Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Main flight system broken”???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:58 am
Original Poster

“Main flight system broken”???

Just sat aboard BA638 LHR-ATH, which pushed back and then returned to stand 10 mins later. The pilot announced a technical fault and the engineers were on board quickly - to pronounce that the”main flight system (of three) that tells us our speed, height etc is broken and can’t be reset….”

Never had a full computer-says-no situation before! This plane is a 4 year old A320 so is it more poor BA maintenance?

Anyway, they have blithely told us we now have to change aircraft. Call me an old BA cynic but I foresee a) sitting on here for 2 more hours before they tell us there is no spare plane or b) sitting on here for 3 hours, finally transferring to a new plane and being told when we reach altitude that there’s no catering because of the late change:

Bets anyone? :-)
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Your replacement aircraft is already allocated and on the ground at LHR.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You should find (based on similar experience on a Sofia flight) that catering is transferred. Depending on what is available you may find the delay isn't as long as you fear, but then again I'd likely be hoping it'll be 3 hours plus. Flight radar may already know what aircraft is assigned, in which case you can see what it's doing and have a guess at the outcome.

[EDIT] No need, since CIHY has given you chapter and verse.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Indeed it has Can I Help You! An Easter miracle three days early ;-)

How on earth was there a spare plane of exact same type just sitting at the B gates when BA is having to wetlease to fulfil its schedule?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:18 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by aristoph
Indeed it has Can I Help You! An Easter miracle three days early ;-)

How on earth was there a spare plane of exact same type just sitting at the B gates when BA is having to wetlease to fulfil its schedule?
The wet leases are more about crew vs. aircraft. S/H aircraft are not in the same squeeze vs BA’s longhaul fleet.

Pilot37
SxMan, jonr405 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
You seem a bit quick to refer to 'more poor maintenance'. Things can go wrong you know.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pilot37
The wet leases are more about crew vs. aircraft. S/H aircraft are not in the same squeeze vs BA’s longhaul fleet.

Pilot37
That is interesting but begs the question why they don’t just hire crew aggressively? There is a years long waiting list for new aircraft, but it seems crazy to wet lease Danish Air instead of poaching crew from other airlines.

Last edited by aristoph; Mar 28, 2024 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
You seem a bit quick to refer to 'more poor maintenance'. Things can go wrong you know.
I read the threads on here.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Just sat aboard BA638 LHR-ATH, which pushed back and then returned to stand 10 mins later. The pilot announced a technical fault and the engineers were on board quickly - to pronounce that the”main flight system (of three) that tells us our speed, height etc is broken and can’t be reset….”

Never had a full computer-says-no situation before! This plane is a 4 year old A320 so is it more poor BA maintenance?

Anyway, they have blithely told us we now have to change aircraft. Call me an old BA cynic but I foresee a) sitting on here for 2 more hours before they tell us there is no spare plane or b) sitting on here for 3 hours, finally transferring to a new plane and being told when we reach altitude that there’s no catering because of the late change:

Bets anyone? :-)
what utter guff.
You could have a 1 week old aircraft and it has a tech issue. It’s no indication of maintenance standards.

to your b) once you get on the new aircraft - why don’t you ask the crew if the catering has been moved?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:55 am

I read the threads on here.
If you feel, from your experience of reading anecdotal evidence on a bulletin board, that BAs maintenance is poor, then feel free to fly with another carrier. As I pilot who has flown for many years, I have no qualms at all about flying on BA aircraft as a passenger or as crew. I would happily let my family and friends fly with BA. Other opinions are available, but if in any doubt please go elsewhere - after all you only have one life to play with. While you are at it, please confirm the maintenance of all cabs, buses, trains, ships, etc you choose to use. But please do go elsewhere if you have concerns
Bluekjp, ExpatExp, mco66 and 22 others like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
That is interesting but begs the question why they don’t just hire crew aggressively? There is a years long waiting list for new aircraft, but it seems crazy to wet lease Danish Air instead of poaching crew from other airlines.
It really isn't that simple as 'aggressively recruiting or poaching' as you put it. Applicants have to be of the required standard, trained and integrated into the airline. Most airlines are having recruitment issues at the moment.
Your reaction and angst about this technical delay makes one wonder how you cope with more serious things that can go wrong in everyday life.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vectismanpaul
It really isn't that simple as 'aggressively recruiting or poaching' as you put it. Applicants have to be of the required standard, trained and integrated into the airline. Most airlines are having recruitment issues at the moment.
Your reaction and angst about this technical delay makes one wonder how you cope with more serious things that can go wrong in everyday life.
But Ryanair hired or trained 900 pilots last year, and added 2,000 cabin crew. It is certainly possible to grow staff if you are competitive; what you can’t do is buy aircraft without multi year delay.

I assure you I am perfectly calm and relaxed, just wasting time on FT while we sit here for 3 hours on the ground and amused as ever by the swiftness to pounce of the go-away BA brigade. The guy in 1D on the other hand was having a go at the CCM and the pilot earlier, complaining about how often he has had technical issues on BA. Luckily (for him) he’s calmed down now :-)
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:26 pm

But Ryanair hired or trained 900 pilots last year, and added 2,000 cabin crew. It is certainly possible to grow staff if you are competitive; what you can’t do is buy aircraft without multi year delay.

I assure you I am perfectly calm and relaxed, just wasting time on FT while we sit here for 3 hours on the ground and amused as ever by the swiftness to pounce of the go-away BA brigade. The guy in 1D on the other hand was having a go at the CCM and the pilot earlier, complaining about how often he has had technical issues on BA. Luckily (for him) he’s calmed down now :-)
Go away BA brigade? - sorry I don’t realise you were just being a troll and wanting a reaction - well you got one, go you! Stand by, the troll won’t be able to not answer that😂😂
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Go away BA brigade? - sorry I don’t realise you were just being a troll and wanting a reaction - well you got one, go you! Stand by, the troll won’t be able to not answer that😂😂
20 years of trolling FT :-)
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
By the way CIHY, the crew - which seems to be a nice mix of more experienced and younger - have been brilliant, so cheery and friendly. I see this plane stays in ATH overnight so I hope they get some time there and don’t just come back tomorrow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.