Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F trip report and question

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
F trip report and question

Just returned from an F redemption, GLA – LHR – BOS return, booked a year in advance, prior to CE on domestics. I had been slightly concerned having read some poor experiences on here. It was a first First, to celebrate a milestone birthday.

We checked in online (via the app), and on arrival at the airport had our passports checked and bags deposited. The check in agent pro-actively told us about the lounge in GLA, even though I was still on an ET connection, and found it relaxed and pleasant, I hadn’t been in it since it was the BMi lounge !
Once at LHR, we went straight to the CCR, and were impressed but it was busy. Eventually found a quiet area by a fireplace, end enjoyed some champagne and superb olives and mixed nuts, before I proceeded for my pre-booked massage in the Elemis spa. I received a neck and shoulder massage despite having booked a scalp massage, but it was nice none the less. Took the opportunity to have three courses in the CCR and was impressed with all, especially the desert. Service was polite and prompt.
Boarding was on time, from T5 “B” satellite. We were welcomed on board the 777, and shown to our seats, but by an attendant in Club (Sean), who was lovely. He disappeared back to Club, and left us with a disappointingly nonchalant F crew, who seemed completely ambivalent to our presence, or needs. Champagne was offered, and accepted. To be fair, one of the crew warmed up though throughout the flight, but seemed almost hostile to my wife, not sure why. As far as I could tell, we were being pleasant to them. Anyway, as we had eaten in the CCR, we asked to eat later in flight, only to be told the food was already warming and we should eat as soon as we could. I got the impression it was to benefit the crew, rather than us. I also took the opportunity to “buddy” dine with my wife, but found the footstool seat was slightly cramped.
As others have mentioned, the amuse bouche is back (as is the F loo flower), was pleasant, and my starter of polenta beignet was fabulous, worthy of any restaurant on the ground, I thought. My beef main was a wee bit chewy, but nice none the less, and desert was good too.
Before long we were landing in BOS, and once on the ground I was invited in to the flight deck, where the pilots were chatty and happy to have me there.
So a mixed bag, but not quite the experience I had hoped for. I do now see why some people refer to BA F as the best J product out there !

Had wonderful time in Boston, well worth a visit if you’ve not been, and usually good availability too.

So, the return.

F check-in was swift and pleasant, through FastTrack security and immediately into the new BOS lounge, which is impressive, although I hadn’t seen the original to compare. As it had been hot in Boston (33C), a shower was in order which both my wife and I had, but not together ! Other FT’ers have mentioned Juan, who was very friendly and helpful, and even insisted I took my glass of champagne into the shower room with me. You can take the boy out of Glasgow………….
Once showered and refreshed, we decided to make use of the F dining area in Boston, and got a table, but I noted there are 14 seats to F dine, and later guest were turned away because it was full. Not sure if they were very early for one of the later flights. My wife requires a gluten free diet, and when enquired what she could have, was told quite blankly, nothing ! Salad from the buffet was her only option, and the kitchen was too busy to provide anything else, take it or leave it. Not quite the high American service standards we were expecting. Upon being told this, my wife asked to speak to the lounge manager, who apologised profusely, brought the head chef out from the kitchen, who introduced himself and discussed what options could be produced for her, and she ended up having a main dish direct for the menu with no alterations. As it turned out the dining was very disappointing in any case, nowhere near as good as the CCR. Things got worse from there.

We were later called to the front desk, where we were informed that one of our seats had a broken seat belt, and that as there were no other seats in F, one of us would have to be downgraded to Club. Now, I was very conscious of previous reports of redemption pax being picked for downgrade, when the class was oversold. Upon further discussion, it transpired that there were no seats in club either, and our options were one F seat now and one Club seat later, two Club seats later, or one F one WT ! The flight was close to departure, and we didn’t have much time to choose. The flight in question was an A380 (G-XLEA), which I had been keen to try, so my lovely wife relented and agreed to take the later flight in J. The Boston Ops manager pro-actively offered a pre-paid $675 (EUR €600) MasterCard, which I later discovered has a disclaimer on it decreeing it to be in line with EU261 compensation. Once I boarded, I was somewhat relieved to see that the seat, 2E, was indeed broken, or at least had a seat belt which could not be fastened, and had a large “do not sit” cover over it, so at least we hadn’t been lied to. The CSD (Sam) approached immediately, and was extremely apologetic, and provided quite simply wonderful customer service, to me at least. Once the discussion about my wife was completed, I mentioned this being my first trip in F, and first time on the A380. I was then given a guided tour of both decks of the aircraft, and again invited into the flight deck before take-off. All the crew could not have been nicer if they tried, food was OK, and I noticed the slightly roomier suite on the A380, especially the buddy dine/foot stool area and A/K seats. I dozed off, and awoke to two bottles of champagne (LPGS) and a box of chocolates on my table. Upon landing, I was once again invited into the flight deck, got my souvenir photograph taken on the BA iPad app, and was actually hugged by the CSD upon leaving ! Despite travelling on my own, it was a truly wonderful, proper first class experience. Just a shame I was on my own, and the outbound hadn’t been as pleasant.
As it turns out, my wife did get an F seat on her later flight (a 747) but missed her re-scheduled connection, and arrived in GLA some four and a half hours after me, also with a bottle of champagne (LPGS) in hand.

