Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suicide on my flight today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Suicide on my flight today - IAD to LAX

Unbelievably sad. Flight 209 from IAD to LAX....diverted into Denver.

RL

Last edited by Roger Lococco; Feb 8, 2006 at 10:26 pm
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Unbelievably sad. Flight 209 from IAD to LAX....diverted into Denver.

RL
!!!! yikes, was it discovered way after or was there a possibility of resuscitation?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dnotes
!!!! yikes, was it discovered way after or was there a possibility of resuscitation?
I don't know. The individual was discovered in the rear lavatory. Just awful. The FAs were really shook up but handled it the best they could. We had either a doctor or EMS technician on board, but apparently it was too late.

RL
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Do you have details about this?
How could something like this even happen?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Hopefully there won't be a rash of copycats on this one. Not to be too morbid, but what was the method?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Sad...
Those pax and FAs do not deserve this.
Original Poster

I really don't know the details. They screened off the back of the plane as the doctor/EMS tried to treat in flight. There were probably 8-10 police, including homicide, on board after we landed.

RL

Programs: UA 1P
Sorry you had to experience something like this It's a shame that sometimes we can't help people before its too late.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
Really sad. It is difficult for me to see how someone can get to that place.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

I will say that UAL handled the situation with incredible professionalism...from top to bottom. Some of the passengers, however, once off the plane did not...constantly complaining about missing flights and looking to break in line as the GAs tried to rebook a full plane of passengers.

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for the FAs after today. It was an excellent crew before the emergency and even better during.

RL
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
So sorry to learn you were on the flight. I feel badly for everyone: the FAs, the pax, and mostly that poor man. What a tragedy.

My mom told me she saw a short bit on the TV news regarding the suicide but I haven't been able to find anything online yet. The report she saw said he hung himself in the lav. What a fright that must have given the FAs. This is just so sad.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I saw a piece on Fox 31 News about this. They said the flight landed because of a "medical emergency" according to United. The reported claimed a pax hanged himself in the lav.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
I couldn't find anything online either. But searching for "suicide" and "lavatory" I found this story about a suicide on a flight 43 years ago ...
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...n/13608676.htm

Let's just say, thankfully nobody else was physically injuried or died. Although I'm sure there was a lot of emotional trauma on your flight.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
I will say that UAL handled the situation with incredible professionalism...from top to bottom. Some of the passengers, however, once off the plane did not...constantly complaining about missing flights and looking to break in line as the GAs tried to rebook a full plane of passengers.
That's a shame. You would think a situation like that would give people pause and a moment to reflect on the people in their lives and maybe treat people with some patience and respect. I just don't get it how people can complain about missing a flight and just act rude after an experience like that.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
To those whose tasteless posts I have deleted and those who might be tempted to post in kind: This is a sad story that deserves dignity, civility, and tastefulness in the responses. If you have "humor" [sic] to share, do it via PM/email it with someone who will appreciate your "humor" [sic], not on-thread. Those who cannot post helpfully, tastefully, civilly and with dignity will find their posts deleted and their posting abilities subject to review, per the TOS.

Thank you for your understanding.

cblaisd
Moderator, United

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.