Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Can you transfer Bonvoy Boundless free night credit?

Can you transfer Bonvoy Boundless free night credit?

Old Apr 26, 20, 10:49 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 97
Can you transfer Bonvoy Boundless free night credit?

Subject line pretty much says it all: does anybody know if you can transfer the Bonvoy Boundless Card's annual free night credit to another Bonvoy account?
flyerfirsts is offline  
Old Apr 26, 20, 10:52 am
  #2  
formerly damnyourefine
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: On a plane or a beach
Programs: SPG100, United GS, HA P70K
Posts: 726
You cannot.
anteater is offline  
Old Apr 26, 20, 11:23 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Virginia USA
Posts: 97
Originally Posted by damnyourefine View Post
You cannot.
How about this - if my spouse has the free night and we are travelling together, but I'm putting the rest of the stay on my account, are the hotels generally pretty good about treating it as a continuous stay and not making you leave the room at noon and come back at 3?
flyerfirsts is offline  
Old Apr 26, 20, 11:34 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 63
That's usually YMMV and it depends on the property. If you have status, usually that helps out. I would call the property to check beforehand.
calculus1918 is offline  
Old Apr 26, 20, 5:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oakland, CA
Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Posts: 209
I've never had an issue combining my partner's and my certificate awards on a single stay when both of us are present. Just make the reservations onlne and call or email the hotel, provide the reservation numbers and ask them to link the reservations.

John H

Last edited by jh6000; Apr 26, 20 at 6:00 pm Reason: clarify the post
jh6000 is offline  
Old Apr 26, 20, 8:42 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Canada
Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Posts: 956
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts View Post
How about this - if my spouse has the free night and we are travelling together, but I'm putting the rest of the stay on my account, are the hotels generally pretty good about treating it as a continuous stay and not making you leave the room at noon and come back at 3?
That usually is no problem at all.

My last Marriott stay was actually a 2-night stay using both MamaTwick's and my CC free night cert. Not only were we able to stay in the same room, the hotel graciously provided us with Platinum benefits for both nights.
Twickenham is offline  
Old Apr 27, 20, 10:42 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: AA, AS, UA, Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 295
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts View Post
How about this - if my spouse has the free night and we are travelling together, but I'm putting the rest of the stay on my account, are the hotels generally pretty good about treating it as a continuous stay and not making you leave the room at noon and come back at 3?
We did this with me booking the first night and my wife booking the second night. Told the front desk agent and they said, no problem and we wouldn’t haven’t to switch rooms or anything.

A couple weeks later it turns out they used the my 7 night certificate for the second night. Eventually got it back after a few calls but an inept front desk agent may mess things up for you.

Might be better to inform the front desk the morning of. Did this recently and they checked me out in the system and checked the second reservation into the same room.
BudgetJetsetter is offline  
Old Apr 27, 20, 10:51 am
  #8  
ryw
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: OAK & SFO
Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 899
Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter View Post
Might be better to inform the front desk the morning of. Did this recently and they checked me out in the system and checked the second reservation into the same room.
I suspect this is an easy way to do it (or informing the front desk when you check in), especially if both of you are physically present. I haven't done it with multiple guests, but have made my own back-to-back reservations at the same property before, and often get asked to come down the morning of the first checkout date, and they'll check me out, and check in the second reservation right there into the same room (sometimes re-coding the keys).
ryw is offline  
Old Apr 29, 20, 12:49 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,453
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts View Post
How about this - if my spouse has the free night and we are travelling together, but I'm putting the rest of the stay on my account, are the hotels generally pretty good about treating it as a continuous stay and not making you leave the room at noon and come back at 3?
Did this countless time - the key is at check in, inform the FD that there is a reservation the following night, booked under different account, and asked the FD to assign same room so no need to move. Some hotels would not even need you to do the physical check out / check in again. But if you want to make sure each account gets its night / stay count, esp for elite status / benefit, you want to do a "clean" process, but still no need to change room. FD just do the formality, reprogram your keys, that is all being needed.

Matter of fact, we almost always book individual nights even for multiple nights stay, all from same account - this preserves the flexibility when plan changed and we needed to shift dates / cancel a night at the front / in the middle / at the end, however the plan change required. Much much easier to handle than booking a multiple nights stay as single reservation. The only time we do that is for the 5th night free point booking as that is the only way to get the one free night (although it is no longer the 5th night, but the cheapest night during the whole 5 nights stay, just make sure no misunderstanding here.)
Happy is offline  
Old Apr 30, 20, 8:51 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,758
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Did this countless time - the key is at check in, inform the FD that there is a reservation the following night, booked under different account, and asked the FD to assign same room so no need to move. Some hotels would not even need you to do the physical check out / check in again. But if you want to make sure each account gets its night / stay count, esp for elite status / benefit, you want to do a "clean" process, but still no need to change room. FD just do the formality, reprogram your keys, that is all being needed.

Matter of fact, we almost always book individual nights even for multiple nights stay, all from same account - this preserves the flexibility when plan changed and we needed to shift dates / cancel a night at the front / in the middle / at the end, however the plan change required. Much much easier to handle than booking a multiple nights stay as single reservation. The only time we do that is for the 5th night free point booking as that is the only way to get the one free night (although it is no longer the 5th night, but the cheapest night during the whole 5 nights stay, just make sure no misunderstanding here.)
That is why it is no longer called "The 5th night Free." It is called "Stay 5, Pay for 4."

