Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SH seat selection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:49 am
Original Poster

SH seat selection

I don't remember ever reading about this issue and can't find anything while searching so I need to ask a question.

I have just booked a family trip to go to a 6 Nations rugby match in Rome next year in ET. None of the rest of my family are even in BAEC but I am a GCH and that allows me seat selection for my entire party even emergency exits.

At the minute the emergency exits are rows 11 and 12 on all flights but I can see historically that all the sectors change through some or all the variations of 319, 320 and 321 meaning thyat the emergency exit rows change too. I'm guessing that my best strategy is to select rows 11 or 12 and just hope for the best?

There is another fly in the ointment which I'm guessing is to do with moving curtains, on the flight from FCO to LHR on 17th March rows 10,11 and 12 are blocked, is that going to be to allow for CE to extend to 12 rows, will they ever open up for selection?
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by SandLake
I don't remember ever reading about this issue and can't find anything while searching so I need to ask a question.

I have just booked a family trip to go to a 6 Nations rugby match in Rome next year in ET. None of the rest of my family are even in BAEC but I am a GCH and that allows me seat selection for my entire party even emergency exits.

At the minute the emergency exits are rows 11 and 12 on all flights but I can see historically that all the sectors change through some or all the variations of 319, 320 and 321 meaning thyat the emergency exit rows change too. I'm guessing that my best strategy is to select rows 11 or 12 and just hope for the best?

There is another fly in the ointment which I'm guessing is to do with moving curtains, on the flight from FCO to LHR on 17th March rows 10,11 and 12 are blocked, is that going to be to allow for CE to extend to 12 rows, will they ever open up for selection?
there is no way to predict if there will be an aircraft swap or not. Pick what worls based on what is currently assigned and available.

Yes rows are blocked in case the curtain moves back. If the curtain moves forward then the seats will open up for selection. Other than that they will not be available until potentially a day or two before check in opens.
SandLake likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’m sure you can survive a couple of hours in a non exit row to FCO next year. I’d pick the flight timings that work best at this point
stifle and DXB2745 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:17 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I’m sure you can survive a couple of hours in a non exit row to FCO next year. I’d pick the flight timings that work best at this point
I always book the exit rows and just keep an eye on them in case of any changes - there very rarely are any on the many different routes we've flown.

Meantime, my family all whine about me doing so, because they are smaller than me, and also female, and want their bags in hand all the time.

Luckily I control the PNR in this house...
PLeblond likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I go to Rome whenever there is a 6 Nations vs England in Italy. Almost without exception the day before the match, CE goes back as far as it can in the cabin, usually to Row 12 on a A320.

I’d book Row 12 for the moment and then set up an Expertflyer alert for seat changes. I’d assume you’ll be behind the exit row as a going-in assumption.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:39 am

Programs: BA GGL
This far out your likelihood of an equipment change is much increased. I’d suggest setting an alert for such change and then amend as necessary. However don’t be surprised if you don’t end up in the exit row.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Since England are at Twickenham against Italy next year, I'm guessing this is Italy v Ireland. In which case it's not going to be so congested. But still, it's just so far off, your choice is to micromanage and potential fail, or select somewhere further back and not have the trouble. But otherwise, there are too many variations to know anything sensible at this point.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ratechaser

Meantime, my family all whine about me doing so, because they are smaller than me, and also female, and want their bags in hand all the time.
+1
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:18 am
Original Poster

It is indeed Italy v Ireland = on St Patricks Day weekend!!

I have 5 seats in the exit rows - with me being the one with the theoretically empty seat beside me - on all legs except the FCO-LHR leg where we are in row 15 - and that is just fine.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:12 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Ireland in Rome on St-Patty's... ouff.

Reminds me of a trip we took to see Canada play in their first ever Rugby World Cup. They played Ireland in Cardiff. We took the train back to London after the match. Forget tickets or train reservations they hearded us into any available car en masse.

99% per Ireland fans. A most memorable train trip to say the least. I have a great video of the singing in the 'Quiet Car'... Epic.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:16 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SandLake
It is indeed Italy v Ireland = on St Patricks Day weekend!!

I have 5 seats in the exit rows - with me being the one with the theoretically empty seat beside me - on all legs except the FCO-LHR leg where we are in row 15 - and that is just fine.
I would say relying on TS here is beyond dangerous: the chances of a busy flight are high, and if a rugby heffalump protests that their Basic fare has given then 22E then you can guess what the check-in agent will do. TS is all very well and good, but if it's busy it can have totally the reverse effect.
DXB2745 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.