Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Difference between LUS and LAA] 2-Class A321

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Differences Between Two Class Airbus A321-200 Aircraft:
Legacy US Airways Airbus A321 (A321) and
Legacy American Airlines Airbus A321 "S" and "H" "32B" non-transcontinental

This is a basic guide to AA Airbus A321-200 / A321 aircraft. For specific seat and aircraft discussions, please follow links below to specific aircraft threads.

In AA schedules:
  • A321 = non-Sharklets equipped LUU A321-200s
  • "32B" = A321S Sharklets equipped A321-200
  • "32B" = A321H Sharklets equipped A321-200 with ETOPS modifications
  • "32B" is also used for the three class transcontinental A321-200
Note: IATA uses the "32B" designation to indicate any Airbus A321-200 equipped with "Sharklets" wing tip devices. AA uses "32B" as well, but in schedules fails to differentiate between the various A321-200 configurations in the fleet. The "A321H", "A321S" and "A321T" nomenclature is used on the aircraft safety cards and elsewhere.

Mostly from AAerSTL:

LAA "32B" (A321S and A321H) Link to FT LAA A321S thread
  • At most 18 months old (Jan 20-6)
  • Clean, modern, interisland
  • Sharklets
  • Ample seat pitch / leg room
  • WiFi (cellular based - even "H" ETOPS Hawai'i aircraft)
  • AVOD, AC & USB power at every seat
  • MCE / Main Cabin Extra
  • First Class forward galley better separated from cabin
  • FC closet to stow coats & F/A bags

LUS A321 Link to LUS A321 FT thread
  • Could be as old as 2001, but some are much newer
  • Less leg room
  • WiFi (cellular based)
  • NO power
  • NO entertainment
  • No MCE
  • Galley is in the cabin and not shielded
  • FC jackets stowed aft row 4 and May obstruct row 4 seats from full recline

Link to A321T transcon three class Airbus A321T / "32B" thread

Link to FT LAA A321H / ETOPS Hawai'i A321 aircraft thread

Link to A321T transcon First and Business thread

Link to A321T Main Cabin / Economy / MCE thread
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hello! I am flying from Dublin to LA next July and about to book my flights. I have a lot of options on routing and ideally need to stop over in the East Coast in order to maximize the points for my BA status.

I am travelling in international business/domestic first and I would ideally like to layover in PHL (and fly DUB-PHL on A330) - my concern is that the PHL-LAX leg would be on an ex-US A321 and I have heard bad things about this aircraft. Can anybody provide feedback as to whether this is significantly worse than an AA A321 2 class (which I have flown before from LAX-MIA and was very happy with).

Is it bad enough to warrant travelling DUB-JFK on the 757 and then JFK-LAX on A321 transcon in J?

Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: AS 100K
No power, no IFE, less legroom in F is the summary of the LUS 321. LAA 321 all brand new with great AVOD, all the bells and whistles in the seat. Only downside, IMO, is articulated recline.

I find the old NGBC seats on the 757 pretty comfortable for sleeping, though the 330 is also a good ride. I would personally opt for the connection in JFK because you'll get a tablet for IFE on the 757 over the pond and you'll get very good AVOD and significantly better meal service on JFK - LAX.

Last edited by flyingmusicianlax; Nov 13, 2015 at 8:20 am
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by heathrowflyer111
Is it bad enough to warrant travelling DUB-JFK on the 757 and then JFK-LAX on A321 transcon in J?
Definitely do this. The 757 seat is pretty decent for a daylight flight and is good in the relax/recline mode, it's just less than ideal compared with a flat-bed for sleeping.

With that said, it's definitely worth having a pair of decent seats across both flights as opposed to having a good seat on the TATL sector and a terrible seat on the transcon (which really isn't much shorter). In addition, service on the A321T aircraft out of JFK is considerably better than the standard domestic product that will be offered on US from PHL. Finally, the lounges in JFK are a considerable improvement over what is on offer in PHL.

The non-transcon A321s (US and AA) are both rather uncomfortable in my experience. Legroom is pretty bad, but especially on the US aircraft, recline is non-existent, and seat comfort leaves a lot to be desired. The full-flats on the A321T are far far preferable.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback - will definitely avoid the LUS A321 at all costs - sounds like a pretty awful way to cross the country.

You are making the 757 sound OK so maybe I will give it a try. There is also the possibility that I could fly DUB-LHR and then take a BA 747 LHR-JFK but that would mean I would need to get a hotel in Dublin for one night (because I am positioning from LHR). So it's just a case of deciding if the upper deck of a 747 is worth me paying for and spending an additional night in a hotel.

Thank you for your help and enabling me to at least eliminate the PHL (or CLT) options.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
The LUS 321 is a great bird, despite the shunning it often gets on this site. No AVOD, but wifi. Both the LUS and LAA planes will likely be very new.
With that said, if you get the opportunity to fly the 321t from JFK in a premium cabin, there really isn't a comparison with any other product.

I'd find it a fairly tough choice. The A330 in J will easily best the 757 in J, but the A321t in J/F will definitely beat the LUS 321 up front. Do you plan to sleep DUB-USA?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
DUB-JFK-LAX is your best option in terms of the J seat and service. The 757 J is the angled flat seat, but that's still much better than a standard domestic F seat (which you would have on PHL-LAX).