Marriott's new “Stay 5, Pay for 4
Marriott Bonvoy is known for “5th Night Free,” allowing members to get a fifth night free when they redeem points. This is being rebranded as “Stay for 5, Pay for 4.” With this, members will receive the lowest-point night for free.

The only caveat that I would add is that single daily reservations may preclude multi-day discount promotions at the property. Here is an example from The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta.



Package Rates

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Apr 30, 20, 1:18 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 3,333
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
That is why it is no longer called "The 5th night Free." It is called "Stay 5, Pay for 4."

Marriott's new “Stay 5, Pay for 4
Marriott Bonvoy is known for “5th Night Free,” allowing members to get a fifth night free when they redeem points. This is being rebranded as “Stay for 5, Pay for 4.” With this, members will receive the lowest-point night for free.

The only caveat that I would add is that single daily reservations may preclude multi-day discount promotions at the property. Here is an example from The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta.



Package Rates

James
You can't use the free night award certs in a pay 4 stay 5/fifth night free reservation anyways.
escapefromphl is offline  
Old May 1, 20, 9:59 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,758
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
You can't use the free night award certs in a Pay 4 Stay 5 fifth night free reservation anyways.
There, I fixed that for you!

I made two points, neither of which you seem to have understood.

1) The 5th night free award benefit no longer exists! It was replaced with the Stay 4, Pay 5 award benefit where the free night (not the 5th night) is applied to the lowest award night during the stay.

2) I you are booking seperate reservations for each night of your stay, you may lose out on a local promotion, as illustrated.

I am not sure what a FNC has to do with those points. If a hotel is offering 25% off for stays of 4 nights and their rate is $100/night booking 4 separate reservations would cost you $400. As one reservation, with the 25% discount applied to the minimum nights requirement, the cost is $300. In essence it is a Pay dollars for 3, stay 4th night free promotion. Would paying $300 on three seperate reservations and applying a FNC to the 4th night be of better value to you?

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old May 1, 20, 11:41 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: None - previously UA
Posts: 3,333
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
There, I fixed that for you!
Thanks!

I got all your points about local stay promos.

Originally Posted by Happy View Post

Matter of fact, we almost always book individual nights even for multiple nights stay, all from same account - this preserves the flexibility when plan changed and we needed to shift dates / cancel a night at the front / in the middle / at the end, however the plan change required. Much much easier to handle than booking a multiple nights stay as single reservation. The only time we do that is for the 5th night free point booking as that is the only way to get the one free night
I was just pointing out that FNC’s cannot be used in pay 4 stay 5 award redemptions, since this is a thread about FNC’s. I still prefer to forgo the free night and burn the FNC’s rather than use points in most cases.
escapefromphl is offline  
Old May 1, 20, 2:39 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,453
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
Thanks!

I was just pointing out that FNC’s cannot be used in pay 4 stay 5 award redemptions, since this is a thread about FNC’s. I still prefer to forgo the free night and burn the FNC’s rather than use points in most cases.
I was just pointing out that booking individual nights can be advantageous in virtually ALL circumstances except the one night out of 5 nights free award booking or special promotion only applied to booking a stay with multiple nights, due to the flexibility of booking one night at a time would offer - it does not matter what preference you have - cert / point / revenue - the principle of maintaining flexibility is the same.

There is never an occasion the hotel insists you to move room both domestically and internationally, except if they only had upgrade room available on the first night but not the second night - then you the guest made your choice. And that was the initial concern the original poster worries about - whether he needs to check out in the morning and check back in in the afternoon - that is the crux of the original question.
SPN Lifer and escapefromphl like this.
Happy is offline  
Old May 2, 20, 9:26 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,758
Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
I was just pointing out that FNC’s cannot be used in pay 4 stay 5 award redemptions, since this is a thread about FNC’s.
I don't disagree with you on this point. I was replying to the OP who was erroneous in continuing to reference the Pay 4, Stay 5 benefit as the Fifth night Free benefit.

With point redemptions, the FNC can be utilized, although the OP never explicitly stated so to be "on-topic," whether it is a series of one night reservations or one reservstion for a series of nights.

For any member with significant business CC spend or who Manufactures spend with a goal to pay little to no cash for their stays & status have a different perspective than those that don't. If you aren't willing to pay some cash, local property promotions for multi-night stays won't be attractive. The flexibility of multiple single night awards would be beneficial in those cases especially if you are frequently changing plans. Not one size fits all but some believe their size does. Nothing funnier than someone making blanket statements when trying to drape their queen-size blanket over a king-size bed.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl View Post
I still prefer to forgo the free night and burn the FNC’s rather than use points in most cases.
As long as you are getting good value out of your FNC, all things considered, I can't disagree if that works for you. Value for FNC redemptions in the United States is becoming more & more difficult but I still get great value out of them in my travels around the world. I certainly wouldn't burn a FNC on a $150 rate. I find them useful for Airport Hotels when transiting.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; May 2, 20 at 11:44 am
Flying for Fun is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: