Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F trip report and question

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Originally Posted by fransknorge
The 600EUR can not replace EU261 compensation, as the compensation for downgrade is 75% of the flight fare, not 600 EUR. Their giving this card is not a replacement.
Edit: For IDB then the level of compensation is for BA to decide and then the Mastercard would act as this.
I'll check the wording tonight. My confusion is because the Mastercard was offered when the later flight was downgraded to Club, which was subsequently put back up to First. So was the mastercard for downgrade or denied boarding, or both !
Old May 22, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I don't think you were IDB though - you were offered a WT seat on the flight, for which you would have been entitled a refund of 75% of the fare for that sector. You chose to take a seat on a later flight so I think that switches this from IDB to VDB.
Ah, OK. Got you now. The ops manger didn't mention that till later, as he knew we would never accept it.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This is neither downgrade nor IDB. The pax accepted to take the later BA flight and traveled in F (as originally booked). The pax was offered a MC worth EUR 600 (+ received 1 botle of C + two for the OP, but that is hardly of relevance) which was accepted. End of story.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Thanks for posting the trip report. It will be good to see Juan in a few weeks.

If this were me, I wouldn't spend any more time on this. 600 EUR of pre-paid card and over £300 worth of LPGS is damn good. Someone that knows EU261 better may jump in with some useful advice, perhaps due to the delay with your partner getting home but still, nearly £1000 for a bit of wait doesn't seem so bad.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
OMG my dream scenario.

Escape my darling in First with free flow LPGS and two bottles to take home.

Oh and 600 Euros into the bargain.

New shoes for her too.

This would be win win for me but shhh don't tell her.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I agree with others too - really enjoyed your trip report (shame about the crew on the first leg), and I also think you came out of this pretty well, given you both still flew in F.

You could try for some Avios but I wouldn't spend much more time on it either.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
So is it a fair conclusion, having read the OPs adventure, to say that BA as a matter of policy would not attempt to downgrade one passenger in Club or WT+ to a lower class , in order to ensure a displaced First passenger gets to their destination in the next best cabin ? I mean, seriously- "heres our premium experience: if you want to get to your destination together, one of you needs to travel in economy". I guess it's cheaper to compensate one passenger instead of two or three by downgrading others. Or ....were these the options given to the OP because it was a redemption ticket? ie. a paid F pax wouldn't be told "you need to travel WT or take a later flight and not in F anyway" (to paraphrase). This actually might explain the options given, if every other seat in Club and WT+ was a paid seat. Interested if someone knows the procedural answer to all this....or is it down to the luck of the draw on how accommodating the staff are?

One would like to dream that the premium cabin experience includes being prioritised for next cabin class when a fault of the airlines own equipment causes a problem.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seanp7
I agree with others too - really enjoyed your trip report (shame about the crew on the first leg), and I also think you came out of this pretty well, given you both still flew in F.

You could try for some Avios but I wouldn't spend much more time on it either.
Thanks seanp7, glad you enjoyed it. As I said this post was really about a trip report. I don't want to turn this into a BA/F bashing thread, nor a rant about entitlement to compensation. I do think we were fairly treated, came out of it well and only wanted to gauge the opinion of better qualified and more informed members on here.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1922Mk2
I'll check the wording tonight. My confusion is because the Mastercard was offered when the later flight was downgraded to Club, which was subsequently put back up to First. So was the mastercard for downgrade or denied boarding, or both !
OK, so the wording is "You agree to accept this card as the method of payment of your compensation under Article 7.3 of Regulation (EC) no261/2004. This does not affect any of your other statutory rights".

As someone else said, downgrade compensation is in the form of 30/50/75% of fare paid (Article 10), so this would seem to be (at least) in the spirit of Article 4.3, IDB, which states "If boarding is denied to passengers against their will, the operating air carrier shall immediately compensate them in accordance with Article 7........."
Perhaps it could also be considered a good will gesture, along with the champagne.
Either way, it would appear to be a decent result, and was offered immediately, rather than have to be claimed for.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
J

Thanks for reading if you’ve got this far, and I maybe do have one question. If, as described, we’ve received compensation, is it worth complaining further ? Would any Avios be forthcoming ? I suppose anything would be beneficial, even a token 5000 Avios. I am conscious that we received downgrade (or Involuntary Denied Boarding ?) compensation when there was in fact, no downgrade after all, but IDB instead ? And £350 worth of fizz ! But our overall experience was somewhat spoiled.
An otherwise great trip report, apart from the above.
Why, oh why is there this need to try and squeeze as much out of the airline as possible?
Old May 22, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I suspect whilst the lounge has improved immeasurably from the one on the Mezzanine level with no windows - the food has suffered due to the increase in quantity needed.
I had dinner in the BOS F dining section a couple of weeks back (last time I'll get to use the CCR card in a while) and I actually thought the food was really good - better than the London CCR in some ways.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: ba gold
Originally Posted by mlafqtv
An otherwise great trip report, apart from the above.
Why, oh why is there this need to try and squeeze as much out of the airline as possible?
I'll ask a different question, why oh why does ba need to squeeze every drop of revenue from premium cabins by overbooking?
Old May 22, 2017, 11:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by a mirrer
I'll ask a different question, why oh why does ba need to squeeze every drop of revenue from premium cabins by overbooking?
The issue here was a broken seat rather than overbooking.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by smokie36
The issue here was a broken seat rather than overbooking.
Agreed - but it's peculiar a lone traveller wasn't targeted for the next flight rather than splitting a party
Old May 23, 2017, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Anyway, as we had eaten in the CCR, we asked to eat later in flight, only to be told the food was already warming and we should eat as soon as we could. I got the impression it was to benefit the crew, rather than us.
This is a very poor show, and I would be raising a complaint on this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.