Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

3 days to take-off, GUC not cleared despite empty seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta Gold, Alaska 75K, United & American nobody b/c who'd ever fly them

Leave Saturday for SJC - SEA - ICN. I'm still waitlisted after two weeks for use of a GUC on the SEA - ICN leg. (F comp on SJC - SEA already)

It's DL 199 (Boeing 767), and I'm still showing 7 empty seats up front -- 5C, 7B, 7C, 8B, 8C, 9B, and 9C. The same 7 seats have been showing vacant for almost two weeks. I'm still waitlisted with a comp to C+ 19F (limited recline...gasp!)

I'm aware the GUCs can sometimes wait until the gate to be cleared. And I'll sit here patiently and cautiously optimistic. Just wondering... is it normal for Delta to wait THIS close to the flight to clear some of them? Are they really that likely to sell 7 last-minute F seats?

I'm DM / Delta Reserve / holding a Y ticket
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You answered the question yourself. Plus that's not many seats especially for a long haul where people buy last minute and there's reroutes due to IRROPS.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Not at all uncommon for them to wait until the gate to clear, especially this close to departure.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
I have flown this route several times and I've never had a GUC clear before the day of departure. Remember that just because it shows that 7 seats are available, there could be some people who have booked J class and haven't selected their seats yet, for whatever reason! With only 9 seats showing in both Economy classes, you could even score an Op-Up!

Last edited by audidudi; Mar 28, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by audidudi
Remember that just because it shows that 7 seats are available, there could be some people who have booked J class and haven't selected their seats yet, for whatever reason!
EF says DL199 on 4/1 is J4 W0 Y7
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: DL DM
As said above, there are only 4 seats open for sale. Last minute changes and purchases happen quite often. I would not get my hopes up, your chances are slim at this point.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
The only way to make certain GUCs are used effectively is to book well in advance and be flexible in terms of dates and routes - which can be impacted by several factors - so that the upgrades clear at booking rather than being wait-listed.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno
The only way to make certain GUCs are used effectively is to book well in advance and be flexible in terms of dates and routes - which can be impacted by several factors - so that the upgrades clear at booking rather than being wait-listed.
This. 100%.

Otherwise for the most part you are watching the upgrade list for a gate clear.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:27 am

This is my only legitimate gripe with Delta's FF program. If they can't improve/ease the use of these RUC and GUCs, then they should change the way they advertise PM and DM benefits. It's a real disappointment when you finally achieve PM/DM, and then realize how hard and/or stressful it is to use the advertised benefits.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Too bad you aren't on the DTW-ICN flight. That one is showing more seats for sale.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
There are sometimes certain benefits to having your GUC clear at the gate.
It can make the wait and tension worthwhile.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by airmotive
There are sometimes certain benefits to having your GUC clear at the gate.
such as?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd rather have it clear in advance than risk not getting upgraded at the gate for the off chance rare occurrence that the cert doesn't get used/closed when the upgrade clears at boarding time.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
such as?
I've never gone to gate but based on reports, it seems some gate cleared upgrades never close out the certificate, leaving it open for reuse.

How people think this is OK is beyond me. What if DL audits and found you used a certificate twice - would they take miles, threaten status, deduct a future certificate (like AA does)...

I don't actually believe its real or frequent and I wouldn't want to go to the gate for the opportunity to be called a thief by the airline months down the road (as I assume people referring to that "benefit" would have no issues applying the already used cert again)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by Flamenguista
This is my only legitimate gripe with Delta's FF program. If they can't improve/ease the use of these RUC and GUCs, then they should change the way they advertise PM and DM benefits. It's a real disappointment when you finally achieve PM/DM, and then realize how hard and/or stressful it is to use the advertised benefits.
+1

I have a handful of RUCs expiring in June that I have tried to use at least 5 times that recall. Shouldn't be that hard...every one of those flights had multiple seats open when I booked. I get that they sold enough tickets that I didn't make the UG, but it's called a regional upgrade certificate, not a regional "if we feel like it" certificate. Not to mention the hours of time lost because of the ridiculous 1980's method of applying those things (and the high failure/rework rate of getting them applied successfully).

I'd rather have fewer certs that were silver bullets rather than this hit or miss miss miss method.

Last edited by orca15; Mar 29, 2017 at 9:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.