FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Suicide on my flight today (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/524441-suicide-my-flight-today.html)

meducate Feb 10, 2006 9:30 am

Originally Posted by letiole
Good points. Thanks.

Mon plasir

suzy1K Feb 10, 2006 10:28 am

All you need to do to unlock the door is flip up the little "occupied/unoccupied" (not sure of "exact" wording) sign on the outside of the door and move the lock over. That's how the FAs lock/unlock the lav doors for takeoff/landing after they have made sure no pax are inside.

PremEx Feb 10, 2006 10:55 am

Many lavatory doors also have a simple manual hinge separation technique, so that the door can be completely unattached from the frame from the hinge side, even if it remains locked on the lock side. It's a "lift/pull toward you" slot-and-key thing, and the entire door separates from the frame.

If this plane had that, it could be that somehow his body weight was preventing them from being able to lift up on the door?

lucky9876coins Feb 10, 2006 11:54 am

Originally Posted by suzy1K
All you need to do to unlock the door is flip up the little "occupied/unoccupied" (not sure of "exact" wording) sign on the outside of the door and move the lock over. That's how the FAs lock/unlock the lav doors for takeoff/landing after they have made sure no pax are inside.

Wrong. My cousing is a Boeing 737 Captain and he showed me how this works on Boeing aircraft, and said that it does not work on Airbus.

ozweepay Feb 10, 2006 2:07 pm

Hope this isn't too graphic, but...
Attendants asked an off-duty Secret Service agent to break down the door. Georgettis' five-foot-nine-inch body dangled from a piece of his own clothing, police said.
How can one "dangle" inside an airplane lav? I'm 6'1" and can barely fit. In a CRJ it's virtually impossible to even use the lav.

lucky9876coins Feb 10, 2006 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by ozweepay
Hope this isn't too graphic, but...
Attendants asked an off-duty Secret Service agent to break down the door. Georgettis' five-foot-nine-inch body dangled from a piece of his own clothing, police said.
How can one "dangle" inside an airplane lav? I'm 6'1" and can barely fit. In a CRJ it's virtually impossible to even use the lav.

Same question!

SPN Lifer Feb 10, 2006 2:34 pm

See Post #38, supra.

formergr Feb 10, 2006 3:33 pm

And to clarify on my original post (#38), the deceased would likely have been kneeling when he began, and just let his bodyweight do the rest.

ozweepay Feb 10, 2006 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by formergr
And to clarify on my original post (#38), the deceased would likely have been kneeling when he began, and just let his bodyweight do the rest.

I read your post #38, but if someone were hanging from a door knob, I doubt it would be described as "dangling". This term implies he was off the ground (at least to me it does). There's just no room... and what on the lav ceiling would allow clothing to be tied on and then support 200+ lbs of force?

Sorry if these questions make people feel uneasy. I realize this isn't related to the United Airlines Mileage Plus frequent flyer program. :(

robb Feb 10, 2006 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by meducate
If the agent was carrying his weapon he would have to make that known to the flight crew.

Many law enforcement officers are required to carry their weapons on board, it's not optional.

wimpypipsqueak Feb 11, 2006 2:30 pm

This story made it to the TV news in SYD on last night. Apparently, Mr. Georgettis was Australian, so that made for a good news story here. The friends that were interviewed all imply that he was quite level headed.

Unfortunately, they concentrated on the car dealership incident so they could replay the video footage of the SUV smashing through the glass multiple times. The fact that he then commited suicide was added on to the end of the report as a bit of an afterthought. Just another example of media bias towards stories with some good video :rolleyes:

suzy1K Feb 11, 2006 2:40 pm

Another possibility...
In some lavs (and I haven't memorized the differences between them, trying to get in & out as fast as possible ...) there is a hand grab bar. Well not really a bar, but I can't think of the right term ~ 6" long. Enough to grasp your hand onto & to get some stability if there is turbulence. Found on the non-sink wall, near the door.

More stable than the flip down coat hook on the door.

TravelinWilly Feb 11, 2006 3:21 pm

Still, this could've been an accident...

Will

Aspen Feb 11, 2006 9:48 pm

[QUOTE=wimpypipsqueak]This story made it to the TV news in SYD on last night. Apparently, Mr. Georgettis was Australian, so that made for a good news story here. The friends that were interviewed all imply that he was quite level headed.

Sydney newspapers now have the story

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...542446976.html

michaele Feb 12, 2006 3:12 am

RIP Gerry

Had worked some (Rock and Roll) shows many years ago here in Australia with Gerry, did not know each other well but enough to say hi. He was always a decent guy and was very well repesected.

A very sad situation, so glad to hear nobody else was hurt. Makes one wonder what was going on in his life to lead to this.

There but for the grace of God go you or I.

RIP Gerry