GB to Asia TP run advice: New user

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
GB to Asia TP run advice: New user

Hi All.

First time on here.

I fly BA (currently silver on 800pts with end in Oct 8th) usually because of the extra baggage. I'm going for gold this year and normally fly GLA-LHR-2 stops in asia (EG HKG-PVG, Seoul-Tokyo, SIN-somewhere near)-LHR-GLA every month and one GLA-LGW or LHR.

On the Asia routes I go LHR-direct. Is there a better way to go for TP's? E.G. HEL?

Or since I'm silver, is the Gold not that much better and am I better also using another airline to get status or TP's there.

I'm only interested if I can spend my airmails for Europe flights or car hire in Euro Airports.

I fly economy (WT) because we are a small company but sometimes get one leg on WT+

Cheers
GC

Last edited by GlasgowCyclops; May 29, 2017 at 3:47 am Reason: forgot to mention I'm an economy flyer
Old May 29, 2017, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi GlasgowCyclops,

Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum!^

The obvious alternative routings to the far east would be via HEL ( with Finnair from HEL or perhaps JAL to tokyo) or DOH ( with qatar) for 2 sets of tier points compared to one for LHR-non stop .

The benefits are probably better in business class rather than economy.

Regards

TBS
Old May 29, 2017, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi GlasgowCyclops,

Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum!^

The obvious alternative routings to the far east would be via HEL ( with Finnair from HEL or perhaps JAL to tokyo) or DOH ( with qatar) for 2 sets of tier points compared to one for LHR-non stop .

The benefits are probably better in business class rather than economy.

Regards

TBS
Thanks TBS.

I'll check itinerary on Skyscanner then on BA to get price. The BA multi city is poor unless you know which route and time. Also Skyscanner don't normally list all OneWorld as OneWortld (EG CX) so it makes routing a bit more difficult.

Off hunting now. :-)
Best regards
Bob
Old May 29, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Bob, try Google flights or matrix - you can filter down to OneWorld
Old May 29, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Do ITALYLHR--HKG-CTU-HKG-LHR-MAD-TFS.

You won't regret it.
Old May 29, 2017, 6:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
I fly BA (currently silver on 800pts with end in Oct 8th) usually because of the extra baggage. I'm going for gold this year and normally fly GLA-LHR-2 stops in asia (EG HKG-PVG, Seoul-Tokyo, SIN-somewhere near)-LHR-GLA every month and one GLA-LGW or LHR.
Welcome to Flyertalk GlasgowCyclops, and welcome to the BA forum, it's good to see you here. I'm sure you'll get some good advice here, I'll lob in two:
- the key aspect are trips that are over 2000 miles. That knocks your TPs into the higher TP ranking, so if you have a trip of 5600 miles then a slightly indirect route on 3 sectors of 2000 miles will be a relatively cost effective way to pile on the points.
- GLA-LON has Club Europe now. If you are offered a POUG or AUP (see Dashboard for relevant threads, and a glossary) at approx £65, this may be a reasonably cost effective way to go from 5 TPs to 40.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Hi All.
On the Asia routes I go LHR-direct. Is there a better way to go for TP's? E.G. HEL?
Hi Cyclops - fellow Glaswegian here!

I'm heading out to Asia later this week - taking Norwegian from EDI to CPH, then (as The Flying Scot has suggested) QR to SIN for just over £800 in business, then Avios to HKG - worked out cheaper than BA in economy from GLA via LHR, and 560 TPs as well!

GLA-LGW has some good Club Europe deals as well - about £20 more than economy and 40 TPs each time.

Good luck!
Old May 29, 2017, 9:25 am

thanks
Old May 29, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Thanks CWS, I've done the last two trips to London CE to LGW on the 09.40 and got 40TP's on that. My HQ is in Hampshire so I do this once a month.

My trip tomorrow is Gla-LHR-PVG-HKG-LHR-Gla.

Last month was GLA-LHR-HKG-TPE-HKG-PVG-LHR-GLA so I'm okay with muti trips. However, Id rather "tart" from GLA.

One thing I've not found is... if I pay or upgrade with Avios, Do I still get the TP's?

Ha Ha Cysyuen Tenerife :-) Sent the office a pic of me doing admin on Manley beach in Sydney and that "went down well" NOT :-) Tenerife would push them over the edge.

Thanks for all your help. I feel some mega trips coming on. I'll need to get some cheap business or WT+ legs sorted.

PS if anyone needs any advice on ski deals let me know. :-) I'm not in that business but I know where to get gear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.