Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Carmel Valley Ranch - Carmel-by-the-sea, California

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Online activity schedule:
https://www.carmelvalleyranch.com/play-for-all-ages/activity-calendar
Print Wikipost

Carmel Valley Ranch - Carmel-by-the-sea, California

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; Aeroplan 35k; Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by boolean64
TL;DR... Bernardus way better without kids. CVR better with kids (assuming kids activities are running)...assuming you are OK with paying for breakfast at Bernardus and foregoing potential upgrade. And of course assuming you were paying cash at both anyway. I am a globalist with no shortage of points and have chosen to pay for bernardus three times. Have only done CVR once.

CVR and Bernardus are, IMHO very different properties. I think the hard product at Bernardus is much much better than CVR in terms of both style and quality. Restaurant and bar also next level. I'd go to the Bernardus restaurant even if i wasn't staying there...wouldn't say the same thing about the restaurant at CVR. With kids though, might be a bit harder in terms of food and smaller property so need to take them elsewhere to keep them occupied. Adult only hot tub at bernardus is very nice. Service comes across as much higher given the more intimate nature of the property. Bernardus also much closer to town.

CVR is more of a sprawling property with activities, and pre-pandemic at least, specifically kids activities. We will definitely want to go back when our kids are old enough to take advantage of things like kids movie night. CVR restaurant good but i thought a bit more crowd pleasers, which again is handy with kids. The one adult think i liked better at CVR was the spa facility and services.

Ventana is completely different experience. Won't even try to compare. Stunning location. Meals included. Better pool. I do think the rooms themselves are better at bernardus as is the food. But still not comparable experience.
+1 across the board for this comparison. I'd say all of the same things about the two. CVR is absolutely no slouch, but Bernardus is one of the few places I pay money for outside of the Hyatt portfolio and never regret it. And while it's pricey AF, I historically book it through FHR so at least that takes some of the sting away with breakfast, food and beverage credit, and often an upgrade.

That said, I just looked up prices for the fall months and I see many dates where Bernardus is 2x what I paid for it pre pandemic, so definitely not sure I'd do that.

If Bernardus were $1600/nt and CVR was $900/nt, I'd for sure choose CVR despite my love of Bernardus. But if that were the case I just wouldn't go at all because we don't have kids and that's one of the major drawbacks for us with CVR.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:33 pm

Great grounds, neat activities, service and rooms unpolished and unimpressive

Carmel Valley Ranch

1 Review | 0% Recommended

Carmel Valley Ranch

One Old Ranch Road Carmel, CA US 93923

Great grounds, neat activities, service and rooms unpolished and unimpressive (0 Photo)

Carmel Valley Ranch

I wrote this review and posted it on Tripadvisor after my experience.  Funny thing is, that I gave it 3 stars and wish I could lower it to 2.  Honestly, the service here is not good and my post stay experience only reinforced it.  I got an email from the GM asking me to complete a survey IF I got one post stay so that they could always improve service, etc.  This was a form email and was not in response to any complaints or anything.  I actually responded to the email and linked my TA review and said, well I already did a review and if you want my thoughts, here they are.  Ironically, I never got a response, never got a post stay survey (which I find odd) and the hotel replied to almost all reviews before and AFTER mind on TA but ignored mine.  No response, no comment, no apology, no email to discuss, nothing.  All that just seriously reinforced what I focused on in the original review, which is that service and training and customer commitment at this place are atrocious.

Check In

The main lodge area where you check in is a nice building and has a very nice spa and pool area outside. Upon our arrival though, we stood in the lodge lobby with suitcases for 2 minutes and no one came to help, asked us if we were there to check in, etc. The lobby was empty in fact. Eventually, one person came and sat at a desk and ignored us, and then later a second person came in and finally checked us in. No room upgrade given as Globalist and a review of the available rooms indicated that what appears to be the standard upgrade was available and no mention was even made. I said nothing because I did not really care but I dislike when properties cannot follow the terms properly of the program and I don't like asking for stuff like an upgrade, even when I am supposed to receive it automatically. To the staff member's credit, he did a very thorough job of explaining everything else about my booking, benefits, and the property itself on the map.

Room

When we got our room key later, since it was not ready yet at 1pm, the room itself was fine. It was in a hallway that frankly smelled of chlorine and seemed like a Motel 6 hallway...drab, long with room doors on one side, closed in.  There were about 8 empty wine glasses stacked in the hall next to a supply closet and they remained there from the moment we checked in until we left over 2 days later, despite actually watching several housekeepers pass by them.

