Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

SJO / San Jose, Costa Rica IB Contract (VIP) Lounge (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:36 am
formerly gemini573
Original Poster

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS

I will be travelling to SJO in 3 weeks. Is there an Admiral's Club or a oneworld lounge at SjO?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There is NO Admirals Club and NO oneworld Lounge at SJO / San José, Costa Rica.

The VIP Lounge is an IB Contract Lounge only (no oneworld access benefits), but day access can be purchased. See JDiver's post #37 for current (31 Jan 2012) information.

For information on the SJC / San José, California Admirals Club, NOW CLOSED, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...17-2010-a.html

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 31, 2012 at 8:59 am Reason: insert moderator's note
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Neither.

(extra characters because of minimum post length)
Old Jan 22, 2006, 4:16 pm

Has this changed or is this information still acurate? I didn't see a location on American's website but wanted to confirm as I am trying to decide whether it's worth getting a first class ticket (with lounge access on the SJO side much more important to me than on the JFK side).

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2006, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Many Latin America airports have independent lounges that are open to J/F travellers (ie SPS.) AA also has lounge-like facilities in LA airports that are not ACs, and would not be mistaken for ACs, but provide some degree of privacy and civilization (ie POP.) Although I have been to SJO I don't know the answer to your question, but a quick review of prioritypass.com indicates they have a lounge affiliation in SJO- so joining them for ~$300 for a year may be a better investment than the F ticket surcharge. Enjoy the pura vida.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
If SJO is like MGA there is an airport run lounge (free for COPA and TACA) 1st class, discounted for some local Visa cardholders, that charges US$35 for a separate security entrance, three drinks and a plate of sandwiches and they do the checkin, boarding passes and luggage.

Apparently you can arrange arrival for the same price, clearing you though immigration and customs and getting your bags. The arrivals at MGA are so fast there is no point using that service but the departure lounge is great.

SJO probably has a variation on that. Check with a local or the airport web site or see if there is a COPA or TACA lounge on their sites, called Sala VIP or similar.

There is also a super VIP arrival facility for diplomats and people like Juanes and Paulina Rubio that is not for payment. I guess it is arranged by promoters etc.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 6:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
TACA does not operate a TACA Salón VIP at Aeropuerto Internacional Juan Santamaria, San José, Costa Rica; you can see a list of TACA lounges here.

COPA has a shared Presidents Club with CO at its hub at PTY.

Priority Pass seems to be the ONLY place / company that claims a lounge access at SJO - a search with Google et al in English and Spanish reveals nada. You could always ask there "Hay salón VIP?" (eye sol-LOAN veh ee peh? is fairly close for Inglitch speakers...)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 22, 2006 at 8:32 pm Reason: add COPA info, kill the spill chicken
Old Jan 22, 2006, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
While I did not tajke advantage of the ounge when we were at SJO in August, I did notice a "Salon VIP" on the lower level -- its access is right by the "food court."

I do not remember the exact details and couldn't find anything online in a quick search, but I do recall the setup being similar to what ricktoronto mentioned for MGA -- I believe it was $25-35 with drinks and hot entrees included.

The website of the airport operator isn't working properly for me, but I imagine it has some details about the lounge too.

Unless you're fixin' for US franchises, the dining and entertainment options (other than free wireless) are pretty non-inspiring at SJO, so the lounge might be a good investment if you've got some extra time.

Last edited by snorkmaster; Jan 22, 2006 at 8:19 pm
Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Remember that they usually want reservations in advance (MGA does) so ask for the number on arrival or check the phone book under the airport authority and there should be a listing.
Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For definitive information about a local lounge, since there seem to be largely guesses here, I'd actually recommend inquiring on arrival at SJO (perhaps at the AA or TACA counters if they aren't populated with queue-standers.) Latin American telephone books are often not so easy to figure out - and they will vary by location.

Ticos are very helpful - it's likely one will actually walk you to the VIP lounge. The only problem is that the frequent Latin lack of tolerance for directness might have someone walking you around the airport terminal buiding without any real idea of where the sala / salón VIP is.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 29, 2009 at 3:15 pm Reason: typeos
Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:35 pm

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm definitely going to look into these non-branded lounges, and I'm thinking I'll save my miles and stick with a coach seat (which I was happy to see open up on the same flights that previously I'd only been able to get first class on -- 30K miles for an otherwise $650 ticket seems like a great deal to me!).
Old Jan 23, 2006, 1:46 pm
Suspended

There's a lounge on the basement floor. The stairs are near the food court. I think it's about $35 to get in. They have wi-fi (which didn't work) free food and PAY FOR cocktails. IIRC, no F/J boarding pass will get you in.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Smile Admirals Club at San Jose Costa Rica

Can anyone give me details of what the Admirals Club at San Jose airport is like as if it not so good then will not arrive early. Planning on taking AA988 in Business Class to MIA.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by col747uk
Can anyone give me details of what the Admirals Club at San Jose airport is like as if it not so good then will not arrive early. Planning on taking AA988 in Business Class to MIA.
there is no AC in SJO. Not even a OneWorld lounge you get comp access to. There is a lounge on the lower level near the smoking lounge, but this is open to anyone who pays the $ 24 (I think) access fee. It's comparable to a smaller AC.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:19 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
so he'she probably did not read the thread.
Or the AC listing on AA.com, apparently.

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
OW Lounge access for AA Plat in SJO???

Are there any Oneworld lounges in SJO, that I can access as an AA Plat?

The OW site indicates one but it is listed as 3rd party. Has anyone had experience with access to this lounge using either Plat privs on INTL Biz privs.

The other one listed is the SJC one being listed for AA since the OW site does not distinguish between SJC and SJO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.