Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Maxwell New York City, Tribute Portfolio [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Maxwell New York City, Tribute Portfolio [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by etsmyers
I read a good article about resort/destination fees. Why do we see this more and more?
The article mentions room rates are plummeting and fees climbing because when people use 3rd party sites to book, commissions are paid on room rates only, not ancillary revenue such as fees or dining.

It sucks, but from a business standpoint, makes sense. Also why you started to see parking charges in LV.
I can fully understand the logic behind it, but the only reason they can get away with it is because the overall model believes the consumers will pay them and won't affect bookings in a negative fashion. I for one am fortunate I can vote with my wallet and choose where to stay and not tied to corporate policy. It is essentially a deception and a con, also these fee's are often extra on top of reward stays which gives them anther reason to add them! Overall Marriott lets hotels get away with it and possibly encourages it, which to me says a lot about where its loyalty lies!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
This property just tacked on a $25 destination fee plus tax. Cancelled the reservation I made yesterday as I just noticed it and will move to another property without this sham fee. Wow, this property is really doing everything to get people not to book rooms there.
Sorry to see this news. I stayed there two weeks ago for the first time since the branding change - nothing was different. Hotel has a great location and some incredibly low rates at the moment. Sad to see the Bliss spa is closing shortly, it's always been very convenient (whether staying at the W/Maxwell, the Barclay or GH).
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Was just in NYC last week. Made sure to stay away from any hotels that charged a destination fee.

AA recently rolled back their basic economy no carry on policy because Google Flight gave consumers the options to see total fare including a carry on bag. I can't wait until Kayak/Expedia to start doing the same for hotels.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott lifetime Platinum
Has anybody stayed here after the SPG/Marriott integration (or perhaps even before)? I tried calling them but both the front desk and concierge were clueless. Will new Marriott Platinum (previous Marriott Gold) get free breakfast at this property? I'm considering staying here vs the NY Marriott East right next door, but the Marriott costs quite a bit more.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:47 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
edit: re-wrote this as a review, see below

Last edited by helvetic; Dec 16, 2018 at 9:57 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Maxwell NYC

The Maxwell New York City

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

541 Lexington Ave New York City, New York PH 10022

Maxwell NYC (5 Photos)

This hotel is an absolute dump.

I stayed here in the summer not too long after the rebrand. At the time I got an absolutely tiny room and decided never to return.

Well, fast forward to today — with 8 expiring SNAs and a confirmed reservation at a Four Points, I noticed a cheaper room pop up here and figured I'd reserve and see if SNAs would clear into a one-bedroom suite. The Citi concierge screwed up my Marriott number, which I promptly noticed and emailed my ambassador to fix and apply SNAs. The SNAs were applied for just the one-bedroom suite, and cleared at the 5-day window. The loyalty number did not get fixed, and with multiple follow-ups to the Ambassador team, they assured me it'd be fine at the property.

Arriving here, surprise surprise, they had no record of me having any kind of loyalty, and the SNAs had cleared me into a deluxe queen room (which we had not requested, we only put in a one-bedroom suite). A 30min conversation with the manager on duty led to a request to have the Ambassador reach out in the morning, and that they were sold out and full for the night, but that they'd move me to the correct suite in the morning.

The next day, the suite was even worse than deluxe queen room, with a HVAC panel literally hanging off wires off the wall, a bathroom so tiny the toilet bowl was physically touching the shower curtain, and still only a small queen-sized bed.

To his credit, the manager on duty was fairly friendly and attempted to make things right. After coming back down to show the issues with the new room, he managed to give me the highest-category suite, which was sizable, had a king bed, and enough bathroom space for two adults.

Overall

So, overall, it took some prodding and the service recovery took a while, but I am now happily settled in for the rest of my stay. Unless I can snag one of these top suites again, I won't stay here again — the regular suites and base level rooms are just too small.

Condition

One thing to note is that this hotel is in bad need of refurbishment. It's literally falling apart. All the furniture is extremely worn. The elevators have had technical issues on both of my stays. You can clearly see it's still a W with a "Maxwell" sticker over the old logos.

Onto the positives: the lobby bar exists, the gym has nice equipment. The rates are generally cheap.

Photos

IMG_0892.jpg

One bedroom suite falling apart.

IMG_0893.jpg

Bathroom in One-bedroom suite. A total joke.

IMG_0894.jpg

Penthouse Suite living room. 

IMG_0895.jpg

Penhouse suite room. Not pictured: giant outdoor patio. Would be super nice in summer, but useless in rainy winter.

IMG_0896.jpg

Broken audio system in Penthouse Suite.

Maxwell NYC

Would you like to write a review on the The Maxwell New York City?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
So far not impressed with this place, I have a wedding to attend and the bride has a special price between $179-$199/n, I', going to call in the AM and speak to the some guy named Brian. Has anyone stayed lately???
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So far not impressed with this place, I have a wedding to attend and the bride has a special price between $179-$199/n, I', going to call in the AM and speak to the some guy named Brian. Has anyone stayed lately???
Don't do it! Tell the bride not to ruin her wedding by staying here.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by helvetic
Don't do it! Tell the bride not to ruin her wedding by staying here.
Staying at the RI down the street, the points are the same and the RI gets glowing reviews. Bride is commented to the place, but spoke to her Dad and showed reviews...
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:18 pm

Honestly, Maxwell is decent. I kindda get why it gets bad reviews but its a hotel in need of renovation. My platinum status was honored and I was put into a Queen Suite which was really big. I didnt have the breakfast since I have to catch the 7am flight out but they did give me 2 citi bike passes and $25 food and drink credit which i used. the citi bike passes was great since i biked down to canagie hall for a show and back. I also got some light snacks and beer. $25 destination fee sucks but i paid $110 + tax for the room rate so it was decent for a suite.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
The Maxwell NYC is closing permanently

The Maxwell a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, formerly it was the W, is closing permanently.
Effective today, April 25, 2020, The Maxwell, New York City, Tribute Portfolio is ceasing operations and permanently closing. Several factors went into this decision including the COVID-19 pandemic, forcing the hotel to close.
https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...s-permanently/

Last edited by Ripley62; Apr 25, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The hotel is now permanently closing: https://pointsmilesandmartinis.board...m=BoardingArea
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:01 am

Good riddance, awful hotel
Old Apr 28, 2020, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
"It’s possible it could sit vacant for several year, another hotel company could take it over or even it could be converted to a residential building."

Not for claustrophobes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.