!

I discussed it with my seatmate on the BA10 who'd also heard the offer and he thought it was on top of the fare difference refund, although I'm sure they didn't make that clear at the time. But I would think that must have been the case though, although interesting to note which Y fare they would have refunded the difference for, one would assume the full Y fare I guess.

Did you try any of the Krug? Disappointing to only get half a glass. There didn't seem to be any other Champagne offer in the F lounge, which I found disappointing, only some sparkling wine option which didn't taste that good.

Last edited by PhilH; Mar 28, 2006 at 2:04 am
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would be stunned if they didnt provde the fare rebate.

I know a fair number of people who would be prepared to take USD525 for a downgrade on a 7 hour flight; I'd consider it if guaranteed a decent seat ( such as an exit seat )

Dave
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would be stunned if they didnt provde the fare rebate.

I know a fair number of people who would be prepared to take USD525 for a downgrade on a 7 hour flight; I'd consider it if guaranteed a decent seat ( such as an exit seat )

Dave
Especially if your company had paid and you knew your trip was a bit of a junket anyhow and $525 USD was just about to land into your personal bank account.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:49 am

WHAT A JOKE

when are they going to get their act together and come into the 21st century.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:52 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
As the offer was for a QF voucher, I assume they were trying to reaccommodate people booked on the QF codeshare of the cancelled BA flight. I wonder what happened to the BA passengers?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:54 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Especially if your company had paid and you knew your trip was a bit of a junket anyhow and $525 USD was just about to land into your personal bank account.
Only USD 250 would land in your bank account under the terms of this offer (unless you happen to know a way to turn QF vouchers into cash).
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NM
As the offer was for a QF voucher, I assume they were trying to reaccommodate people booked on the QF codeshare of the cancelled BA flight. I wonder what happened to the BA passengers?
As I said on the other thread, I was one of the lucky ones who got on BA10. But I think most were being re-booked on all kinds of carriers. I was initially put on Gulf Air and then they tried to put me on the QF flight to NRT connecting to the BA flight to LHR. But I think they were trying Cathay, SQ, anyone with any room to spare.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 5:17 am

I was actually scheduled on BA 15 from SIN-SYD on March 24 which was cancelled thereby leading to the cancelled BA 16 on March25....What a mess. I was re routed on EK from SIN-BNE and then BNE-SYD on QF. As it turns out EK was great in first.....
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:05 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by RTW4:
I was re routed on EK from SIN-BNE and then BNE-SYD on QF. As it turns out EK was great in first.....
That's a great way to get your high yield customers to try out the competition. I bet airlines hate it when they have to suck up to the competition for seats when their a/c go mechanical. So RTW4, would you fly Emirates again?
Old Mar 28, 2006, 9:10 am

Programs: QFF WP :-0, AC, FlyBuys, Porter's Liquor Store, Mother's Helper
Originally Posted by serfty:
• USD250 credited to CC of choice
Last year on UA DEN to YWG volunteers were being offered $250.00, overnight accommodation and meals. This is a 3-hour flight. If the offer as quoted by serfty is correct then they really took someone for a ride and got away cheap.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Exxxxactly

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.