Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Downgrading rights on aircraft changes??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat (3 MM), Marriott Plat.
Involuntary Downgrading rights on aircraft changes??

Just curious if anyone knows where I can turn for help?

I confirmed a ticket on CX from HKG-BAH in First Class using AA miles about 3 months ago. Recently CX downgraded my flight from A330 to 777 and now only offers J and Y class. They re-booked me in J class, but wont rebook via anywhere else to remain in F class, which is what I'm using miles for. AA wont do anything as travel already began on this ticket, so they wont re-book or offer any miles for the involuntary downgrade. Who is ultimately responsible here, CX or AA?

If this is the case, then any airline at anytime can change an aircraft configuration and involuntary downgrade anyone without any compensation?? I have about a month before this flight so any recommendations on where to turn would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...............
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:33 pm

Joe, you might have better luck posting this one in the AA forum where it is more likely that somebody will see it who has faced the same, exact situation with AA/CX. Personally, I have found that when presented with the facts, in the end AA has almost always been willing to "do the right thing" in unusual situations like this, so I hope that at a minimum they refund the mileage difference for you. It has been my experience that I get better responses from them when I write a letter than when I call or email (although I realize that snail mail may be too slow to get a response before your flight date). Good luck to you!
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by JoePilot

I confirmed a ticket on CX from HKG-BAH in First Class using AA miles about 3 months ago. Recently CX downgraded my flight from A330 to 777 and now only offers J and Y class. They re-booked me in J class, but wont rebook via anywhere else to remain in F class, which is what I'm using miles for. AA wont do anything as travel already began on this ticket, so they wont re-book or offer any miles for the involuntary downgrade. Who is ultimately responsible here, CX or AA?

If this is the case, then any airline at anytime can change an aircraft configuration and involuntary downgrade anyone without any compensation?? I have about a month before this flight so any recommendations on where to turn would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...............
I think we need to first address your premise. I don't think we have a "right" to fly, and because of that we certainly don't have any rights when involuntary downgrading begins. If people had a right to fly imagine what would happen when flights get cancelled -- there would be lawsuits from everywhere from people claiming that their civil liberties were denied.

The airline can decide to change aircrafts on their own without needing to tell passengers beforehand. So changing airplanes is perfectly fine.

I think AA is responsible. You used AA miles and not CX miles, so you used AA's services to go on the trip. The only compensation I think you would/could get is miles back in your account, and not monetary compensation. I would write a letter to AA customer service explaining what happened and ask for compensation.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 5:25 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
I agree this is better answered in the AA forum, by experts that hang there.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 6:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You could request AA refund the pro-rata difference between F and J for the segment the class of service ticketed wasn't provided, but as far as RIGHTS to fly in a particular seat or class, most airlines have Conditions of Carriage simialr to American's Conditions of Carriage , which say, in part:

"RESPONSIBILITY FOR SCHEDULES AND OPERATIONS

American will endeavor to carry you and your baggage with reasonable dispatch, but times shown in timetables or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of this contract. American may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or aircraft and, if necessary, may alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket. Schedules are subject to change without notice. American is not responsible for or liable for failure to make connections, or to operate any flight according to schedule, or for a change to the schedule of any flight. Under no circumstances shall American be liable for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing." (My italics.)

Contact American - they accepted your "payment" or miles, not CX; only AA can restore some.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

I don't understand. What does the fact that the flight already started have to do with rebooking? AA can rebook you in another HKG-BAH flight on CX that might have F. Unfortunately, none of them do. I think you are in a tight spot. CX has no obligation to do anything for you, since you are using AA miles, and they do what they've done to you with distressing frequency. You might get a break from AA if you write them a nice letter asking for the mile difference on that segment.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 8:15 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
You could request AA refund the pro-rata difference between F and J for the segment the class of service ticketed wasn't provided, but as far as RIGHTS to fly in a particular seat or class, most airlines have Conditions of Carriage simialr to American's Conditions of Carriage , which say, in part:
While I agree with you on this, in general, JDiver, I think that using awards for a certain class of service does give the right to that class, or a right to a refund of the difference, as you suggest. However, I think it is a right, in this case, as a particular class was purchased with the award- either for the class or the mileage back.

Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat (3 MM), Marriott Plat.
Everyone, thanks for all your tips, I appreciate the info!

Next time I'll post accordingly to the AA forum....just wasn't sure this time.

Again, many thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2005, 1:49 am

Programs: AA-PLT,-EXEC 2.7MM + UA-Former1k
Can someone tell me how to use AA miles to upgrade on CX?

Hi,

I recently flew AA codeshare BOS -> HKG. BOS-> LAX on AA. LAX -> HKG on CX. About two weeks prior, I asked AA to upgrade me - they said no dice, CX would not honor my status or miles. However, when returning and using the CX lounge on my return, the CX agent said that had I transferred miles from AA to CX, they would have allowed me to upgrade if there was room. I've since called AA about this and they claim to know nothing about this, and they have no idea how this is done. I'd heard of this procedure some time ago, but forgotten. I see in a previous post in this thread that the original poster had gotten their upgrade (unfortunately downgraded) with transferred miles. Could someone explain how this is done?

thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Bartonio
However, when returning and using the CX lounge on my return, the CX agent said that had I transferred miles from AA to CX, they would have allowed me to upgrade if there was room. I've since called AA about this and they claim to know nothing about this, and they have no idea how this is done.
For once, the CX agent was yanking your chain, and the AA agent was correct. You can't "transfer" AA miles to Asiamiles.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

First question - is there another CX flight which does have F? If so, AA can certainly help to try and rebook. It'll be subject to availability.

If you're trying to rebook on a different carrier's flight (but still oneWorld) then you're out of luck. Ticket changes after travel begins is largely restricted to the same airlines.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Everyone, thanks for all your tips, I appreciate the info!

Next time I'll post accordingly to the AA forum....just wasn't sure this time.

Again, many thanks!
JoePilot,

Hopefully you'll write that letter to AA and get some miles back. Could you be sure to come back and let us know what they end up doing? Always good for future reference.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Aug 6, 2005, 8:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
They will not rebook via somewhere else if CX serves your destination IMO - you asked for and received CX flights, and apparently they have put on two-class 777s and pulled the A330-300 they also run to Bahrain? If this happened, consider that on award or even paid "A" RTW tickets, you normally will take a downgrade to the highest available class of service, in your case Business. (They're certainly not going to put you on the GF flight.)

From what I recall about this, you are not likely to get any miles back, either, and it is SOP. Other FTers have written about this - JonNYC on an "A" RTW ticket when he was downgraded from SCL-IPC because LAN flew a two class 767-300 on that route when he did it.

It's always worth trying, but unless I have measured it incorrectly, after rading the thread again, I don't think you will be successful in requesting compo miles from AA.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
From what I recall about this, you are not likely to get any miles back, either, and it is SOP. Other FTers have written about this - JonNYC on an "A" RTW ticket when he was downgraded from SCL-IPC because LAN flew a two class 767-300 on that route when he did it.
Right, but I if I recall correctly there was specific language in the "A" fare rules stating that there was no compensation due in a downgrade situation like that. Since Joe was on an award ticket and was originally confirmed in F on all segments, I think he should get a prorated mileage refund.

Last edited by dogcanyon; Aug 6, 2005 at 8:54 am
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:02 am

The Contract of Carriage may state that the airline has the right to change aircraft BUT THAT IS NOT THE QUESTION.
You paid for a SPECIFIC CLASS OF SERVICE either in cash or in miles and therefore you are entitled to that class of service or a refund of the difference.
Airlines sell seats in a specific class of service, they no NOT sell seats on a specific type of aircraft. For the airline to try and tell you different would be
dishonest.

You were downgraded one class correct ? Would those people on this forum that think that is OK think the same if they were down graded from Business Class to Coach ? I doubt it. BUT that is being downgraded one class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.