Another option is DUB-LHR-LAX, with LHR-LAX on the 77W. The 77W J seat is the same as the A330 J, and beat both 757 J and A321T J. You would be in a standard Y seat, with the middle blocked, on DUB-LHR but that's only a 1 hour flight. Make sure you allow enough time to connect in LHR.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by dml105
The LUS 321 is a great bird, despite the shunning it often gets on this site. No AVOD, but wifi. Both the LUS and LAA planes will likely be very new.
With that said, if you get the opportunity to fly the 321t from JFK in a premium cabin, there really isn't a comparison with any other product.

I'd find it a fairly tough choice. The A330 in J will easily best the 757 in J, but the A321t in J/F will definitely beat the LUS 321 up front. Do you plan to sleep DUB-USA?
The F seat is comfortable on the LUS 321, but there is very little leg room. At 5'3 this isn't much of an issue for me, but for anyone taller, their knees are going to be into the back of the seat in front of them just like in Y.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
I would personally opt for the connection in JFK because you'll get a tablet for IFE on the 757 over the pond and you'll get very good AVOD and significantly better meal service on JFK - LAX.
Just to clarify, the LAA 757's with NGBC have built-in seatback IFE, not tablets.

Agree with everything else though, DUB-JFK-LAX is the way to go. The NGBC 757 in J is perfectly comfortable for the short-ish daytime DUB-JFK flight, and the seat/service on the 321T in J on LAX-JFK will be vastly better than domestic F on PHL-LAX.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
I dunno, while I agree the DUB-JKF-LAX would be good simply due to to the JFK-LAX A321T service, I would much prefer DUB-LHR-LAX. The J seat on the 77W far outweighs any of the seats you'll get on other routings, and you'd actually be flying long enough to enjoy it. Connecting on the east coast USA means splitting the journey pretty much in half and settling for an inferior product on at least one of the long legs. DUB-LHR is hardly worth talking about as it's such a short hop, Euro J would be fine.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Just to clarify, the LAA 757's with NGBC have built-in seatback IFE, not tablets.

Agree with everything else though, DUB-JFK-LAX is the way to go. The NGBC 757 in J is perfectly comfortable for the short-ish daytime DUB-JFK flight, and the seat/service on the 321T in J on LAX-JFK will be vastly better than domestic F on PHL-LAX.
Thanks for all the information. I'm 6'4" so definitely ruling out he LUS A321. Also - just to clarify - I need to stop off on the East Coast in order to earn the 280 points I will need to attain BA Gold status (Flying DUB-LHR-LAX will only get me 180) otherwise I would fly the 77W without hesitation. (I will be flying the 77W on the way back though because by then I will be gold and won't be concerned about the points!)

I think I will do the DUB-JFK and JFK-LAX because I won't sleep on the transatlantic leg and then can get a couple of hours on the transcon. I'm assuming that the food/drink offerings on the 757 in business class will be decent enough (i.e. compared to on other AA international business class flights).

Thanks for the feedback. I am ready to pull the trigger tomorrow.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm assuming that the food/drink offerings on the 757 in business class will be decent enough (i.e. compared to on other AA international business class flights).
Yup, the food/drink on the 757 in J will be the same as the 333, 77W, etc.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Why wouldn't you just fly DUB-LHR-LAX? You could enjoy the same international business seat for the bulk of your flight.

This makes even more sense on the return, when you can get a decent sleep on that long leg.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
LAA:
At most 18 months old
Clean, modern, interior
Sharklets
AVOD, AC & USB power at every seat
MCE
FC FWD galley better separated from cabin
FC closet to stow coats & F/A bags

LUS
Could be as old as 2001, but some are much newer
NO power
NO entertainment
No MCE
Galley is in the cabin and not shielded
FC jackets stowed aft row 4 and obstruct row 4 seats
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
Why wouldn't you just fly DUB-LHR-LAX? You could enjoy the same international business seat for the bulk of your flight.

This makes even more sense on the return, when you can get a decent sleep on that long leg.
Also - just to clarify - I need to stop off on the East Coast in order to earn the 280 points I will need to attain BA Gold status (Flying DUB-LHR-LAX will only get me 180) otherwise I would fly the 77W without hesitation. (I will be flying the 77W on the way back though because by then I will be gold and won't be concerned about the points!)
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Booked! Following the very useful advice I'm doing DUB-JFK on 757 then JFK-LAX on A321T in J. There is no way I will sleep on the transatlantic flight so lack of flat bed is not a huge deal.

Coming home LHR-LAX-DUB on 77W (looking forward to trying the business seat here - could have done BA but want to try the AA77W business product and am willing to sacrifice the TBIT Oneworld first lounge to try it!).

Actually in March I'm doing JFK-LAX in A321 F so it will be nice to compare the F experience with J on that aircraft. Both look fantastic and I have heard very good things about them.

Thanks again for the advice and info. I was seriously considering the LUSA321 and am very glad that I have been steered clear of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.