Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Delta unlikely to cut SkyMiles....if files bankruptcy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2004, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5297869/

The SkyMiles frequent-flier program by Delta Air Lines Inc. is probably the last program executives would tinker with if the struggling carrier ends up in bankruptcy.

Frequent-flier and marketing experts say the couple hundred million dollars in annual cost savings Delta would achieve from SkyMiles cuts would not justify the irate backlash the airline would likely get from its 35 million SkyMiles members.

"If Delta made any cuts to SkyMiles, there is no doubt that other carriers, including AirTran, would love to take that negative feedback and shove it in Delta's face," said Randy Petersen, editor and publisher of Inside Flyer, which tracks frequent-flier programs of all major commercial airlines. "Once you've earned those points for your loyalty, it would be unspeakable for someone to take them away." .........
Old Jun 28, 2004, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
By eliminating SkyMiles, Delta would not only eliminate the costs (eg: free tickets, upgrades) but also the revenue it brings in. This includes both indirect revenue (people choosing to fly Delta to get miles) but direct revenue (partners buying SkyMiles to give to customers).

I have often thought that if Delta were to cease operations it would be an extremely wise move by another airline to pay Delta for the list of SkyMiles members, including their status and SkyMiles balance, and then to give those passengers equal standing (and equal miles).

This company would be seen as a savior by SkyMiles members and immediately get an extremely loyal group of frequent flyers.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSNBC.COM
To combat deeply discounted tickets, Delta began taking into account the price customers paid for plane tickets when awarding SkyMiles points to its Medallion members.
You know, it's simply not a true statement.

Originally Posted by MSNBC.COM
Those miles can be "redeemed" for free flights or catalog items, though there often are blackout dates around holidays and spring break...
Again, not true.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 4:12 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Are further cuts even possible??

As I like to explain negative numbers: If there are 7 people on the bus and 9 people get off, 2 people have get back on the bus to make it empty.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Spiff
Are further cuts even possible??

As I like to explain negative numbers: If there are 7 people on the bus and 9 people get off, 2 people have get back on the bus to make it empty.
LOL!! Great way of explaining it.
^ ^
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:02 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by Dovster
I have often thought that if Delta were to cease operations it would be an extremely wise move by another airline to pay Delta for the list of SkyMiles members, including their status and SkyMiles balance, and then to give those passengers equal standing (and equal miles).

This company would be seen as a savior by SkyMiles members and immediately get an extremely loyal group of frequent flyers.
This happened to me, and it did work the way you suspect. When OLD Frontier failed (around '85) I was based in Colorado shuttling to Phx and LA, and had 60 or so on them, and had never spent a mile. Both UA and CO picked up the list (both had DEN hubs), and gave the status for the total banked miles. I don't remember UA, but CO gave Gold. Within a year I was in NYC, and stuck with CO when Newark wasn't cool, thru Lorenzo and out the other side.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Dovster
The honeymoon would last a few months and then, greedy f****er's that we are, we'd soon be bashing the new airline as well.
Or at least this is the scenario that a couple posters in this forum would like to believe.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Cholula
The honeymoon would last a few months and then, greedy f****er's that we are, we'd soon be bashing the new airline as well.
Or at least this is the scenario that a couple posters in this forum would like to believe.
Cholula, could you share the mystery of what "f****er" actually means?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I'm pretty worried about our infamous $3600 credit to be used by Nov. 28th - any ideas on whether that would be protected too if B/R occurs before then?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Cholula, could you share the mystery of what "f****er" actually means?
jimrpa, I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you....and I've bagged my limit for the day over in the OMNI forum......
Old Jun 28, 2004, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by brendamc
I'm pretty worried about our infamous $3600 credit to be used by Nov. 28th - any ideas on whether that would be protected too if B/R occurs before then?
You would be behind a lot of other creditors and would likely be out of luck.

I don't think the situation is that dire - as long as DL doesn't go Chapter 7, then they will honor your travel credit.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:28 pm

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Red face

Originally Posted by mikey1003
The SkyMiles frequent-flier program by Delta Air Lines Inc. is probably the last program executives would tinker with if the struggling carrier ends up in bankruptcy.
Isn't it in part the previous tinkering with SkyMiles that has led DAL to its current state?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Originally Posted by Cholula
LOL...and you think it wouldnt? That everyone would welcome them with open arms and not question a single policy? If this ever happens...the honeymoon wouldnt last TWO WEEKS before the BAL's start complaining!

As for the thread topic...I dont mindlessly hoard my miles like some, so I have very little to lose!
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Pointfreak!
As for the thread topic...I dont mindlessly hoard my miles like some, so I have very little to lose!
Cholula, quit hoarding your miles and give some to Dovster.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by HeHateY
Isn't it in part the previous tinkering with SkyMiles that has led DAL to its current state?
DL and most of the other major airlines started going down the crapper in 2001 for a variety of reasons.
I've always thought that if one of the majors had REALLY improved their FF program after 9/11 so it was head and shoulders over the rest, that they could have capitalized on the poor state of affairs. And snarfed a ton of FF's to their program.
But no. It was monkey see, monkey do with the majors trying to see who could cut bennies and programs faster than the other guy. An astute marketer would have seen the trials and tribulations post 9/11 as an opportunity and not a problem. And would have used everybody else's panic to bolster their FF roster.
No one clearly stepped up to the plate with a superior FF program so today you have the majors in a death spiral and the LCC's growing. The majors, who always had an advantage over the LCC's with their superior service, comfort and FF programs, lost that advantage. So today everybody is now competing on price.
And guess who the big losers are??
My two cents worth...other's opinions will certainly vary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.