Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Metropole {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Ambassador, Melia Platinum, IB Gold, TAP Gold
2-night stay as diamond. Booked cheapest pre-paid rate, a "King deluxe" room. At check-in, it was suggested i upgrade/swap to a queen room in the tower wing as it was recently refurbished (16th floor).

Room ok-ish - everything was working, clean and looked fine, but the room and especially the bathroom is tiny. I didn't find a way to connect my laptop to the TV as it was inset too deep into the wall. No easy way to open the window, due to how the drapes are installed.

Lounge was disappointing, limited booze hours (18:00 - 20:30) and nothing to eat or do in the lounge after that. I like it when they put a chess board or the like in the lounges i.e. something to do, but here there were magazines, and that's it.

Hotel is very busy, approx 1,000 rooms. Everything is working really well though - I thought the service was really good, very professional. No problem getting 2pm late checkout. Free full breakfast in lounge or restaurant was included as diamond.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SW A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by Danimalito
2-night stay as diamond. Booked cheapest pre-paid rate, a "King deluxe" room. At check-in, it was suggested i upgrade/swap to a queen room in the tower wing as it was recently refurbished (16th floor).

Room ok-ish - everything was working, clean and looked fine, but the room and especially the bathroom is tiny. I didn't find a way to connect my laptop to the TV as it was inset too deep into the wall. No easy way to open the window, due to how the drapes are installed.
See my post from this past January. The refurbished Tower rooms are HORRIBLE. I was also on the 16th Floor (1620) and found the bathroom to be unusably small. Not only was the floor space ridiculous, but there was no decent area to place toiletries - the only place was on a shelf behind the toilet. Horrible layout.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassordor, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thumbs down Experience was awful

2-night stay as gold. No upgrade at all. There are bad noises around elevators and the whole building. There were dirty stuffs inside the room. The hotel didn't handled it well. The services they provide was not professional and kind of showing discrimination.

When having breakfast in the restaurant, I was not recognized as a gold member and they tried to blocked me out. It was so far the worst Hilton experience ever.

To be honest, a Hilton Garden Inn or a high-level Hamptom Inn in USA might be better in services and rooms (uh, where can you find a hotel with elevator noises everyday in row for a week. nowhere, man... nowhere)

PS. I was learning from this forum since 2011, and finally got angry with this hotel and posted this in 2016. Congratulations to Hilton London Metropole!! My ending of no replying in this forum!
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Currently here for two nights. No upgrade nor mention of elite status. Executive lounge is lovely as always, though very crowded in the evenings. Breakfast was a chaotic zoo but nice to have the separate queue and dining room for elites.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Hilton London Metropole

Hilton London Metropole

Map| 2 Reviews | 0% Recommended

Hilton London Metropole

225 Edgware Road London, GB W2 1JU

Hilton London Metropole (0 Photo)

Hilton London Metropole

Check In

The hotel was playing host to a conference, which meant there was a queue at check-in.  The staff were trying to process people as efficiently and politely as possible but there weren't enough of them manning the desks.  

I was eventually seen by a very pleasant young lady who told me that my King Hilton Executive Room had been upgraded to a Family Superior Room.  She told me that this meant the room was bigger and I would have 2 double beds to choose from but it would not be in the same tower as the executive lounge.  I ended up saying that I would prefer to keep my original booking (mainly because I didn't need an extra bed and that alone didn't seem like much of an upgrade).  This seemed to throw her and she said that she would give me a King - when I checked she said that it was an interior room so I said that I'd prefer a room with an outside view.  This threw her again so it took a while to get the keys issued.  She did however give me a voucher for 2 bottles of water (redeemable in any of th bars or shops) and told me how to find the Executive Lounge.  It took 15 minutes from arrival to getting my room card.

Room

The room was disappointing.  It was clearly in need of renovation - the carpet was stained and furniture and bathroom tired - but it was a very good size with a big bathroom (separate bath and shower).  Unfortunately the TV did not work at all so I ended up going down to get another room.

The second room was in a different tower (as this was all that was available) but was a renovated room.  Size wise, it was tiny compared to the first room - even though they were supposed to be in the same category.  The bathroom was particularly small - walk in shower only, no bath.  The room design was poor (full length mirror away from a light source, massive sink, no shaving mirror), uncomfortable mini couch.  It didn't have the amenity kit or sewing kit offered in the first room.  The bed was very firm (too firm for my tastes) but the pillows were too thin.  It had a great view of London and everything was fresh and new but it was disappointing.

Sound proofing was very poor - I heard everything going on in the corridor outside.

Dining

I checked out the lounge, which was pretty good.  Decent offering of snacks and beverages, friendly staff who were eddicient at clearing plates.  Unfortunately there was a large group intent on drinking the place dry and being boisterous so I didn't stay long but I could see it being very pleasant when it's less crowded.

Great location - 10 minutes walk from Paddington Station so a good alternative to the Paddington Hilton.

