Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA - worst business class between Europe and US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Recently few LCA-LHR-SEA in J and the experience was so underwhelming, I do not even know where to start.
  • Rubbish food on both flights, LCA-LHR breakfast was simply a joke, less food and worse quality than Y breakfasts I had recently on other airlines.
  • 787 layout with backward seats is terrible, narrow, dirty old seats that were falling apart, had to ask FA to open my tray table, which took good 10 minutes and a screwdriver because it was stuck, dirt and scratches everywhere, ancient entertainment system. And 787 was relatively new like 7 year old!
  • No storage, tiny serving trays that do not fit extra glasses and dry pieces of pork for lunch with some misery sauce and lots of potatoes.
  • Flight was delayed without proper updates in the app / monitors, so I asked lounge staff if they would announce boarding, the answer was “maybe if they notify us from the gate” just wow!

I tried to upgrade to F and was quoted 550£ for last available seat, but after talking to ops they decided they could not upgrade me for some reason, this was 2 hours before departure and the seat went empty.

In the last few years I flew DL, KL, AF and LX on transatlantic routes in J and all of them had so much better experience in all areas from food to seats cleanliness, lounges, etc.

I will be A350 in a few days coming back so having my fingers crossed for at least better hard product.

Last edited by AntonS; Mar 26, 2024 at 11:33 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Why did you choose BA?
BearX220, roberto99, izzik and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by AntonS
LCA-LHR breakfast was simply a joke, less food and worse quality than Y breakfasts I had recently on other airlines.

I tried to upgrade to F and was quoted 550£ for last available seat, but after talking to ops they decided they could not upgrade me for some reason, this was 2 hours before departure and the seat went empty.

which of the major European airlines are serving you a complimentary breakfast in Y on their European Short haul flights???

It may have been too late to cater F, maybe the seat was broken and that is why it was left empty, no idea but a couple of reasons why this may have been the case
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It's all good - you tried it, you disliked it, next time you'll fly someone else.

Fear the worst though, because it's not nearly the worst business class in Europe, not even close, so if I were you, I'd stick to what you know and like rather than keep exploring others or you'll end up being for a few shocks when you try some competitors...
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:31 pm

Misery sauce is presumably French cuisine? It's an unfortunate by-product of existentialism.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
OP have you tried Lufthansa's intercontinental J service on their 747 400 where you play footsie with your neighbour??

Last edited by scottishpoet; Mar 28, 2024 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Some might say if you want the best Business Class between Europe and the USA you should BA First!
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
The food may have been dry to reflect our British humour. In the 8 sectors I have flown from LCA to LHR in the last 18mth , the veggie breakfast has always been great and those eating the regular one have always seemed happy. As the absence of comment, is evidence of no complaint, it seems the crew were good and even produced a sonic screwdriver on the LHR-USA sector
kimmy482 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
It's all good - you tried it, you disliked it, next time you'll fly someone else.

Fear the worst though, because it's not nearly the worst business class in Europe, not even close, so if I were you, I'd stick to what you know and like rather than keep exploring others or you'll end up being for a few shocks when you try some competitors...
the op knows this.

In the last couple of weeks alone ...

Dxb is a zoo and their ek flights circle for hours before landing

qr won't sell them an upgrade on one sector of the 2 sector booking

And now ba ..

Two of these relate to buying upgrades

They may find it easier toinitially pay for the cabin they want to fly in. That would at least reduce their paid upgrade frustrations
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Deconstructing it and trying to be fair and objective::

Rubbish food: generrally I find the breakfasts on BA quite decent, though I wish they would provide fresh bread and not just a croissant. Generally I find BA CE catering pretty good. I would say on a par with LH/OS and KL. There is probably better out there (TK?) but it's not bad.

CW layout: fair crticism- it's a slightly dated configuration and most transatlantic competitors (certainly major ones) offer a better hard product IMO.

No storage/ tiny storage: not sure what the OP means. I don't think BA trays are smaller than others? As for storage, I am not sure if the OP is referring to the SEA sector or the LCA- LHR flight, and whether they mean overhead or in the seat area- either way, I don't recall BA being worse or offering less than others, though I would be interested if the OP would elaborate.

Flight delay: yes it's annoying. It does happen to others as well, but maybe BA have had a worse record than others in recent years- I do think they are getting better on that front, based on my last few months' flying.

To answer the OP's question, no I don't think they are the worst business class operating between USA and Europe.
edgewood49, becks1 and TheJayHatch like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:53 pm

You will have the Club Suites product on the A350.

Choice is a wonderful thing, you've tried it, you didn't like it, you are free to choose another product.
edgewood49 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Why did you choose BA?
For the cocktails of course!
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:55 pm

Out of interest, what is the non-veggie breakfast on the LCA to LHR legs? Standard BA full English?

I would fight anyone who said that wasn't perfectly ok but I guess the expectation on a 4h+++ leg would be long haul business standard.

The 787 sounds like old style CW? I quite like it, but if you're not prepared for it it can be a bit of a shock compared to more modern products. Hopefully that will be resolved before too long when everything is refitted. A350 should be an improvement.

I'm not sure what alternatives there are from Larnaca, but if QR is available and within budget then it's likely to be better. I can't think of many others that aren't much of a muchness with BA. If it's any consolation I did LCA to LGW on U2 last week on a lateish flight, and it was quite an ordeal. I did London to LCA on BA in CE a few months ago and found it quite ok. The problem with LCA at the moment is also no lounge so that probably doesn't generate contentment either.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur

No storage/ tiny storage: not sure what the OP means. I don't think BA trays are smaller than others? As for storage, I am not sure if the OP is referring to the SEA sector or the LCA- LHR flight, and whether they mean overhead or in the seat area- either way, I don't recall BA being worse or offering less than others, though I would be interested if the OP would elaborate.
Having not flown CW for a while until quite recently I can see the OP’s point here. Other than the small drawer there isn’t anywhere to store / place things. CS is much better, in this regard at least.
Crampedin13A, johnaalex and T8191 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:10 pm

Rofl, from january 6th 2024

Originally Posted by AntonS
For me AF>DL>KL
KL is a low cost sibling of AF. Unacceptable seating on half of the fleet, is 777 (but 787 Ok) and substandard food. KL crews are nice, but it doesn’t make up for shortcomings.
KL... unacceptable seating on half the fleet and substandard food, seems spookily similar to their view of ba
AlanA, edgewood49, becks1 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.