Wiki Posts
Search

SPG or Marriott or Hilton?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
SPG or Marriott or Hilton?

I need to decide which hotel is going to be my chain for business stays. My company will let me do any I want. Where can I find the pros/cons of SPG vs Marriott vs Hilton vs ? ?

TIA
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
If you do a search on titles only with hilton and starwood in the subject in the Advanced Search of the Starwood and Hilton forums, you will see some discussion.

here is one of the more recent ones:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ilton+starwood
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:00 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thegingerman
I need to decide which hotel is going to be my chain for business stays. My company will let me do any I want. Where can I find the pros/cons of SPG vs Marriott vs Hilton vs ? ?

TIA

I suspect most people in this forum will say SPG is the best whereas most people in the Marriott forum will say MR is the best and most people in the Hilton forum will say HH is the best.

Seriously, a lot of it depends on where you travel and who has hotels near by. *Wood has roughly 750 hotels whereas Marriott and Hilton have many, many more. This could be an issue if you travel to places like El Paso, TX (no *Wood properties). Every program is slightly different and it depends on what matters to you. Personally, I love SPG, can't stand MR (still a Plat and still get lousy service from people who are unable to decipher what "high floor, away from elevator, thank you" means) and think most Hilton's (and their lesser bretheren) should be "remodeled" with a wrecking ball and some dynamite.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:14 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star

TIA
A lot depends on where you travel, and your price range.

To me the Hilton chain is better at the low end. Hampton Inns are more consistent than the 4 Points. And there are brands such as Hilton Garden and Embassy Suites that provide decent low-mid range

At the mid - high end, the upgrade possibilities with SPG through Sheraton and Westin are excellent, and provide very good value in a full service property. I'm not a huge fan of the W but some of the St. Regis properties are memorable. Also I cannot say enough about the quality and consistency of the Heavanly Bed and Sweet Sleepers!

Marriott have good properties throughout their brands, but I made a concious decision not to accumulate points in their program because it takes too many stays to reach the top level. I hold HH Dimond and SPG Platinum, but I could not have two programs if I went to Mariott.

Personally I rank my preferences as SPG, HH, MR, although I would give MR serious consideration and drop HH if they matched their top tier qualification to HH. IMHO none of the frequent guest programs are worth much unless you get to the top tier.

DF
Old Aug 4, 2005, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
This is a long discussion in the Hilton forum (Starwood vs Hilton):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ilton+starwood
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
I like the Starwood product best - it is certainly more "high end." But, they typically cost more and have fewer locations than the other two. Speaking as one who's company pays for my stays, I go with *Wood when I can. Also, when you redeem points *Wood has better high end hotels around the world, generally speaking.

If your company can handle the *Wood rates and the locations work for you, then *Wood is a "no-brainer."

Otherwise I would go with Hilton. Forget Marriott!
Old Aug 4, 2005, 9:15 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
As someone who is Platinum or Diamond at all 3 of the chains you mentioned, my preference is Starwood, Hilton and then Marriott. I got started with Marriott due to co-workers and hate the choice I made but ended up with well over 1.5 million points so its a little too late to back-out for me. Hilton is generally better than Marriott in my opinion. I would use Starwood as my primary and Hilton as a backup (if you need to travel to suburbs/small cities). In my opinion, Marriott has a very US/UK focus and lacks locations at more exotic places (where I would choose to use those points). Marriott requires way too many nights and I am considering not staying at all at Marriott. Honestly, I see very little benefit as a Platinum member at Marriott and would not care if I used my points there as a no-name member. The Marriott resort locations do not even offer breakfast. Marriott provides me breakfast when someone else (my company) is going to pick up the tab anyway but does not do it when I pay (resorts/weekends). If you have more specific questions, ask away.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:12 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I agree with most here that *wood is the best all-around choice and best for redemption of SPG program benefits, but locations/properties are limited so, though a long-time *wood loyalist, I've had to roam to Hilton (HH) and a little to Marriott (MC). I also agree that there are a lot of variables that go into the answer of "what's the best?"

Just to give an example of how variables work: if the most important aim in NYC is a fairly modern property with a nice indoor pool, comp generous buffet bkfst and good upgrade potential as a mid-level elite, the downtown Hilton Millenium has any *wood property beat, hands down.

What I've found (and I'm referring to the chains' full-line offerings) is that HH has a lot of variables in property quality though lately, staff seems nicer and more empowered; but they can't rebuild the hotel as you check in, if it's a substandard building. Get a good property and a suite or executive level u/g as a mid-tier elite and life is good. Get a poor property, an old bed and no upgrade and *wood sure looks good -- if one is around.

MC prides itself on universal sameness - same look and feel whether Stamford, CT or Seattle, WA. Many very nice working people in the properties but I agree that its "rewards" program is highly challenged.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1P, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

TIA
Have only stayed with HHonors and SPG. As a mid tier elite, I think HH is better than SPG in the low to mid levels. Complimentry breakfast, suite upgrads when available(never on SPG Gold), Double Dip points and miles, etc... However, HHonors mid to high level properties can not compare to SPG, I just love the heavenly and sweet sleeper beds! HHonors, are you listening! Never made it to top tier in either progame, so I can't comment.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:50 am
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat

TIA

The bottom line is where do you travel. SPG is not everywhere but both Marriot and Hilton can be found in many mid-size towns. If you only travel to major cities SPG gives you the best overall point/point use options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.