The room itself was nice enough and had an outdoor tub on the balcony. The shower in the room was sad and weak, with a narrow stream, which is one of my pet peeves. Housekeeping came by and knocked on my door at 0900 hours and then when they asked what time I wanted housekeeping, I told them and they agreed and then they failed to come at that time, instead they came 40 minutes later, by which time I had already returned from breakfast, so I had to send them away again. The housekeeper came holding a small bag of cleaning supplies only, which did not surprise me, given that the top of the fireplace area on the balcony was covered in a layer of filth so thick it was clear it had not been cleaned in ages. I got the impression the cleaning service was akin to the hotels where the housekeeper runs in, touches up the critical areas and restocks some items and runs out. Ironically, to make a comparison to Ventana Big Sur up the road, I walked in on the housekeeper there while she was cleaning and I saw her spraying and washing the shower door, which I found surprisingly thorough. Can't say I expect I would have seen that here.

Service

Service in the restaurant is pretty unpolished as well, as delays are long and common (read the flyertalk discussion thread for this hotel and you see SEVERAL mentions of that issue, so it is clearly common). Service was friendly and the food in the restaurant was very good, but it was slow and haphazard. While I was having breakfast one morning, an employee begins mopping the floor about 5 feet from me with a very strong lemon smelling chemical, which ended my ability to enjoy breakfast. The server was mortified to her credit when I mentioned it and she had clearly noticed the incident as well, but the damage was done. Just basic training issues that seemed to crop up here constantly at check in, at the restaurant, at housekeeping, etc.

Also, they text you and tell you to let them know if you need anything, and I asked for either milk or real cream for the coffee machine in the room instead of the non dairy non refrigerated creamer in the room, and was told I could get a take away order from the restaurant if I wanted milk or cream. Now, this is where properties like Ventana Big Sur or other actual high end properties distinguish themselves...at true 5 star properties, I would never expect that kind of answer to a guest request that is so easily fixed and frankly I do not think is even a little unreasonable. I expect that kind of response in some places but the thing is, when you are charging midweek rates of 500-1500, like you are at this property, I don't expect that kind of response.

Dining

The food itself in the restaurant was good for dinner and breakfast, and unexpectedly the portions were a good size.  It is not cheap but they give you quite a bit of food for the servings, and we could not even finish what we ordered for dinner one night (the roasted garlic appetizer was like 5 entire heads of garlic for example). 

This place is definitely a neat destination, with its farm animals and flower fields and vineyards, all of which make for great exploring on property. We hiked up and saw the horses and goats, enjoyed the views, saw the sheep and vineyard and flower fields. The property has a slate of interesting activities on offer every day as well, from honey tasting to cheese-making which is really cool.

Overall

Bottom line, room was good although shower was seriously subpar. Grounds are awesome and lovely and worth exploring...goats are adorable, horses are great, sheep, chickens etc. All fantastic. Views on the grounds are super lovely and the property is just beautiful. The activities add interesting things to see and do, but service, training and polish are sorely lacking for the price point. Frankly, service was more in line with what I would expect at a property like the Hyatt Regency in Monterey, which can be had for <$200 a night at times. Not a bad place overall, and I would maybe consider staying again, but based on my experience, it would have to be at the VERY lower end of the rate range to feel justified.  Probably not though, especially given the post stay proof that they just don't care.

Great grounds, neat activities, service and rooms unpolished and unimpressive

Would you like to write a review on the Carmel Valley Ranch?

No, thank you.
Yes
59Impala likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:52 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Wow great detailed review
You killed it for me I’d go back to the Highlands Inn in a heartbeat after reading this and never look back
provided food and beverage remain with the quality standards of their past
As soon as I heard poor housekeeping ,bad water pressure and chemical odors I was totally put off
Even an upgrade couldn’t have recovered from it as some 100 dollar a night hotels offer all those basic expectations brilliantly

The rest is just sad.I have always been concerned about Hyatt taking on these new brands as an erosion of Hyatt business culture
As it is many Hyatt Places and Hyatt Houses are in terrible Radisson and Best Western condition or below
I see big problems long term as they allow owners to sell flop house ghetto condition accommodations
Would never return based on your experience and I would have likely checked out in your shoes

You may wish to call Hyatt Consumer Affairs as it least the hotel will have it on their record
Hyatt like other hotel companies have given great wiggle room during the pandemic to relax standards
It seems obvious to me they clearly dropped the ball for you as a guest and those like me who have no plans as I did before to give them a chance now or in the future.Better stays ahead! Thanks for sharing

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 4, 2022 at 12:12 pm
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I respect Hyatts that take constructive criticism and respond to it. I dont respect hotels like this one that overlook bad reviews and pretend they dont exist.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by antonius66
Introduction I wrote this review and posted it on Tripadvisor after my experience. Funny thing is, that I gave it 3 stars and wish I could lower it to 2. Honestly, the service here is not good and my post stay experience only reinforced it. I got an email from the GM asking me to complete a survey IF I got one post stay so that they could always improve service, etc. This was a form email and was not in response to any complaints or anything. I actually responded to the email and linked my TA review and said, well I already did a review and if you want my thoughts, here they are. Ironically, I never got a response, never got a post stay survey (which I find odd) and the hotel replied to almost all reviews before and AFTER mind on TA but ignored mine. No response, no comment, no apology, no email to discuss, nothing. All that just seriously reinforced what I focused on in the original review, which is that service and training and customer commitment at this place are atrocious. Check In The room itself though, is not as impressive nor was the service. The main lodge area where you check in is a nice building and has a very nice spa and pool area outside. Upon our arrival though, we stood in the lodge lobby with suitcases for 2 minutes and no one came to help, asked us if we were there to check in, etc. The lobby was empty in fact. Eventually, one person came and sat at a desk and ignored us, and then later a second person came in and finally checked us in. No room upgrade given as Globalist and a review of the available rooms indicated that what appears to be the standard upgrade was available and no mention was even made. I said nothing because I did not really care but I dislike when properties cannot follow the terms properly of the program and I don't like asking for stuff like an upgrade, even when I am supposed to receive it automatically. To the staff member's credit, he did a very thorough job of explaining everything else about my booking, benefits, and the property itself on the map. Room When we got our room key later, since it was not ready yet at 1pm, the room itself was fine. It was in a hallway that frankly smelled of chlorine and seemed like a Motel 6 hallway...drab, long with room doors on one side, closed in. There were about 8 empty wine glasses stacked in the hall next to a supply closet and they remained there from the moment we checked in until we left over 2 days later, despite actually watching several housekeepers pass by them.The room itself was nice enough and had an outdoor tub on the balcony. The shower in the room was sad and weak, with a narrow stream, which is one of my pet peeves. Housekeeping came by and knocked on my door at 0900 hours and then when they asked what time I wanted housekeeping, I told them and they agreed and then they failed to come at that time, instead they came 40 minutes later, by which time I had already returned from breakfast, so I had to send them away again. The housekeeper came holding a small bag of cleaning supplies only, which did not surprise me, given that the top of the fireplace area on the balcony was covered in a layer of filth so thick it was clear it had not been cleaned in ages. I got the impression the cleaning service was akin to the hotels where the housekeeper runs in, touches up the critical areas and restocks some items and runs out. Ironically, to make a comparison to Ventana Big Sur up the road, I walked in on the housekeeper there while she was cleaning and I saw her spraying and washing the shower door, which I found surprisingly thorough. Can't say I expect I would have seen that here. Service Service in the restaurant is pretty unpolished as well, as delays are long and common (read the flyertalk discussion thread for this hotel and you see SEVERAL mentions of that issue, so it is clearly common). Service was friendly and the food in the restaurant was very good, but it was slow and haphazard. While I was having breakfast one morning, an employee begins mopping the floor about 5 feet from me with a very strong lemon smelling chemical, which ended my ability to enjoy breakfast. The server was mortified to her credit when I mentioned it and she had clearly noticed the incident as well, but the damage was done. Just basic training issues that seemed to crop up here constantly at check in, at the restaurant, at housekeeping, etc.Also, they text you and tell you to let them know if you need anything, and I asked for either milk or real cream for the coffee machine in the room instead of the non dairy non refrigerated creamer in the room, and was told I could get a take away order from the restaurant if I wanted milk or cream. Now, this is where properties like Ventana Big Sur or other actual high end properties distinguish themselves...at true 5 star properties, I would never expect that kind of answer to a guest request that is so easily fixed and frankly I do not think is even a little unreasonable. I expect that kind of response in some places but the thing is, when you are charging midweek rates of 500-1500, like you are at this property, I don't expect that kind of response. Dining The food itself in the restaurant was good for dinner and breakfast, and unexpectedly the portions were a good size. It is not cheap but they give you quite a bit of food for the servings, and we could not even finish what we ordered for dinner one night (the roasted garlic appetizer was like 5 entire heads of garlic for example). Location This place is definitely a neat destination, with its farm animals and flower fields and vineyards, all of which make for great exploring on property. We hiked up and saw the horses and goats, enjoyed the views, saw the sheep and vineyard and flower fields. The property has a slate of interesting activities on offer every day as well, from honey tasting to cheese-making which is really cool. Overall Bottom line, room was good although shower was seriously subpar. Grounds are awesome and lovely and worth exploring...goats are adorable, horses are great, sheep, chickens etc. All fantastic. Views on the grounds are super lovely and the property is just beautiful. The activities add interesting things to see and do, but service, training and polish are sorely lacking for the price point. Frankly, service was more in line with what I would expect at a property like the Hyatt Regency in Monterey, which can be had for
I had a two-night stay 10 days ago, as well as a previous stay pre-pandemic. The only service deficiency for my stay was a number of uncleared tables at breakfast. Because this property is spread out, I assume most people leave their luggage in their cars when they check in, so it's up to you to approach one of the check-in desks where the agents are sitting. There are a lot of reasons to go into the lodge lobby other than checking in, so I don't see why it would be better to have them approach you.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
I had a two-night stay 10 days ago, as well as a previous stay pre-pandemic. The only service deficiency for my stay was a number of uncleared tables at breakfast. Because this property is spread out, I assume most people leave their luggage in their cars when they check in, so it's up to you to approach one of the check-in desks where the agents are sitting. There are a lot of reasons to go into the lodge lobby other than checking in, so I don't see why it would be better to have them approach you.
Well considering the two of us had luggage in our hands, I would say that's not accurate in my case.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Service standards are dropping all over the place due to omicron-caused staffing problems. IMO we need to cut hotels and restaurants a bit of slack for the next couple of weeks.
Originally Posted by antonius66
No room upgrade given as Globalist and a review of the available rooms indicated that what appears to be the standard upgrade was available and no mention was even made. I said nothing because I did not really care but I dislike when properties cannot follow the terms properly of the program and I don't like asking for stuff like an upgrade, even when I am supposed to receive it automatically.
If you care enough to complain afterwards, probably better to ask about an upgrade at check-in. Then if you're turned down, you'll have very good cause for the resulting resentment
kthpence likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:58 pm

