FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Suicide on my flight today (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/524441-suicide-my-flight-today.html)

Roger Lococco Feb 8, 2006 9:50 pm

Suicide on my flight today - IAD to LAX

Unbelievably sad. Flight 209 from IAD to LAX....diverted into Denver.

RL

dnotes Feb 8, 2006 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Unbelievably sad. Flight 209 from IAD to LAX....diverted into Denver.

RL

!!!! yikes, was it discovered way after or was there a possibility of resuscitation?

Roger Lococco Feb 8, 2006 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by dnotes
!!!! yikes, was it discovered way after or was there a possibility of resuscitation?

I don't know. The individual was discovered in the rear lavatory. Just awful. The FAs were really shook up but handled it the best they could. We had either a doctor or EMS technician on board, but apparently it was too late.

RL

ldsant Feb 8, 2006 9:58 pm

Do you have details about this?
How could something like this even happen? :(

Jaimito Cartero Feb 8, 2006 9:58 pm

Hopefully there won't be a rash of copycats on this one. Not to be too morbid, but what was the method?

b33g Feb 8, 2006 10:00 pm

Sad... :(
Those pax and FAs do not deserve this.

Roger Lococco Feb 8, 2006 10:00 pm

I really don't know the details. They screened off the back of the plane as the doctor/EMS tried to treat in flight. There were probably 8-10 police, including homicide, on board after we landed.

RL

UA T7 Feb 8, 2006 10:00 pm

Sorry you had to experience something like this :( It's a shame that sometimes we can't help people before its too late.

redbeard911 Feb 8, 2006 10:08 pm

Really sad. It is difficult for me to see how someone can get to that place. :( :(

Roger Lococco Feb 8, 2006 10:11 pm

I will say that UAL handled the situation with incredible professionalism...from top to bottom. Some of the passengers, however, once off the plane did not...constantly complaining about missing flights and looking to break in line as the GAs tried to rebook a full plane of passengers.

Anyway, I have a lot of respect for the FAs after today. It was an excellent crew before the emergency and even better during.

RL

oklAAhoma Feb 8, 2006 10:36 pm

So sorry to learn you were on the flight. I feel badly for everyone: the FAs, the pax, and mostly that poor man. What a tragedy.

My mom told me she saw a short bit on the TV news regarding the suicide but I haven't been able to find anything online yet. The report she saw said he hung himself in the lav. What a fright that must have given the FAs. This is just so sad.

dimramon Feb 8, 2006 10:44 pm

I saw a piece on Fox 31 News about this. They said the flight landed because of a "medical emergency" according to United. The reported claimed a pax hanged himself in the lav.

suzy1K Feb 8, 2006 11:09 pm

I couldn't find anything online either. But searching for "suicide" and "lavatory" I found this story about a suicide on a flight 43 years ago ...
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...n/13608676.htm

Let's just say, thankfully nobody else was physically injuried or died. Although I'm sure there was a lot of emotional trauma on your flight.

AceAirspeed Feb 8, 2006 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
I will say that UAL handled the situation with incredible professionalism...from top to bottom. Some of the passengers, however, once off the plane did not...constantly complaining about missing flights and looking to break in line as the GAs tried to rebook a full plane of passengers.

That's a shame. You would think a situation like that would give people pause and a moment to reflect on the people in their lives and maybe treat people with some patience and respect. I just don't get it how people can complain about missing a flight and just act rude after an experience like that.

cblaisd Feb 8, 2006 11:44 pm

To those whose tasteless posts I have deleted and those who might be tempted to post in kind: This is a sad story that deserves dignity, civility, and tastefulness in the responses. If you have "humor" [sic] to share, do it via PM/email it with someone who will appreciate your "humor" [sic], not on-thread. Those who cannot post helpfully, tastefully, civilly and with dignity will find their posts deleted and their posting abilities subject to review, per the TOS.

Thank you for your understanding.

cblaisd
Moderator, United