Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy Milan Malpensa Airport, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moxy Milan Malpensa Airport, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by fanostra
Disregard - I think I found my answer from the Moxy captain elsewhere.

I will be staying at the Moxy Malpensa Sunday evening for a Monday AM flight. Does anyone know if it is possible to leave one's luggage at the hotel (front desk, bellman, concierge, etc) prior to room being available/check in? I will be coming from Como and wish to drop off my bag before heading into Milan for the day.

I would expect so (as it is fairly standard practice), however somewhere I read something about this not being possible at the Moxy. Any insight (or email address of the hotel manager) is appreciated!
So....what was the answer?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Titanium
I am inclined to believe that leaving a bag for a few hours prior to check-in should be no problem, as one would expect, as evidenced by another website. That said, a review on Marriott's Moxy Milan website claims otherwise. I'll report back after my stay.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: I've lost count
Convenient, modern accommodations at the MOXY

MOXY Milan Malpensa Airport

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Milan Malpensa Airport, Terminal 2 Somma Lombardo, IT 21010

Convenient, modern accommodations at the MOXY (0 Photo)

We stayed for one night in September using just 7,500 Marriott Rewards points. The hotel is a very short walk across the street from MXP Terminal 2 (Schengen terminal). The decor is modern and the lobby has several areas for chilling outside of the room, one of which includes a rickety but fun foosball table.

Check In

Check-in was efficient. I had actually checked in via the Marriott appprior to our arrival, but I didn't realize that meant we could bypass the line and pick up our room keycards. After the initial confusion, the check-in agent squared us away and advised us that hot meatballs would be available for purchase at 17:00.

Room

The wifi worked well in the room. The water pressure was good and the water temperature was consistent. I loved the comfy chair next to the bed; I want a couple of those in my home. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet, despite the hotel's proximity to the airport. I really liked the LED accent lighting in the bedroom and bathroom, which is unobtrusive and can be kept on while sleeping or turned off for complete darkness. My favorite thing of all is something every hotel should adopt: motion-sensor lighting under the bed. When you get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, a soft light temporarily glows under the bed so you don't stumble around and stub your toes on your luggage.

Dining

The bar in the lobby offers a variety of coffee and alcohol beverages. The wine was good, but my morning cappuccino tasted burnt. Several packaged food items are available 24/7, and delicious hot meatballs were made available for purchase at 17:00. We snacked on those, but since there were no real restaurants within a short walking distance, we took a cab later to have a proper dinner at a local eatery (Samarcanda Ristorante Pizzeria).

Overall

I would stay here again if I had a morning flight out of MXP.

Convenient, modern accommodations at the MOXY

Would you like to write a review on the MOXY Milan Malpensa Airport?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by fmkgb

Staying here now. No recognition as a platinum member other than 250 points ( no choice of points or a food item). There are two types of rooms however no upgrade to premiere room as a platinum member. They did have premiere rooms to sell me for €30 but even upon request would not give me a complementary upgrade to a premium room even as a platinum member. . Room is extremely bare and basic. On the plus side the window does open a few inches and there is a large TV with my two favorite stations CNBC and Bloomberg. There is a plug on one side of the bed however if there are two persons in the room the other side of the bed does not have electrical plug access. Really? Internet speed is ok but not great. There is no telephone in the room so if there is a question or a problem you either need to go downstairs and ask at the front desk or telephone the front desk from your own cellphone which is not always an economical option for non-Italians. Bad form.

I have stayed at many ibises worldwide -- in fact I like them very much particularly if I am traveling alone and not in need of a frills hotel. Many people compare the Moxy to the Ibis however in the ibises that I have stayed most have a refrigerator and a teapot where as this hotel room has neither. Ibis styles also includes to all free breakfast and this does not -- even to platinum members. Room is extremely basic and does not even have a pad and pen.

With my corporate discount at the Sheraton terminal 1, I would be paying about €20 more for the Sheraton (with lounge access) and will definitely stay at the Sheraton in the future particularly if I am traveling with someone else. This room is not adequate for 2 people. Very disappointed.

There is food to buy downstairs but prices seem hight for prepackaged food (9. 50 e microwaveable veggie lasagna ). There are several microwaves so if u are on a budget u may want to buy a pasta box or other microwavable meal elsewhere and hopefully hotel will allow u to use The microwave. Although honestly, in my experience, the answer from the front desk to every question I asked was a big NO.

Why does it seem that every time Marriott opens a new chain (AC) they downgrade/ eliminate elite incentives/benefits to stay there???
PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW REGARDING PAYMENT.

Stayed here last February 2015 and had a very disappointing experience. Had an early flight from MXP Tuesday and thought I'd give Moxy another shot--not hard to convince myself at 38e/night. So GLAD that I did. This was a totally different experience.

Stephan checked me in. I wasn't even going to ask for a Platinum upgrade because of my prior experience (last year they told me upgraded rooms were available but only if I paid 30e additional). This year, without my prompting Stephan thanked me for being a Platinum member and offered me an upgraded 1 bedroom suite. Great! Then he asked if I needed a late checkout -- and as my early departure flight had just been delayed until 5:55 PM I asked how late I could have and he said 4 PM. Great again! I mentioned that I had read that the hotel TVs had Apple TV installed and asked how to set it up--he offered to come up and show me. Wow! Perfect check in experience.

