Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Any repercussions from missing first night of booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

We've got a 5-night stay booked at a SPG property in Hawaii (Royal Hawaiian), but we've got a tight connection that I'm afraid we might not make. If so we'd likely show up late the next morning. As long as we notify them that we won't be there until the next day, would there be any repercussions in that case? To be clear, I don't expect a refund of the first night or anything like that -- I just want to make sure the entire reservation doesn't get cancelled out.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Technically, as long as you arrive before checkout time, you shouldn't be considered a no show.

As a practical matter, arriving late means that you're at some risk of being walked for the first night.

As soon as you know your updated arrival time, you should call the hotel and be sure to get the name of the person, ideally a front desk supervisor or manager, you talk with. Especially if the cause is a missed connection or bump, the hotel should be understanding, although of course it would be too late to cancel the first night without paying for it and, in some cases, doing so might cause the remaining nights to be repriced.
Old May 29, 2017, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by milypan
We've got a 5-night stay booked at a SPG property in Hawaii (Royal Hawaiian), but we've got a tight connection that I'm afraid we might not make. If so we'd likely show up late the next morning. As long as we notify them that we won't be there until the next day, would there be any repercussions in that case? To be clear, I don't expect a refund of the first night or anything like that -- I just want to make sure the entire reservation doesn't get cancelled out.
Absolutely keep the hotel informed of your updated arrival time(s) and that you will be showing up. Some properties will drop your rez earlier than checkout time the next day thinking you've forgotten about it and hope for double booking. Keeping them informed should keep a room until you arrive. Especially location like HI, there are many flight mishaps and I'm sure they are very used to that.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Properties deal with delayed pax constantly.

The key is to call the property (not the toll-free reservations line) and make sure that it knows if you will be substantially delayed.

This is doubly true if you have worked to obtain a specific room-type or location. Room assignments tend to go out the window as the evening marches along. You may not be walked, but someone else may wind up with that lovely sweeping view of the beach.
Old May 29, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I haven't used my SPG app for a while. Does it offer app check-in?

If so, use that with a followup call if you end up delayed.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Technically, if you do not show up on your check-in date, you will be a no-show if you don't show up by the time the overnight audit changes the date.

That said, if you know you will be late, PLEASE call!!! The hotel will pre-reg you before the date change during audit. Lots of guests book the night before if they want to guarantee a room ready in the morning. But, they do call and let the hotel know to avoid being marked as NOSHOW.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Great, thanks for the advice and reassurances!
Old May 29, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by slidergirl
Lots of guests book the night before if they want to guarantee a room ready in the morning. But, they do call and let the hotel know to avoid being marked as NOSHOW.
I've booked starting the evening before when I plan to show up the following morning where I need my room to be ready. As noted above, I clearly state that I plan on arriving in the morning and that I have booked starting the previous evening. I haven't had any problems with this approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.