Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United 1K PlusPoints to upgrade LH (codeshare) flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2024, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

Hello!
Im planning to fly Athens - Houston on Sunday June 2.
The seat map on United website shows 20 biz class seats available on 2nd leg of this flight, from FRA - IAH. But I cant buy economy class on United and be waitlisted with PP for some reason.
So I thought I would buy it on Lufthansa website which does let me buy Econ class (or Prem Econ) and then submit the upgrade request form on United website and request upgrade to Polaris using 40 PP.

Does anyone have thoughts or advice to share with me on how likely the upgrade would clear on the FRA - IAH leg? I cant tell if there is upgrade availability?
I have called both airlines but neither of them can answer this question of course.
I asked the LH forum but they suggested I come here.
Thank you! 🙏 😀

Its this flight- LH 7601 operated by United Airlines
BOEING 777-200/300

full itinerary:

Athens - Houston

Departs on Sunday, 2 June 2024

Total duration: 18h 40m

Total duration: 18 hours and 40 minutes
3h 5m
07:05Athens
Athens International E. Venizelos (ATH)
09:10Frankfurt
Frankfurt International (FRA)
Terminal 1
Flight duration 3 hours and 5 minutes
LH 1285 operated by Lufthansa

AIRBUS A3211 stop in Frankfurt International
4h 45m
Duration 4 hours and 45 minutes10h 50m

13:55Frankfurt
Frankfurt International (FRA)
Terminal 1
17:45Houston
George Bush Intercont (IAH)
Terminal E
Flight duration 10 hours and 50 minutes
LH 7601 operated by United Airlines
BOEING 777-200/300
Old May 11, 2024, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lookinforinfo2024
Hello!
I’m planning to fly Athens - Houston on Sunday June 2.
The seat map on United website shows 20 biz class seats available on 2nd leg of this flight, from FRA - IAH. But I can’t buy economy class on United and be waitlisted with PP for some reason.
The book-and-waitlist function is irreparably broken. It should never be used. Just book the flight you want on United.com and apply the upgrade after it tickets.
uanj and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by jsloan; May 11, 2024 at 11:41 pm Reason: Wrong $5 irr- word
Old May 11, 2024, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Master thread--> How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Old May 11, 2024, 11:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Lookinforinfo2024
Hello!
I’m planning to fly Athens - Houston on Sunday June 2.
The seat map on United website shows 20 biz class seats available on 2nd leg of this flight, from FRA - IAH. But I can’t buy economy class on United and be waitlisted with PP for some reason. ...
I don't see a problem purchasing economy on the UA website but there is a problem purchasing PremPlus/PremEcon on the FRA-IAH UA flight.

this is a long existing issue on booking UA PremEcon when the connecting LH flight (ATH-FRA) does not have PremEcon,
Booking as Multi-city can commonly address (for this trip as an OW it prices as $2,280)
Why PremPlus not available on certain flights with non-PremEcon partner connection?

Also agree avoid the advance search feature for upgrading a flight is worthless plus the finding a random upgradable flight at booking is an unicorn. Just book you desired flight and apply the waitlisting after booking.

You will not like the LH chance and flight credit policies booking on the LH site.

So I thought I would buy it on Lufthansa website which does let me buy Econ class (or Prem Econ) and then submit the upgrade request form on United website and request upgrade to Polaris using 40 PP.

Does anyone have thoughts or advice to share with me on how likely the upgrade would clear on the FRA - IAH leg? I can’t tell if there is upgrade availability?
Upgrades of the UA47 FRA-IAH operates the same regardless if book as a native UA or LH codeshare.

The Expert Mode inventory is J9 C5 D3 and the rest of business / upgrades are 0 and PremPlus is 02.

With 3 weeks to go, the chance for an 1K on an O fare are poor and in regular economy zero.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The LH 7601 FRA-IAH is a UA operated flight
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 12, 2024 at 12:11 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 12, 2024, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Doesnt the LH flight have to be ticketed by UA to apply the PPs?
Old May 12, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Doesnt the LH flight have to be ticketed by UA to apply the PPs?
Believe the OP is querying about a LH codeshare of an UA FRA-IAH.

As fare as applying PlusPoints to a UA operated flight it can be ticketed and/or marketed by any carrier
As far as applying PlusPoints to a LH operated flight, it can be ticketed by any carrier but must be a native LH flight number.
SPN Lifer and Tommys888 like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 12:56 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Just to flag that OP posted the same Q in LH forum. So, perhaps worth merging: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36227042-post2515.html
Old May 12, 2024, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I read original post as OP wanting to buy ticket from LH, not UA. But you answered my question if such a non-UA ticket (ticket bought from LH for a UA flight) can have PPs applied.
Old May 12, 2024, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by olm022
Just to flag that OP posted the same Q in LH forum. So, perhaps worth merging: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36227042-post2515.html
and, as the OP mentioned, was told
Originally Posted by olm022
LH7601 is operated by UA, so it's better to ask about the availability in UA forum. Via Miles and More there is no availability on 02 June. There is availability on 04 June (via LHR with UA) or on 29 May with LH nonstop to IAH.
It is up to the LH mods to move

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old May 12, 2024, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

You can buy a flight on LH and then use this form on United to request an upgrade using your PP:
http://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mile...-copa-upgrades dot html

Thank you everyone! Today I was able to purchase this flight on United in Econ. (For some reason it wouldn't let me purchase multi-city trip of ATH - FRA in Econ and then FRA - IAH in Prem Econ.) So I bought an economy flight Y fare the entire way and applied 40 PP to be waitlisted for Polaris. Probably won't work, but we'll see... There are 20 open Biz Class seats on the seat map. But if it doesn't work, oh well. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 12, 2024 at 3:43 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old May 12, 2024, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You can buy a flight on LH and then use this form on United to request an upgrade using your PP:
http://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mile...-copa-upgrades dot html

Thank you everyone! Today I was able to purchase this flight on United in Econ. (For some reason it wouldn't let me purchase multi-city trip of ATH - FRA in Econ and then FRA - IAH in Prem Econ.) So I bought an economy flight Y fare the entire way and applied 40 PP to be waitlisted for Polaris. Probably won't work, but we'll see... There are 20 open Biz Class seats on the seat map. But if it doesn't work, oh well. Thanks everyone!
if you want to upgrade a UA flight on an LH ticket you would not use this form. The form is to upgrade LH-operated flights. For LH-coded UA-operated flights you would use the same procedure you'd use on your UA-coded flight from your reservation on united.com
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Oh thank you for that clarification- I hadnt realized that about the form!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.