Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Essex House experience

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2003, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff

JW Marriott Essex House New York

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

160 Central Park S New York, NY US 10019

Good Essex House experience (0 Photo)

Checked in Monday for second stay ever at Essex House. The first stay was a few month's back, during which I got a great suite (lousy view).

At check-in, I was offered a room with a single bed. My reservation was for a queen. I explained that I expected AT LEAST what I reserved for and the clerk magically found a room. (By the way, she also gave me a spa pass, which I did not receive the previous time.)

I got to the room and it was very small and disappionting. I picked up the phone (cell phone access at Essex House is poor from the guest rooms) and paid $2 to call Starwood to inquire about other properties to move to for Tue night. Found a decent deal. I was also annoyed by the really poor phone quality.

I then called Service Express and asked to speak to a manager and explained that I was annoyed at check in at being offered a room inferior to what I had reserved (I explained that I understood upgrades were only "as available.") I also mentioned that I had not stayed in such a small room at a Starwood in many years, and I planned to check out one day early. The manager "magically" found a great suite for me! By the way, the conversation was very cordial on both sides. I also explained to him that the phone was working poorly, which he could tell from his end (he later indicated that many phones need replacements). Anyhow, the manager himself came to change keys with me. I got another great suite (lousy view) on a low floor. Kudos to mgmt for convincing me to stay both nights!

Late Tue night, I met a friend in the lobby. There was quite a to-do going on at the front door with one man bleeding profusely and screaming at a woman. He seemed drunk. I could not fathom what had transpired. The doormen and bellhops had physical control of the man. I phoned 911 (cell works in the lobby!) and 4 cruisers arrived after several minutes. I compliment the lobby staff for taking control of a very ugly, bloody, dangerous and unpleasant experience. I did not stick around for the aftermath or to learn what had happened.

Anyhow, I left Essex House with good feelings and hope to return, although it does seem, in agreement with postings here, that service there is inconsistent.

Would you like to write a review on the JW Marriott Essex House New York?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 15, 2003, 4:53 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
Anyhow, I left Essex House with good feelings and hope to return, although it does seem, in agreement with postings here, that service there is inconsistent.</font>
Yeah, they'll treat you well if you are a platinum and willing to have a cordial conversation with a manager. But show up drunk, screaming, and bleeding profusely, and they treat you like a second class citizen. Inconsistant indeed.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 6:43 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
They should treat you well as a Platinum without the need of ANY conversation with a manager. Otherwise the property is just not complying with SPG rules. A good upgrade (if available) is not a favor from the manager. It's your right...and his duty.

[This message has been edited by fljbrs (edited 01-15-2003).]
Old Feb 17, 2003, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
So it took a conversation just to get what you asked and another to get upgraded?
Old Feb 18, 2003, 8:45 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by welookgood.com:
So it took a conversation just to get what you asked and another to get upgraded?</font>
Par for the course at the Essex House. In fact, better final results than most interactions there - it's like they're doing you a favor. Certainly not one of the places that's known for treating Plats well or following SPG guidelines.

We read about it so much here. It's happened to me on a couple of occasions. How come it continues?

Old Feb 18, 2003, 8:08 pm

I use to stay almost exclusively at the Essex House before I discovered the W Times Square. I have always found the Essex level of service to be fairly good. Although I am only Gold, I have never had a problem with upgrades. Granted, their room types differ considerably, and some have no views at all, but I do like the diversity that comes with staying at such a hotel. I have been upgraded to suites and rooms with a view of Central Park. In fact, I do not recall every not being upgraded. I do remember being placed in a room with a view of Central Park that was a little small, but the view made up for the room size. In any case, I did not experience what you did in terms of the singl bed. I've always been in either a king or double/double.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, LH Senator, UA Premier Executive, RG Diamante
I stayed at the Essex House four times in the last 3 months. Location is great. But the attention and service is poor :
As a gold *wood member, although always asking for, I had no upgrades at all !
Last time, I requested an early check-in and a room with High Speed Internet Connection (very important for me).
When I arrived at 9AM (after flying for 15 hours), there was no room available and the girl at Reception Desk didn't even try to help to find any : "Please come back at 1 PM when we'll have a room ready for you". Finally I checked in at 1:30'PM to the reserved room (no upgrade).
My real problem was with the High Speed Internet Access. From the time I checked in to 6 PM next day, I could't connect to the Internet. I talked with more than 12 different people from the Reception Desk to Maintenance. Even with the System Help Desk. Some people told me to reconfigure my computer (I always connected it in this and another hotels), some people told that they have to change the Cisco-modem box in the room, but there were no more boxes available.
Finally a "wizard" from the Desk informed that this is normal to happen and the only solution was to take another room !!!
So, they sent me to another room , BUT : THERE WAS NO INTERNET CONNECTION IN THAT ROOM !!! AT 6PM I got my room (no upgrades) and could connect to the Internet !!!!
I learned from this bad experience to trust my computer settings and not to trust in Westin's connections and their people.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
Wow, call me lucky but every time I have stayed at that hotel (10-15 times a year) they have taken good care of me. Always upgraded and the staff are getting better. Hey, this aint the Four Seasons. The St. Regis section at the hotel is also superb.

I may be the lone traveler who likes this hotel. At my request I justed booked 165 of my staff into this hotel for a week and all went well....

------------------
UA-GS/1K, (M-M)-AA/DL,
Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.