She hasn’t commented much about her return F experience, but I gather it was better than the outbound. No GF SPML was provided to her as it had been loaded on the original flight. It was overnight though, so no big deal.

Thanks for reading if you’ve got this far, and I maybe do have one question. If, as described, we’ve received compensation, is it worth complaining further ? Would any Avios be forthcoming ? I suppose anything would be beneficial, even a token 5000 Avios. I am conscious that we received downgrade (or Involuntary Denied Boarding ?) compensation when there was in fact, no downgrade after all, but IDB instead ? And £350 worth of fizz ! But our overall experience was somewhat spoiled.

Thanks for reading, and for any forthcoming comments and/or advice.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
Just returned from an F redemption, GLA – LHR – BOS return, booked a year in advance, prior to CE on domestics. I had been slightly concerned having read some poor experiences on here. It was a first First, to celebrate a milestone birthday.

Had wonderful time in Boston, well worth a visit if you’ve not been, and usually good availability too.

So, the return.

F check-in was swift and pleasant, through FastTrack security and immediately into the new BOS lounge, which is impressive, although I hadn’t seen the original to compare. As it had been hot in Boston (33C), a shower was in order which both my wife and I had, but not together ! Other FT’ers have mentioned Juan, who was very friendly and helpful, and even insisted I took my glass of champagne into the shower room with me. You can take the boy out of Glasgow………….
Once showered and refreshed, we decided to make use of the F dining area in Boston, and got a table, but I noted there are 14 seats to F dine, and later guest were turned away because it was full. Not sure if they were very early for one of the later flights. My wife requires a gluten free diet, and when enquired what she could have, was told quite blankly, nothing ! Salad from the buffet was her only option, and the kitchen was too busy to provide anything else, take it or leave it. Not quite the high American service standards we were expecting. Upon being told this, my wife asked to speak to the lounge manager, who apologised profusely, brought the head chef out from the kitchen, who introduced himself and discussed what options could be produced for her, and she ended up having a main dish direct for the menu with no alterations. As it turned out the dining was very disappointing in any case, nowhere near as good as the CCR. Things got worse from there.

Thanks for reading, and for any forthcoming comments and/or advice.
Sorry to hear that things didn't go smoothly for you on your trip. Very pleased you got to meet Juan who is a :-:. The Chef in BOS was in the past (and I'm not sure if you had the same one I met) a very nice bloke who came out in the old lounge dining area looking for feedback about the food. I made a suggestion about the vegetarian option which he said he'd look into. The quality of the food had actually improved in the lounge when I was last there which was well before the new lounge opened. I wonder whether the increase in the number of diners in the new lounge is taking a toll on the quality. Can't comment on the EC261 stuff as I've never needed it (touch wood ) and will leave that to someone else.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:57 am

Interesting to read.

The seat with the damaged seatbelt, this was your seat that you had selected in advance? I ask because I'm wondering did they move people around to offload one of you. Maybe they just decided to offload whoever was in that seat. Or maybe they got lucky that the person on a redemption was also in the defective seat.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
I personally take a resonable aprroach to compensation, rather than just looking for the max available each time.

When i have felt BA handled it as well as possible i haven't applied for it. With the seat genuinely out of order, and being well taken care of from there. I personally wouldnt take it further.
However I have also twice felt BA could have done more and did pursue EC261.

Im not an expert in the legal detail as to if you have a case though.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:00 am

deleted
Old May 22, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
But our overall experience was somewhat spoiled.
Sorry, I don't get it. You (your wife) received EUR 600 for taking a later flight (VDB on an award ticket) and now you want more?

Last edited by SK AAR; May 22, 2017 at 9:06 am
Old May 22, 2017, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Sorry to hear that things didn't go smoothly for you on your trip. Very pleased you got to meet Juan who is a star. The Chef in BOS was in the past (and I'm not sure if you had the same one I met) a very nice bloke who came out in the old lounge dining area looking for feedback about the food. I made a suggestion about the vegetarian option which he said he'd look into. The quality of the food had actually improved in the lounge when I was last there which was well before the new lounge opened. I wonder whether the increase in the number of diners in the new lounge is taking a toll on the quality. Can't comment on the EC261 stuff as I've never needed it (touch wood ) and will leave that to someone else.
The chef I'm sure was called Mike, and had a very firm handshake ! He also loudly proclaimed himself to be a "Boston Irish-catholic" ! Top bloke, but the food was so-so. Juan is indeed an absolute gem.
Thanks for reading
Old May 22, 2017, 9:06 am

If as I think you both travelled back in F (albeit separately) and picked up €600 and at least 3 bottles of LPGS then I think you've done pretty well out of it.

