Search

The Guardian having a crack this time

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold
The Guardian having a crack this time

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ritish-airways

Victoria Cohen Mitchell in Sunday's Guardian picking up the stories we've all heard
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Fair comment
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Sums it up beautifully.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

''Race to the bottom''. No prizes for guessing where she's been doing her research.

I like the bit about increasing fares by a few quid to improve overall quality. Eh Victoria....I think Willie Walsh would have sussed that one out by now if it was a banker solution.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I don't see this as 'having a crack' at BA.

There is nothng in the article that is incorrect or exagerated.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA, AA, QF, BD, SQ, EY
BA can't compete with the no frills airlines or the more luxurious carriers. It squarely sits in the mediocre range. Fly them or don't, there are plenty of other options (internationally at least). There have been enough articles written about the good old days of British Airways for people to know they ain't what they used to be. Try something new!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goglobalnz
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ritish-airways

Victoria Cohen Mitchell in Sunday's Guardian picking up the stories we've all heard
So I guess we can say what will feature on the BBC this week. OP, I take it you're not a subscriber or you would surely know this faux pax...I also hope you're not using an Ad-blocker .

What I don't understand is surely the wealthy VCM would be enjoying the premium delights of the Club Europe cabin. I hope BA can inform her of the latest improvements starting shortly including crockery and (allegedly) premium toasties. Perhaps VCM and her esteemed intellectual-heavyweight colleague Polly Toynbee can start a fund to help those pay for bevvies stuck down the back suffering the plight of the Euro Trash cabin. The struggle is never ending.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:16 am

Pedant alert. There is no Sunday Guardian: walk into a newsagent and what you buy is "The Observer". Though to be fair, they share the same website.
She seems to have touched a nerve - loads of comments pouring into her article.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
''Race to the bottom''. No prizes for guessing where she's been doing her research.

I like the bit about increasing fares by a few quid to improve overall quality. Eh Victoria....I think Willie Walsh would have sussed that one out by now if it was a banker solution.
Seeing as BA fares are already "more than a few quid" more than the competition (and will be forever as a result of the charges from operating at LHR) it's clear BA has no interest in low fares, only low costs.

The result is a very poor value for money product.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Seeing as BA fares are already "more than a few quid" more than the competition (and will be forever as a result of the charges from operating at LHR) it's clear BA has no interest in low fares, only low costs.

The result is a very poor value for money product.
I suppose the real fare comparisons should be made against the markets BA is directly competing - such as from LGW, STN. LHR's fees alone can be more than the whole flight charged by EZY, FR et al and will give a rather warped view.

I have no doubt that BA have pinched too many pennies, and it looks like that approach is not changing anytime soon.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Mar 26, 2017 at 3:51 am Reason: Fat fingers
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think she nails what I and many other actual BA passengers have been saying for a while. Great article.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I wonder what BA PR is going to do with all these articles popping up and complaining about the Ba demise
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I think she nails what I and many other actual BA passengers have been saying for a while. Great article.
Indeed, I don't think there is anything in that article that one could argue against .. although I'm not entirely certain you can buy toilet rolls airside

I must admit, this made me chuckle:

"... a flight to Barbados was delayed at London Gatwick for nearly six hours while ground crew restocked the plane due to a shortage of toilet roll. Why so long? That hasn’t been made clear, but no doubt you could wipe your arse on the amount of red tape required to re-stock anything at a big company. God forbid someone just nips into Boots at the terminal, back in 10 minutes..."
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I agree
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Indeed, I don't think there is anything in that article that one could argue against .. although I'm not entirely certain you can buy toilet rolls airside

I must admit, this made me chuckle:

"... a flight to Barbados was delayed at London Gatwick for nearly six hours while ground crew restocked the plane due to a shortage of toilet roll. Why so long? That hasn’t been made clear, but no doubt you could wipe your arse on the amount of red tape required to re-stock anything at a big company. God forbid someone just nips into Boots at the terminal, back in 10 minutes..."
I agree! Though I recall, maybe mistakenly, that only particular types of toilet roll are allowed aboard, and certainly not due to cost cutting, and that is why a 3-ply is not supplied in F loos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.