Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Miles Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2000, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Best Miles Credit Card

Hi. I'm looking to get a new credit card, and I want one that has the ability to transfer to a number of programs. Examples that I've found are American Express Membership Rewards, Diners Club Club Rewards, and hotel-affiliated credit cards, such as Starwood and Marriott?

Does anyone have these cards? How many airlines can you transfer points to? Most importantly: How is the transfer rate?

I've almost ruled out American Express Membership Rewards since there aren't many partners you can transfer to. Diners Club Club Rewards seems to have many, and I couldn't find the airline-list on the Marriott and Starwood websites.

Are there any other cards other than these four where you can transfer miles to a variety of airlines?

Also, again, how is the value of the transfer? Do you lose a lot of miles with each transfer?

Thanks! Peter.
Old Jun 20, 2000, 7:13 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Recommend Starwood Amex Optima- $20k = 25k pts = 25k mi in MANY (nearly all airline) programs (w/60k pt/annum cap)!

See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum69/HTML/000146.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum69/HTML/000185.html

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 06-20-2000).]
Old Jun 20, 2000, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

To compare with the Marrriott program:

$20K=20K points=5,000 miles
(According to conversion rates on the Marriott website)

This sounds too BAD to be true! I'm almost positive my numbers are correct.

The Starwood card sounds good, but I can not find any details about the card on their website, nor can I find the list of airline partners.

Can anyone direct me to a website?

Also, anyone have any experience with the Diners Club Club Rewards program?
Old Jun 20, 2000, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Another question: I charge a lot, and I know some programs have caps for the miles/points that can be earned? Do any of the above cards (American Express Membership Rewards, Diners Club Club Rewards, Starwood, Marriott) have caps, and if so, is this lifted for elite members (Marriott, Starwood).

Thanks! Peter.
Old Jun 20, 2000, 7:30 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Look at the following site:
http://home1.americanexpress.com/apply/i_know_which.asp

And specify the Sheraton Starwood card. It is absolutely the best frequent flyer card out there (though large spenders may be restricted by the $60,000 annual limit).
Old Jun 20, 2000, 7:32 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
I have a Hilton/AMEX card. No yearly fee, and I think the redemption rate is fairly good. I think I may get 2 miles per $spent. I haven't gotten the Hilton statement yet but will let you know.

Good luck,

DD
Old Jun 20, 2000, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

I found great info on the Starwood card on the American Express website. But I still can not find the list of airlines.

Thanks! Peter
Old Jun 20, 2000, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Honors credit card:

$20K=40K points=3,500 miles (4K for AA)

The list of airlines is pretty good.

But, this is even worse than Marriott!! Starwood is looking like the way to go, except maybe for Diners Club Club Rewards.

PS: I know Starwood has a cap around $60K (Not sure about the exact figure). Is this lifted for Preferred Gold/Platinum members, like it often is with airline cards?

Thanks! Peter!
Old Jun 20, 2000, 9:24 pm

I have the Delta/AMEX gold card, no fee for the first year and they give a 10,000 mile bonus. This is my second time around. Its well worth it just for the bonus.

Jay
Old Jun 20, 2000, 10:22 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
to jay, what did u mean by the second time around? each year they gave u 10,000 bonus miles? i was told that u only get 10,000 miles once, when u join...

i thought only skymiles amex platinum card had that offer...
Old Jun 20, 2000, 11:16 pm

Originally posted by peter:
I found great info on the Starwood card on the American Express website. But I still can not find the list of airlines.

Thanks! Peter
Peter,
You will find the information at:
http://www.preferredguest.com/partners/810_airline.html

Andrew

------------------
Old Jun 21, 2000, 12:39 am
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
Diners is awesome. No B.S. and great customer service. Also: primary insurance coverage for automobile rentals, two statement periods to pay, international lounge access, end-of-year statement. $80 annual fee; 12,000 bonus miles if you use the card every month during your first year. Let an existing member "sponsor" you and your sponsor also receives a 3,000 mile bonus.
Old Jun 21, 2000, 6:14 am

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
At the Starwood web-site, you can find the list of airlines. There are 20 which convert 1:1, and another 6 that have a different ratio. All the major airlines are included. - but it is at the starwood web-site, not at american express. I think it is the BEST card since you get a 5000 bonus when transferring 20,000 miles and you can transfer between spouses at the same address. I think the web-site is www.preferredguest.com
The only trouble is that not everyone takes AMEX. I also have Diners Club - used mainly for car rentals, and AAdvantage (citibank)

------------------
DtG
Old Jun 21, 2000, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Another Diners fan here. To add to what EPS said, they usually run a promotion yearly that lets you put any number of Diners points into one of the airline programs at a rate of 2 miles per dollar spent. Last year, you could do it with DL and BA, and this year, they're offering BA again.

There are some downsides, though. The card is a good travel card (airlines, hotels) but otherwise is not widely accepted in the US (if that's where you're from). They charge $35 for an extra card. And the $85 annual fee is one of the highest.

I carry Diners, Starwood Amex, and Alaska Visa and use them in that order of preference.

(Needless to say, if you need a sponsor for your Diners app... )
Old Jun 21, 2000, 11:42 am

Hi belle3388,
The first time I had the card I cancelled after the free (no fee) year was up. I reapplied a few months later under the same offer and they gave me another 10,000 miles.

Jay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.