Yes, you had your special trip together ruined - but you saw the evidence that it was a genuine problem. I'd say you can have some very nice quality time with the compensation and LPGS. I'd leave it there and think BA had actually handled it pretty well.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkFlies
Interesting to read.

The seat with the damaged seatbelt, this was your seat that you had selected in advance? I ask because I'm wondering did they move people around to offload one of you. Maybe they just decided to offload whoever was in that seat. Or maybe they got lucky that the person on a redemption was also in the defective seat.
Yes, this was our pre-selected seat, some considerable time in advance, and was just our luck.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
A bit pants that the crew tried to manage your mealtimes on the outbound. It's supposed to be dine on demand.

Honestly, the F experience is not bad at all on BA - in fact, in terms of value, it's quite good (considering the price paid). But why oh why do they try this trick? It gets reported on here so often.

When will BA learn that F is "supposed to be" about a personalised experience for each passenger, with discretion, privacy and flexibility? For goodness' sake, people are on different timezones - or adjusting to a new one.

AA managed to postpone my dinner on a F 77W transcon last year. My yardstick is that if AA crews can do it then anyone can, you know...
Old May 22, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
The chef I'm sure was called Mike, and had a very firm handshake ! He also loudly proclaimed himself to be a "Boston Irish-catholic" ! Top bloke, but the food was so-so. Juan is indeed an absolute gem.
Thanks for reading
That may well be him. ^ The food used to be done in smaller quantities and only those actually traveling F or J could dine. It was also done in groups so only those on 212 could dine in the first sitting etc. I suspect whilst the lounge has improved immeasurably from the one on the Mezzanine level with no windows* - the food has suffered due to the increase in quantity needed. What I had last year in Flounge as a VLML before BA212 was excellent and it's a shame that this appears to have suffered.

*If you never used it you won't appreciate the difference but trust me it's a giant leap forwards.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:12 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The 600EUR can not replace EU261 compensation, as the compensation for downgrade is 75% of the flight fare, not 600 EUR. Their giving this card is not a replacement.
Edit: For IDB then the level of compensation is for BA to decide and then the Mastercard would act as this.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Sorry, I don't get it. You (your wife) received EUR 600 for taking a later flight (VDB on an award ticket) and now you want more?
Involuntary denied boarding surely ? I don't WANT more compensation, was just seeking advice from this forum.
The main point of this post was a trip report, which I thought others would find interesting.
As it happens I do feel we've treated fairly under the circumstances, but was disappointed we couldn't travel together.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
I'm sure someone will respond with the appropriate amount of compensation you should have been or should be entitled to but the fact you agreed to what you did usually ends the discussion. It doesn't sound like it was enough though
We have only had two situations we were downgraded and it was "voluntary" at the check in counter due to overbooking and the need to get people on a flight to make connections
1) we were in CW and asked if we would consider taking the later flight out of YYZ also in CW as they were moving people from the later flight to the earlier flight because the later flight was delayed 2 hrs. It meant a delay for us of 6 hrs but we could go home and come back a few hours later and had no connection in LHR.... I said sure and tongue in cheek the compensation better be good and the reply was is $1000 each Canadian and we can seat you in F ok ???? I said sure
2) we were in F overbooked by one seat which were told was very rare but it had happened no further explanation given. As it was the last flight out we had 3 options 1) fly as booked but they would really appreciate one of us volunteering to be downgraded 2)Rebook tomorrow in F (not an option really for us) or 3 one of us fly in CW to LHR and receive $1000 and 75% of the fare difference and as we flew on Avios 75% of the one way diff in Avios between CW and F to be honest I can't remember what that was but I countered with
We would like to fly in the same cabin together (mrs is a very nervous flyer) so we would accept 2 seats next to each other in CW....$2000 each and the Avios as was offered and can we still eat in the F lounge in YYZ. The agent st check in went to check with her supervisor and said ok. We are happy flying east in CW vs F for a 6hr night flight and we got a crap load of Avios and $4000...... Best deal ever
You should get better compensation than you described I believe
Old May 22, 2017, 9:15 am

I don't think you were IDB though - you were offered a WT seat on the flight, for which you would have been entitled a refund of 75% of the fare for that sector. You chose to take a seat on a later flight so I think that switches this from IDB to VDB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.