One bedroom suite is very nice and twice as spacious as the standard rooms. If you are traveling with another person and the price to upgrade is reasonable I would suggest it as the regular rooms are quite small for 2 people. Room had a standard bedroom with a large TV + a slightly larger living room (plus a second huge TV) with a full size sofa bed. My large bathroom was handicap enabled; not sure if all the suite bathrooms are.

Room had a safe and suite had very large closet area. Suggestions: bathroom had one very small wastebasket. I suggest larger wastebasket and more than 1. Most guests probably are flying out and I for one tend to clean out my suitcase and throw out a lot of newspapers, etc before I fly. Also there was an electrical plug only on one side of the bed--should be one on each side of the bed. A refrigerator would be great but I didn't expect one in this bare-bones type of hotel.

TVs were huge and had built in Apple TV plus english stations including CNBC, Bloomberg and CNN. Wifi speed was good.

As others have mentioned there is food to buy downstairs. Sandwiches around 7e, LOTS of different beers and wine to buy and I assume either bring to a table or take upstairs to your room. Beers around 6e. Saw full bottles of wine for 22e. Also a full serviced bar. Four microwaves so you can bring your own food and just heat it up.

Three large rooms in the lobby area to commune with your fellow guests, work, hang out, or eat. (Similar to a W hotel lobby area)

Easy 15 minute transit to terminal 1 via free bus from Terminal 2 (a 5 minute walk from the hotel). Highly recommend this hotel now, particularly if you can snag a good price.

UPDATE: When I checked out I received an invoice with amount in Euros. Upon receiving my credit card bill I see that the hotel charged me in US Dollars. This hotel apparently plays the Dynamic Currency Conversion game and charged me in US Dollars rather than Euros. Obviously I was not aware they would do this as I would have declined their "offer" to pay in USD. BEWARE,,, and shame on them.

Last edited by fmkgb; Feb 3, 2016 at 9:57 am
Old May 6, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Just offering my review:

I stayed at the Moxy by Malpensa in April, completely out of necessity. It was Design Week in Milan and I hadn't booked anything early enough. For around 12,000 points per night or 62 euros, Moxy was a steal compared to the 500 euro per night rates in central Milan.

While the hotel itself is very stylish, and the rooms and bathrooms are as described in previous posts, think of this hotel is a sleeker-looking Ibis budget with a better bed and room size. I stayed in two different rooms and the WIFI internet did not work in either room, which was extremely disappointing. But I did spend time camping out in the comfy chairs in the lobby while using the internet; which was a more comfortable experience than one might think. Also, I agree that the grab and go food is over-priced. Being stuck near Malpensa with no other options for food or beverage, you are stuck with what they offer for your time there.

In terms of logistics and sight-seeing, being at the Moxy actually worked out better than I had hoped. I would walk across the road, and take a bus into Milan for 8 euros one-way. This bus drops you off at Centrale station, and they run every 20 minutes until 1am (maybe 2am). Getting back to Centrale, and back on the bus after a day and evening of hanging out in Milan, was no problem and worked out really well. So if you're doing Milan on a budget and are thinking about Moxy because of the low number of points required for a stay, then it can definitely work to your advantage. If you're big on nightlife and exploring the bar scene, then the buss schedule back to Malpensa may hamper you...unless you wait for it to start back up in the morning.
Old May 6, 2016, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
FYI: MXP T2 is closed temporarily. The wait for the shuttle to T1 is a bit longer now, maybe 20 minutes?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Has anyone stayed here recently?

Due to a recent flight schedule change I will end up having a rather long overnight layover at MXP (around 14 hours). Was thinking of booking this property for the night.

Do they run a shuttle from the Airport? If not then what's the best way to get to the property?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:50 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
The hotel is just in front of Terminal 2, which remains closed. There is a free shuttle (operated by the airport itself) from the T1 train station to T2 that drops you off practically in front of the Moxy. It runs every 20 mins round the clock (a bit less often between 0.00 and 4.00).

Stayed there several times over the past two years, never had a bad experience. The rooms are quite big for a Moxy and they are good with upgrades when occupancy permits.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by gojko88
The hotel is just in front of Terminal 2, which remains closed. There is a free shuttle (operated by the airport itself) from the T1 train station to T2 that drops you off practically in front of the Moxy. It runs every 20 mins round the clock (a bit less often between 0.00 and 4.00).

Stayed there several times over the past two years, never had a bad experience. The rooms are quite big for a Moxy and they are good with upgrades when occupancy permits.
Thanks for the update. Just went ahead booked a room for €89. Well worth it to get a good night's sleep as opposed to hanging out at the airport/lounge all night.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:41 am

You did well IMO. The lounges all close overnight anyway, and the terminal is not a particularly inviting place in the early morning. Plus the Moxy actually has decent wine & dinner options
Old Jan 5, 2024, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I plan to stay here for a night next week before my morning MXP departure. Are they still running shuttles from T1 to T2? I'm curious why they even bother with that if T2 is closed?!

Thanks,
-RM
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I plan to stay here for a night next week before my morning MXP departure. Are they still running shuttles from T1 to T2? I'm curious why they even bother with that if T2 is closed?!
T2 has been open since last spring, and you can just take the Malpensa Express train from T1 to T2 and vice versa, no need for the shuttle.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Originally Posted by gojko88
T2 has been open since last spring, and you can just take the Malpensa Express train from T1 to T2 and vice versa, no need for the shuttle.
Does the shuttle still run 24 hours? I am due to stay in March, but land early morning (just after midnight) so doubt the train will be running when I arrive. Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 1:14 am

The shuttle does still run 24 hours, between midnight and 4 am it should be at 20-minute intervals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.