Search

Lower fares on American at MIA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Lower fares on American at MIA

This might be good news.

American Airlines Restructures Pricing at Miami International Airport, Lowering 'Walk-Up' Fares and Eliminating Minimum Stay Requirements

Thursday November 18, 12:00 pm ET

New Price Structure Combined With Unmatched Convenience Makes American Airlines Even More Competitive in Miami

MIAMI, Nov. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- American Airlines today unveiled a new simplified domestic fare structure for South Florida. As a result, domestic fares to and from Miami International Airport (MIA) are now simpler and more competitive than ever for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection.

With American's new pricing structure at Miami, everyday domestic fares are much simpler, with fewer coach fare levels in each market. American has also eliminated many fare restrictions, including all Saturday night stay requirements. In addition, tickets for nonstop itineraries to and from Miami are available for one-way purchase.

"This fundamental restructuring of domestic fares for American Airlines and American Eagle in Miami further strengthens our competitive position in South Florida. We have eliminated Saturday night stay requirements and other significant restrictions to give our customers easier access to great fares and all the conveniences of Miami International Airport," said Peter J. Dolara, American's Senior Vice President-Miami, Caribbean, and Latin America. "This change is a winning proposition for customers in Miami looking for convenience and value and is vital to the prosperity of our community, which requires an airport that can compete with other markets."

Fares for last-minute domestic travel have been dramatically reduced, particularly in Miami, where one-way coach "walk-up" fares are discounted up to 85 percent off previous walk-up fare levels not requiring a minimum stay. The highest one-way full coach fares are set at $499, $599, or $699, depending on mileage -- most fares are much lower. In addition, American offers a range of advance-purchase fares, each without a minimum-stay requirement. Change fees from all three South Florida airports have also been set at a standard $50, down from $100 in some cases, making it easier for customers to adjust their travel plans when the need arises.

Along with fare changes in Miami, American's fares for Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach airports have been similarly restructured to give travelers throughout South Florida more access to more great fares with fewer restrictions. More information is available online at http://www.aa.com/simplifiedpricing .

Dolara added that this bold fare-simplification initiative is the latest sign of American's commitment to working with local community leaders to boost Miami's popularity and ensure its success as the hub of the Americas.

American's simpler, competitive fares, combined with strengths that only a global airline can offer -- including an extensive network, extensive flight schedule, the AAdvantage® travel rewards program and oneworld Alliance -- makes American Airlines the best value for travel to and from South Florida. From Miami, American and American Eagle offer 128 daily flights to 38 destinations in the U.S. and Canada.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041118/dath022_1.html
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:14 am

Quite a nice change considering the rediculous nature of the fares into/outof Miami prior to this. St. Louis was particularly egregious. I will be very interested to see how this change affects the availability of fare buckets for connecting flights through Miami. I'm a big fan of the mileage run going through Miami with a long layover, should be nice to see some more availability.

I did one trial run on ITA and Dec 3 return the 4th (Friday and Saturday) STL-MIA comes in at $243. Very good.

They also buried the news that this pricing also affects FLL and PBI. The fares there are even better. The same itinerary above into PBI goes for $187. That's quite nice for a winter fare. Thank goodness for the threat of LCC competition.

Last edited by tfjim; Nov 18, 2004 at 10:25 am
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:17 am

Might be good news--Particularly the reduced change fee. Think it is too soon to tell though. The only fares listed so far are walk-up fares. I wonder how it will impact excursion fares.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:49 am

Looks good to me. I checked a random Monday-Saturday in February and got a fare of $443.40 from SGF to MIA. A trip without a Saturday night had been nearly $1000 before. It's non-refundable, but has no minimum stay or day of week restrictions. Much improved!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:53 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
the press release made me laugh. why?

AA Walk-Up Fare*

* Fares shown are expressed as one-way for economy-class travel purchased on AA.com, and do not require a minimum stay. Fares do not include government-imposed taxes and fees.

their great new "walk-up" fares are $10 higher if you actually walk up! :-)
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Seat1A
their great new "walk-up" fares are $10 higher if you actually walk up! :-)
Good point. That is pretty funny!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does AA face a serious LCC threat in South Florida? I know they LCC's serve the market, but I can't of one using it as a base.

