Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick to East London during train strike

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Gatwick to East London during train strike

Since the UK is the world leader in train strikes, I’m surprised I can’t find an existing topic on this

currently in Europe returning on BA to Gatwick on the evening of 7 May, a day I now discover to be yet another train strike

So my question is do BA provide any flexibility to change flights or airports (fly to Heathrow instead since TfL aren’t striking). guessing not since I’m on the basic economy ticket a public transport strike is not their responsibility, but I have heard some airlines have exceptions to policy for external evened like the “flat tire rule” in the US

Or is there a bus I can get into London from Gatwick?

Or any recommended Gatwick airport hotel if I get stranded there?

thanks all
Old May 1, 2024, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Sounds like there will be a limited Gatwick-Victoria service on that day .. but not much else

https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/tr...ustrial-action

There are National Express coaches to Victoria Station from Gatwick too , but they're not that frequent or fast .. the residual train service probably a better option

I don't think BA will give you any flexibility here beyond whatever there is ( or isn't ) in your ticket
SxMan likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:34 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
When I flew into Gatwick recently during a train strike there was actually trains into London just not many so first port of call is to check what trains if any are running and what time they run until.

As for hotels the Premier Inn attached to the North terminal is often the cheapest of the "on airport" hotels options and plenty good enough for a nights sleep and a bite to eat. The Hilton and Sofitel are great options if you have points to burn.

I hope it all goes well.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA won't be offering flexibility onbookings.

There will be train services from Gatwick to London on the day, just not as many as there are usually:

https://www.gatwickexpress.com/trave...ustrial-action

The National Journey Planner (which feeds into the various ticketing tools) has been updated with expected services. You can also take trains that do operate to make indirect journeys via unusual routes, but just be very careful your ticket is valid for whatever you are doing. But I would expect about 6 to 8 trains an hour that can get you to London directly or indirectly.

There are coach services between LGW, London and other places - you best reserve on those since strikes do tend to fill up service. There are about 4 coach companies involved.

There are many hotels attached to LGW or within walking distance of the terminal, about 6 I think. None of them fall into the category of "never stay here". There are about 20 hotels within 5 kilometres of the airport, all the main chain hotels are represented.
scottishpoet likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:36 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
My fear was they might end the limited Gatwick express service quite early in the evening – but at the moment, they have got them in the timetable until quite late. Fingers crossed

Last edited by SxMan; May 1, 2024 at 2:36 am Reason: Pic
Old May 1, 2024, 2:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
I think our neighbours about 20 miles south of Dover can still claim the gold medal on striking!

But yes, as said, your options for changing your flight will be limited. The shuttle between Gatwick and London is operating every half an hour and takes 30 mins to get to Victoria, so that should be your best option. You'd assume Southern will run their longest trains for that so there should be space for everyone. Otherwise the Hilton connected to LGW is about £160 for the night.
davidcamp6 and plunet like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:42 am
Original Poster

thank you all for the quick and helpful responses, my stress levels are coming down a bit seeing there are still some trains planned to run and it’s not a full strike!

can anyone see if they are stopping at east Croydon or Clapham junction for connection to the TfL overground service?

Last edited by Carlusa; May 1, 2024 at 2:50 am Reason: Ask about stops on the way to Victoria
Old May 1, 2024, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Carlusa
Since the UK is the world leader in train strikes, I’m surprised I can’t find an existing topic on this

currently in Europe returning on BA to Gatwick on the evening of 7 May, a day I now discover to be yet another train strike

So my question is do BA provide any flexibility to change flights or airports (fly to Heathrow instead since TfL aren’t striking). guessing not since I’m on the basic economy ticket a public transport strike is not their responsibility, but I have heard some airlines have exceptions to policy for external evened like the “flat tire rule” in the US
They will not provide fexibilty

Or is there a bus I can get into London from Gatwick?
there are buses to many destinations, including london

Typically different train companies strike on different dats. Not sure about may 7th but with the variety of servers to gatwick i expect some trains will run.

Or any recommended Gatwick airport hotel if I get stranded there?

thanks all
Taxis will run too, so i doubt you will be stranded. plenty of reasonable hotels in the area , at the airport and the local area . Possibly discussed in the uk destination forum
Old May 1, 2024, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
can anyone see if they are stopping at east Croydon or Clapham junction for connection to the TfL overground service?
Doesn’t look like it. Non-stop to Victoria.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:56 am

Programs: BA GGL
If all else fails and the Victoria services are too busy to board, you could consider the alternatives of taking a coach to Heathrow and then the train/Tube in from there, or taking the GWR North Downs service to Reading and then GWR/Elizabeth line from there to London. The latter would require separate tickets split at Reading, since this isn't a valid route on a Gatwick-London ticket (and it goes outside the contactless/Oyster PAYG area).
Old May 1, 2024, 2:56 am

Programs: IB+ Oro (OWS) / FB / SQ
thank you all for the quick and helpful responses, my stress levels are coming down a bit seeing there are still some trains planned to run and it’s not a full strike!

From Tuesday 7 until Friday 10 May (inclusive), we will not operate the usual non-stop Gatwick Express service between London Victoria, Gatwick Airport and Brighton. To help customers we have added extra stops at Clapham Junction and East Croydon, and as such these trains will be operating as Southern services. Gatwick Express tickets are valid on Southern and Thameslink at no additional cost. 
You should be fine.

Thankfully I'm flying out of LGW on Bank Holiday Monday so will miss the worst of the disruption.
Old May 1, 2024, 3:05 am

Programs: BA, VS
As others have said, during the evening there is a half hourly non-stop service planned to London Victoria, plus the usual hourly service to Reading. Trains to London leave at xx:15 and xx:45 past each hour.

flarmip likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 3:09 am

Programs: BA, VS
Originally Posted by chacor

You should be fine.

Thankfully I'm flying out of LGW on Bank Holiday Monday so will miss the worst of the disruption.
However, further down the same article...

Very limited shuttle services will be in operation on this day, as listed below. No other Southern, Gatwick Express, Thameslink or Great Northern services will be running.
  • Southern shuttle service calling at Gatwick Airport and London Victoria only (operating between approximately 05:00 and 23:00)
  • Thameslink shuttle service calling at St Pancras, Luton Airport Parkway and Luton only (operating between approximately 07:00 and 19:00)
  • Thameslink shuttle service calling at London Kings Cross and Cambridge only (operating between approximately 07:00 and 19:00)
So it's difficult to know for sure what is happening.
Old May 1, 2024, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Gatwick Express website says stopping at East Croydon and Clapham Junction in the first paragraph but then further down the same page it says it will be non-stop to Victoria only.

I really hope they make the extra stops for connecting to the overground at those stations. especially if not many other trains are running

Last edited by Carlusa; May 1, 2024 at 3:15 am
Old May 1, 2024, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold

Where are you trying to get to in London? It looks like all of the lines out of Gatwick are on strike that day and ok they may run a few services but it won't be pleasant. It might be easier to just get an uber/taxi to West Croydon and then take the Overground or the SL6 bus (early morning only)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.