By that logic, if every time I checked out, i didn't get 30 percent bonus points on the folio, I should have to complain if I really cared. I should have to fight to get breakfast removed from my bill if I really cared. So on and so on. I believe expecting hotels to honor the terms of the program without being requested and goaded is reasonable. Why do we act like suite upgrades are somehow different as a benefit compared to other benefits like breakfast, bonus points, etc. If certain other benefits were constantly and routinely ignored unless you pointed it out and demanded it, people would lose their minds. Regardless, I simply point it out as some people want those data points in reviews.
ZBigFam and AndyKehn like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:57 pm

My recent 3-night stay at CVR with young kids as a globalist (lite):

- Did not get an upgrade from a suite to a bigger suite (which I believe is only the 2 bedrooms running at 2.5k/night) as globalist, but I did get to pick the area I wanted my suite. I prefer the Treetop area since it's a quick walk to the Market and Valley Kitchen restaurant. Made it very convenient to bring food back to eat and grab a coffee, pastry whenever I wanted.
- Included breakfast is basically anything you want. The portions are big, so we ended up with leftovers for a quick snack or lunch. You can also add on Market purchases for beverage/food so this is probably the best option there is. I tried to not abuse it, but ordering 1 entree/person and 1 drink is still more than plenty to feed us. Quality wise, it's good food. Not the most exotic or gourmet but very good (and very Californian).
- Late checkout of 4pm was given on night before checkout. There wasn't as much activity there at the beginning of weeks, as I noticed the other suites in the area being more empty on the last night. Allowed us to get a hike in the last day, and lunch, and cleanse ourselves before the drive home.
- Kids activities are not back yet, so don't come here thinking you can drop them off for a few hours and have some adult time.