Overall

This was my first stay at the Metropole and I have to say that I wouldn't be rushing back.  The upgrade offered wasn't great, the room disappointing (especially for the rate charged) and the lounge overcrowded and noisy (although this isn't the hotel's fault).  If I have another early train from Paddington then I'll try the Hilton Paddington or the Mercure instead.

Hilton London Metropole

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton London Metropole?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 11, 2016, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
Hhonors Gold at Hilton London Metropole

Hello

I am staying at Hilton London Metropole this weekend, I am a HHonors Gold member. What benefits will I receive?

Whats the lounge like at this hotel, range of drinks?
Old Nov 11, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by tomparskate
Hello

I am staying at Hilton London Metropole this weekend, I am a HHonors Gold member. What benefits will I receive?

Whats the lounge like at this hotel, range of drinks?

It was a few years back, but when I was Gold, I stayed at this hotel a couple of times and on both occasions was upgraded to an exec room/given lounge access. The receptionist specifically indicated at that time that they try to upgrade golds to get them lounge access, though YMMV.

While this is by no means the most plush of London Hiltons, it has a very good lounge in terms of both food and beverage offering. So, although it isn't on my top 5 go-to list in London, it can be very good value and may be a sound choice for Golds hoping for lounge access.

Best of luck! ^
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:59 am

My experience is also a few years back so it may have changed more recently. Basically stayed there about 10-12 times over course of a year or two and never got much as a Gold from the Metropole. My impression is that it's a busy hotel with many tour groups staying there and the front desk staff didn't really offer anything special as HH Gold, infact on one occasion the room I got was so small that I decided to no longer stay at the property. With Hilton Paddington just around the corner I have generally had much better stays and now with the Conrad and Bankside there's two very good properties that I can usually make work for location. So IMO if you need to stay at the Metropole then set expectations low (and maybe they will be surpassed) otherwise I'd look at other options that have a better base product and recognize Gold/Diamonds better.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look at the thread for the Metropole and the reports that others have taken the time to post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...le-gbr-35.html
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:22 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/FB/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Recent experience Mon-Thu stay. Check in 10:30 was ok, but did not receive the room I had OLCIed. It used to be West Wing, West Wing, West Wing where everybody desired to have room from, but nowadays also the renovated rooms in the upper floors of Tower Wing could suffice. I received a corner room from the 18th floor.

The sound insulation appears not optimal. Doors make very loud banging noises, which could be easily helped by installing some cushions between the door and the frame. The bathrooms also are slightly smaller, but well functional. TV-channel selection seemed limited. Smart cards are not used for doors in this Wing, which made me walk to the reception to update the magnetic stripe for couple of times - annoying, remember to take an ID along every time you exit the room.

Mon and Tue evenings the Exec lounge was congested, Wed not. Breakfast offerings among the best in Hiltons in London. They also have a separate area for Gold and Diamond guests reserved. The much advertised bar on the 23rd floor is not worthwhile IMO, reminds me of the hotel bars in Leningrad in the 1980s. So and so service, quite drunk clientele. But that may be just the aim as well. Nostalgia for many of the current London tourists .
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
I'm doing a family trip to London with 3 kids + myself and the wife (5 total). The Metropole is literally one of the only hotels in the entire city that will allow 5 people in a room, and its way, way cheaper than the few others that have them (Park Plaza Westminster/Victoria, St. Ermin's).

That said--I'm kind of scared based on the reviews. I have been in the area before, and I don't remember it being very pleasant. One of the TripAdvisor reviews I read said it was unsafe at night--is it really that bad?

And are the family superior rooms generally better and somewhat renovated?

On the plus side, having a few food options would be nice, and they do seem to cater to younger kids (which mine are). Any thoughts for those in my situation?

We're in London for 5 days, pure leisure.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I've stayed in the Metropole many times and several times with my family. The family rooms are larger and newer and recommended. It's a big hotel and is usually busy and can be quite soulless. The breakfast offerings are reasonably good (although it can be busy too!)

The location is fine. It's certainly not a 'fashionable' area of the city, but there are lots of casual places nearby, small supermarkets, and both Paddington and Edgware Road stations are very close by. I've never felt unsafe in the area.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
i'd say that edgware road is super safe due to the large number of things which are open late at night. it's certainly not a glamorous area but you can walk to oxford street and the transport is excellent.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sarahluv
i'd say that edgware road is super safe
i agree....have walked around in this area in the middle of the night more times than i can remember....have never felt unsafe....
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by MFLetou
I'm kind of scared based on the reviews. I have been in the area before, and I don't remember it being very pleasant. One of the TripAdvisor reviews I read said it was unsafe at night--is it really that bad?
That's silly IMO. Praed Street between the hotel and Paddington Station is teeming with foot traffic late into the night, you're right across Edgware Road from M&S and the Tube, Edgware has numerous takeaway shops, etc., and the blocks behind Edgware have pubs. I've walked around there in the late hours frequently, never had safety issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.