In other words, why do this in South Florida if there is no competitive reason to do so?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does AA face a serious LCC threat in South Florida? I know they LCC's serve the market, but I can't of one using it as a base.

In other words, why do this in South Florida if there is no competitive reason to do so?
Every LCC with a base elsewhere flew into Florida as it has significant leisure travel. Even Hooters had their flights configured as ATL-FL and EWR-FL. You couldn't get a connecting ATL-EWR flight.

The prices to/fro South FL at least from the East Coast were already LCC-like for most airlines with no Sat night restrictions.

So this is an incremental change for AA and has an implication only on the walk-up fare market which wasn't buying at AA's prices.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:50 pm

I was looking at fares from DFW into Fort Lauderdale for mid December on monday. The fare was $166, without a SAT Stay. This morning it is $250. Not sure how this is a lower fare.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by JimLeo
I was looking at fares from DFW into Fort Lauderdale for mid December on monday. The fare was $166, without a SAT Stay. This morning it is $250. Not sure how this is a lower fare.
In the thread on additional Q&A that was deleted, AA had mentioned that the lowest fares would go up. They are not reducing all fares. They are reducing the number of fare levels which includes chopping off at the top and at the bottom and capping it at the top.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 3:09 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by tfjim
They also buried the news that this pricing also affects FLL and PBI. The fares there are even better. The same itinerary above into PBI goes for $187. That's quite nice for a winter fare. Thank goodness for the threat of LCC competition.
I noticed that. Sidestep checks MIA/FLL/PBI when the box is checked, and I found a huge savings (from $/mile perspective) to CDG from PBI - $439.35 all-in PBI-ORD-CDG-DFW-PBI.

From MIA $483.85 MIA-CDG-MIA

From DFW $544.85 DFW-CDG-DFW

From ORD $466.85 ORD-CDG-ORD

Funny, though. If you live in Milwaukee, it's cheaper to fly MKE-DFW-CDG-DFW-MKE ($454.35) than to drive to Chicago and fly from there. Also notice that this fare is $100 less than living in Dallas and taking the same CDG flights.

Crazy world.

Sam
Old Nov 18, 2004, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Via email:

American's new simplified domestic pricing to South Florida has dramatically reduced fares with no advance purchase and eliminated many fare restrictions - including Saturday-night stay requirements.

You can also get one-way fares on all nonstop flights to Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. So whether you are booking your ticket at the last minute or planning a trip well in advance, look to American Airlines to find a great deal to South Florida!

Check out American's simplified pricing at http://info.aa.com/Key=42703.MDX.C.HHPSxl today!
These "walk-up" fares are good incentive for last minute flights. Should incentivize a few more spur-of-the-moment flights. And putting together a one-way here and a one-way there could make for some interesting travel options.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 18, 2004 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 18, 2004, 4:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
There's been a lot in the news today, here in South Florida, regarding AA's lower fares out of MIA. But something else was mentioned that I haven't read here. Apparently, AA is removing pillows from all their MD-80s!! This move supposedly will save AA an aditional $300,000+ annually. I wonder whether or not it's on every MD-80 flight. These planes are used on some really long routes, including the MIA-LAX transcon. What is AA going to take away from us next?

Last edited by Neal; Nov 18, 2004 at 4:14 pm
Old Nov 18, 2004, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.8MM, UA 1k, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
These are similar to the removal of restrictions on multiple city itineraries. I was suprised this fall when booking some trips from DEN-LGA-MIA-DEN of getting fares of $350.

Also got DEN-MIA-DTW-DEN for under $300. For these business trips I used to have to rig multiple roundtrips to make these work on AA or fly LCCs that had the low one way fares.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 4:46 pm

...you see, if you remove the pillows, you will get lower fares.
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA,DL,UA,US
Originally Posted by Neal
There's been a lot in the news today, here in South Florida, regarding AA's lower fares out of MIA. But something else was mentioned that I haven't read here. Apparently, AA is removing pillows from all their MD-80s!! This move supposedly will save AA an aditional $300,000+ annually. I wonder whether or not it's on every MD-80 flight. These planes are used on some really long routes, including the MIA-LAX transcon. What is AA going to take away from us next?
Neal, you may want to check your facts. Out of AA's 5 non-stop MIA-LAX flights, none are operated by a Super-80. It's a combo of 757's and 767's so you will still get your pillows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.