Overall, I would do this again next year if I was a Globalist. The prices are getting steeper though, points coming in at 48k and 53k next summer for suites.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by dsiderx2
My recent 3-night stay at CVR with young kids as a globalist (lite):

- Did not get an upgrade from a suite to a bigger suite (which I believe is only the 2 bedrooms running at 2.5k/night) as globalist, but I did get to pick the area I wanted my suite. I prefer the Treetop area since it's a quick walk to the Market and Valley Kitchen restaurant. Made it very convenient to bring food back to eat and grab a coffee, pastry whenever I wanted.
- Included breakfast is basically anything you want. The portions are big, so we ended up with leftovers for a quick snack or lunch. You can also add on Market purchases for beverage/food so this is probably the best option there is. I tried to not abuse it, but ordering 1 entree/person and 1 drink is still more than plenty to feed us. Quality wise, it's good food. Not the most exotic or gourmet but very good (and very Californian).
- Late checkout of 4pm was given on night before checkout. There wasn't as much activity there at the beginning of weeks, as I noticed the other suites in the area being more empty on the last night. Allowed us to get a hike in the last day, and lunch, and cleanse ourselves before the drive home.
- Kids activities are not back yet, so don't come here thinking you can drop them off for a few hours and have some adult time.

Overall, I would do this again next year if I was a Globalist. The prices are getting steeper though, points coming in at 48k and 53k next summer for suites.
Did you get an upgrade to the 1BR suite (usually called the Ranch Suite), or were you in the studio suite? Hopefully the former, as that appeared to be the standard practice for Globalists last year. It's rarer to get an upgrade to a 2BR suite.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by jch636
Did you get an upgrade to the 1BR suite (usually called the Ranch Suite), or were you in the studio suite? Hopefully the former, as that appeared to be the standard practice for Globalists last year. It's rarer to get an upgrade to a 2BR suite.
I didnt book the studio since we were over the occupancy limit. I could have risked it but I like the sizes of the suites. The 2BR is probably pretty impossible to get upgraded to.
Roadbob likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta, aa, united silver
Suite views and breakfast

Thanks for all the great info. Globalist Looking at a jan or Feb trip with adult kids and would really appreciate insights.

1) is it worth it from a weather perspective at that time of year? Trying to build around MLK or President day weekend based on work schedules
2) is ranch suite worth using suite upgrades vs 2Q vineyard view studio that is available on points ? Can you get high floor and good view?
3) if I have multiple rooms does each room get free breakfast and potential for availability upgrade?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Roadbob
Thanks for all the great info. Globalist Looking at a jan or Feb trip with adult kids and would really appreciate insights.

1) is it worth it from a weather perspective at that time of year? Trying to build around MLK or President day weekend based on work schedules
2) is ranch suite worth using suite upgrades vs 2Q vineyard view studio that is available on points ? Can you get high floor and good view?
3) if I have multiple rooms does each room get free breakfast and potential for availability upgrade?

Many thanks!
1) Jan/Feb is cold (highs in the 50s/60s) and often rainy (hopefully since CA really needs rain) but if the weather holds you can enjoy most of the ranch maybe minus the pool and vineyard/gardens blooming.
2) I don't believe any of the standard rooms (studios) have 2Q and they won't sleep 4. The ranch suites come in 1k and 2Q and is much larger than the studios, separate living room. Although the vineyard studio with outdoor tub and swing provides great private outdoor space.
3) Jan/Feb is low season so you'll most likely get upgraded to a ranch suite if you book one of the standard studios, unless they sell out. Property is very generous with breakfast.
Roadbob likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:48 am

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Originally Posted by SFOvacations
1) Jan/Feb is cold (highs in the 50s/60s) and often rainy (hopefully since CA really needs rain) but if the weather holds you can enjoy most of the ranch maybe minus the pool and vineyard/gardens blooming.
2) I don't believe any of the standard rooms (studios) have 2Q and they won't sleep 4. The ranch suites come in 1k and 2Q and is much larger than the studios, separate living room. Although the vineyard studio with outdoor tub and swing provides great private outdoor space.
3) Jan/Feb is low season so you'll most likely get upgraded to a ranch suite if you book one of the standard studios, unless they sell out. Property is very generous with breakfast.
2) Two beds ranch suites have two double beds, not queens. All ranch suites have a queen size pullout sofa in the living room. One can also request a rollaway bed and they may or may not charge you $40/night.
3) If you make GOH booking for other rooms, breakfast is free to all. The Valley Kitchen offers a la carte menu or breakfast buffet($38pp). The food and service are pretty good. Right, I just came back from there today.
Roadbob likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta, aa, united silver
Thanks, very helpful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.