Search

Using BPMT9M -- bad news and good news

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Using BPMT9M -- bad news and good news

All's Well That Ends Well

A family friend is reaching the end of a long bout with cancer, and I decided to try to use these systemwides to get my son and wife home from Japan with less than a week's notice. I did not have the T&C's so I called MP. I never got the e-mail that I had earned these, and although I had made two previous attempts to get these tkts into my account, the CSR went over my account for a 3rd time to verify that I had earned them. I asked if my account could be noted and the CSR replied that after I made the reservation it would be sent to MP for verification that I had qualified and ticketing. When I heard that the tkts require 14 days advance reservation I told my son to look for alternatives. But my son worked for UA until recently (an amicable parting) and he said that if there were availability I could probably get a waiver.

I called res and the CSR said there is availability and seemed to want to make the exception. He talked to his supervisor and MP and said that if he sent the res to MP outside the rules it would not be ticketed. He suggested I call Customer Relations and went ahead and put the res on 24 hour hold. He also apologized that no one at res seemed to have heard of this award or knew how to handle it. After several lengthy holds with CR they agreed to make a one-time exception. Then I called res again and after several holds they agreed to send the res to MP for ticketing and that ticketing could take up to 48 hours. Because I wanted to send an e-mail confirmation before they left the office Friday Japan time, after 24 hours I called res to see if it had been ticketed. At first the CSR said it was just on 24 hour hold until midnight. I persisted. When she spoke to her supervisor (long hold) they agreed that time was getting short and it should be ticketed immediately. The CSR said not to stay on hold but the super was working it out with MP and I could call back in 1/2 hour and it would be ticketed. I called back 8 hrs later and it was not done. That CSR said not to worry as it is just a clerical thing. So this morning, 48 hours after the res and less that 24 hours before departure, I called again and it still was not ticketed. The CSR said to hold (long hold) while she gets it ticketed. When she came back to the phone she said it has been ticketed and I have now received the e-mail receipt for the tax.

Admittedly part of the problem was using the tkts on short notice. But these tkts seem problematic to use because they repeatedly verify qualification, so when the airlines cite the expense of ticketing award tkts it was certainly true in this case. But there must be some better way for these promos to be credited and ticketed.

Thank you UA for having a heart. And for those in similar circumstances, my son said if there is availability they will probably do it, and if you get a reservation in the system that is the hardest part of the battle -- after that just perservere (long hold).
Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
This was from the 1 for 2 promotion (MPD414)

Condolences to your friend and family. It's good that United had a heart in this case, and you were successful in finally getting this ticketed.

I haven't redeemed either of my 2 BPMT9M awards yet, and am not looking forward to the hassle (even though I don't expect to ask for any waivers of conditions or anything). I only received an e-mail for the first one, and called UA to verify that I indeed qualified for the second one.

Just to jog people's memory, this was from the following promo (MPD414):

================================================== =
Fly twice, and the third time is on us ...
anywhere United flies

Free* award travel doesn't come any easier than this:
Register and fly two paid, qualifying roundtrips on
United nonstop service between New York City/Boston/Newark
and select cities in California from now through
April 15, 2004, and you'll get a FREE* roundtrip economy class
ticket to anywhere United flies.

That's right -- ANYWHERE. Take your pick of 184 airports
in 22 countries, including:

-- Hong Kong
-- Paris
-- Japan
-- Hawaii
-- And anywhere else we can take you!

So if there's an exciting destination you've always wanted
to visit, now is your chance to go ... our treat. You can earn
up to two free* tickets with this promotion.

Qualifying roundtrips are flights between: New York (JFK)
and Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO); Boston and
Los Angeles (LAX) or San Francisco (SFO); Newark and
Los Angeles (LAX).

Simply register before you travel at united.com/1for2.
For more information about flights or to make your reservations
online, please visit united.com.

---------------------------------------------------
TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Offer valid on qualifying, paid published
fares in United First(R), United Business(R) or United Economy(R).
Offer valid for travel between January 20, 2004 and April 15, 2004.
Travel must be completed by April 15, 2004. Offer valid on the
following nonstop flights between: New York (JFK only) and
Los Angeles (LAX only), New York (JFK only) and San Francisco,
Boston and Los Angeles (LAX only), Boston and San Francisco,
or Newark and Los Angeles (LAX only). Offer valid upon completion
of two eligible qualifying roundtrips. A roundtrip is defined as
travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel
beginning in the outbound destination city back to the first
origin city with all segments on United. Offer is combinable
with other offers. Valid for residents of the U.S., Canada,
Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Registration is required.
Must be a Mileage Plus member to participate in the offer.
Valid only on flights operated by United and not on United-marketed
code-share flights operated by other carriers. A maximum
of two award tickets may be earned by any individual.
Flights must be credited to the Mileage Plus account in order
to qualify. Qualifying roundtrip cannot include a Saturday night stay.
Not valid on government fares. Offer subject to change
without notice. Other restrictions may apply.

