Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Consistency in Bonvoy status-based lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB

Due to unexpected business travel and a personal trip earlier in the year, I'm just three nights away from achieving Platinum level status. Fortunately, I have two business trips scheduled for September and October, which will provide the necessary nights to reach Platinum status.

I've reviewed the literature regarding the benefits of Platinum level, and noted that access to the hotel lounge is included if one exists on the property. However, I'm curious about the consistency of this benefit. Do Platinum level holders typically encounter any issues with accessing the lounge? I'm particularly interested in this as I have a trip planned to Tokyo next summer. Given my intention to book at the most economical rate possible, access to the lounge would greatly enhance my stay.

Thanks for any insight.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
IF it has a lounge, AND it is open when I am there, I have NEVER not had access as a platinum or titanium.
SPN Lifer, bosman, IggySD and 5 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AntimonyER
IF it has a lounge, AND it is open when I am there, I have NEVER not had access as a platinum or titanium.
Did you have to ask/remind them at check in or were they proactive in advising you that you had access?

Thanks.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
If there is one thing that Marriott is good at, it is always providing lounge access at the appropriate properties to Plat+. I've never had an issue with it. The most I've ever had to do is to ask how to get to it and the hours.
SPN Lifer, dcmike, IggySD and 8 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:39 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
Did you have to ask/remind them at check in or were they proactive in advising you that you had access?

Thanks.
It can't hurt to ask "does my room key give me access to the lounge?" just as a reminder
SPN Lifer and AJNEDC like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
As a Plat or higher, if the property has a lounge, you have access. The only place elites dont have access is Ritz Carlton.

They occasionally forgot to program the room keys. We had to return to FD when that happened. FD always apologized and reprogrammed the keys.
SPN Lifer, yscleo, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:49 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
As a Plat or higher, if the property has a lounge, you have access. The only place elites dont have access is Ritz Carlton.
There are limited exceptions to this rule. At the St. Pancras Renaissance, only Titaniums and Ambassadors get lounge (Chambers Club) access. Platinums will be offered breakfast elsewhere, plus a bar snack (I think).
EuropeanPete and TGLoyalty like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 1:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I've reviewed the literature regarding the benefits of Platinum level, and noted that access to the hotel lounge is included if one exists on the property.
It's more complicated than that.

There are more than 30 brands in the Marriott Bonvoy program. Nine of them provide lounge access to Platinum Elite and above.

At five brands (non-resort properties only) -- JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels -- guaranteed lounge access is how the breakfast benefit if provided. If there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, the elite member can pick breakfast in the restaurant or 750 points daily.

At one brand -- Courtyard (only outside the United States and Canada, and only if there's a lounge) -- guaranteed lounge access provides a breakfast benefit (at a brand where that's a rarity).

At three brands (resorts included) -- Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin -- guaranteed lounge access means access to the lounge if there is one and it's open, but there's no alternative otherwise. Breakfast in the restaurant is a Platinum welcome gift choice, not a function of guaranteed lounge access.

The front desk agent at participating properties will normally mention the lounge and its hours at check-in, but sometimes it's necessary to ask.

For all the details, exclusions, limitations, etc., go to Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions and search for GUARANTEED LOUNGE ACCESS
Old May 2, 2024, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
If there is one thing that Marriott is good at, it is always providing lounge access at the appropriate properties to Plat+. I've never had an issue with it. The most I've ever had to do is to ask how to get to it and the hours.
Great. Thanks. Platinum here I come...
Old May 2, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
I'm particularly interested in this as I have a trip planned to Tokyo next summer. Given my intention to book at the most economical rate possible, access to the lounge would greatly enhance my stay.
Be extremely careful, especially in Tokyo. Lounge access is guaranteed only in certain brands, and while this might be extended in some properties elsewhere, some Tokyo properties who have a lounge (Luxury Collection or Autograph Collection) will not grant you access unless you book a room that gives you access.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
It's more complicated than that.

There are more than 30 brands in the Marriott Bonvoy program. Nine of them provide lounge access to Platinum Elite and above.

At five brands (non-resort properties only) -- JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels -- guaranteed lounge access is how the breakfast benefit if provided. If there's no lounge or the lounge is closed, the elite member can pick breakfast in the restaurant or 750 points daily.

At one brand -- Courtyard (only outside the United States and Canada, and only if there's a lounge) -- guaranteed lounge access provides a breakfast benefit (at a brand where that's a rarity).

At three brands (resorts included) -- Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin -- guaranteed lounge access means access to the lounge if there is one and it's open, but there's no alternative otherwise. Breakfast in the restaurant is a Platinum welcome gift choice, not a function of guaranteed lounge access.

The front desk agent at participating properties will normally mention the lounge and its hours at check-in, but sometimes it's necessary to ask.

For all the details, exclusions, limitations, etc., go to Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions and search for GUARANTEED LOUNGE ACCESS
Thank you for this. So I just read that lounge access is not offered by:

The Ritz-Carlton
St. Regis
EDITION
The Luxury Collection
W Hotels

Son of a gun.... . Well that sorta sucks... I mean what's left? Coz I stayed at the Sheraton in Basel in December and the "Lounge" left much to be desired.
And here I was planning to stay at the Ritz in Tokyo... Well I obviously have to rethink plans...
Old May 2, 2024, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olivedel
Be extremely careful, especially in Tokyo. Lounge access is guaranteed only in certain brands, and while this might be extended in some properties elsewhere, some Tokyo properties who have a lounge (Luxury Collection or Autograph Collection) will not grant you access unless you book a room that gives you access.
Yes I just read that. Which is a disappointment. The Prince Gallery and the Ritz are therefore out. The Westin, Sheraton and JW Marriott look like crap, from the looks of things, I may have to do with my hotel stays what I do with airlines... Pay for the service I desire and to hell with loyalty programs.
Old May 2, 2024, 4:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The LC in Tokyo used to give lounge access but not anymore. It used to be my favorite hotel to stay at in Tokyo but Marriott got rid of club access for most LCs (though the ones in BKK still offer). Marriott destroyed lc for me which was my favorite brand actually. RCs never get.

Now i go to PH Tokyo.

But generally Marriott is excellent about giving cl access when it's due. No worries there. Cls can save a lot of money
Old May 2, 2024, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Haven’t been denied access to a lounge when entitled, but at least one property (Sheraton Grand Salzburg) has a lower quality lounge for Plats.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Haven’t been denied access to a lounge when entitled, but at least one property (Sheraton Grand Salzburg) has a lower quality lounge for Plats.
Sheraton TST in Hong Kong too, unless you book the room in the Tower building.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.