Free Economy Award Ticket Terms & Conditions: Free Award tickets
are valid for Economy class roundtrip travel systemwide on flights
marketed and operated by United, United Express(R) and Ted(SM) only.
Award tickets can only be booked through United Airlines.
Members will be notified 6-8 weeks after qualifying travel is
completed. Free ticket will be ticketed as United Economy Saver Award.
Award tickets valid for travel between April 16, 2004 and April 15, 2005.
Award ticket must be booked by April 1, 2005. Destinations subject
to change. No stopovers or circle trips allowed. Tickets must be booked
in Economy XY booking class. Seats are limited and may not be available
on all flights or on all days of the week. Free award ticket is transferable.
May not be bartered or sold. Not upgradeable. Award travel must be booked
at least 14 days prior to departure and must include a Saturday night stay.
Maximum stay is 30 days. Award ticket does not accrue Mileage Plus miles
or earn miles toward elite status. No changes can be made after ticketed
departure date for any portion of the ticket. Changes made before departure
are subject to a service charge of $100. Offer is subject to change without
notice. Other restrictions may apply.

*Free Ticket Additional Taxes/Fees: Taxes and fees related to the free
award travel are the responsibility of the passenger. The passenger is
responsible for all applicable taxes/fees for the free award travel,
which may include the September 11th Security Fee of up to $10 maximum
per roundtrip, Passenger Facility charges of up to $18 depending on itinerary,
and a $3.10 per flight segment tax. A flight segment is defined as one
take-off and one landing. Award travel for Alaska does not include a $6.90
(each way) international departure tax. Award travel for San Juan, Puerto Rico,
and the U.S. Virgin Islands does not include a $13.70 (each way) international
arrival and departure tax. All international award travel is subject to U.S.
arrival and departure taxes and agricultural, immigrations and customs fees
of up to $40. For travel to some countries, additional airport, transportation,
embarkation, security, duty, equalization and passenger service taxes/surcharges
of up to $48 will apply depending on destination. For return travel from
some countries, fares do not include airport and/or departure taxes of up to
$36, which may be collected by the foreign government. United may change
Mileage Plus program rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers,
or terminate the Mileage Plus program at any time and without notice.
Mileage Plus participation may not be permitted in some countries.
United and Mileage Plus are registered service marks. Refer to promotion code
MPD 414.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:46 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=22732
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Premier
You were fortunate that UA waived the 14 day advance ticket provision. My friend's partner's father passed away a month ago and I tried to use my BPMT9M award to get my friend to SIN for the wake and funeral. UA 1P desk wouldn't ticket the reservation because it was less than 14 days in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Try another CSR?

Foady,

This might have been a case where you could have tried another CSR because it does seem very dependent on who you are lucky/unlucky to speak to. My son reminded me that unless you get a something booked, they have no record to note that they have already told you no. I was lucky to get a sympathetic res CSR and someone sympathetic in Customer Relations also. It also makes a big difference if seats are available in the applicable fare buckets -- we asked for Sunday or Monday. Sunday was not possible, but Monday was. Sorry your experience was not a good one.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:15 am

Programs: UA-1P
Sympathy to all in this situation.

I followed the profiles rules and I had no problem making a reservation, nor in ticketing it. I flew the four round trips LAX-JFK (19,800), got my 2 round trip certs and made my reservations. This deal was to hot to pass. A domestic saver tkt is 25K. I am able to fly 2 people LAX-SYD.

Originally Posted by last2board
When I heard that the tkts require 14 days advance reservation I told my son to look for alternatives. But my son worked for UA until recently (an amicable parting) and he said that if there were availability I could probably get a waiver.

UA allowed for an exception in the OP case, and further down in the thread they did not. The OP, whose son worked for UA suggested the waiver. The poster further down the thread did not have an employee/ past or present advising them. So, I am sad to see the OP post this type of note. If UA made an exception, that was it. It was between you and UA.

I know UA has a heart. I also know UA has rules. I also know as a person married to a UA staffer, I would never suggest hang up and call again. I hear stories about the inconsistency at UA from my spouse, they dislike them. I also read about the inconsistencies here and it is even more distested. Yet, I see several times a month the phrase, "hang up and call again." But it kills me to see it from an employee.

Last edited by flyingh2oboy; Aug 29, 2004 at 11:18 am
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

If rules are rules, why IS there so much inconsistency? Perhaps some of the "rules" are actually guidelines which can be interpeted by the employees. And if the seats were available, who was harmed? UA did gain revenue from my taking cross contry flights I probably would not have taken. And I will probably participate in further promos because I was able to use the tkts when we most needed them. When I did this promo and Fly 3, Fly 6 I was worried about being able to use the tickets because of some articles like the one on Smarter Living that said there could be too many promos resulting in too many free tkts resulting difficulty redeeming them. UA also said this was a onetime exception, and I am fine with that. I usually am very willing to follow the T&C's

My mother and sister hardly ever fly. When they do they use US Air and Delta. They have noticed inconsistencies on several occasions, and I have heard them say, "If you don't like the answer, try another CSR." They don't read Flyertalk, they were not advised by an employee, they noticed it for themselves. There is widespread inconsistency in the industry. Why should a consumer not use it to his advantage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.