Fuel Surcharges on EK Reward Tickets

Subscribe
Quote: As an observation: I searched for SYD-DXB and got 180AED for taxes and fees, the other way around comes in at 274AUD. Could it be they've implemented the fuel surcharge ex-AU itineraries already?
Yes, they introduced these a month ago.

http://www.traveldaily.com.au/news/t...rcharges/90879
Quote: Yes, they introduced these a month ago.

http://www.traveldaily.com.au/news/t...rcharges/90879
That doesn't make any sense, the fuel surcharges that I saw do not align with any of the ones mentioned on that page and are for paid tickets not awards.
Quote: That doesn't make any sense, the fuel surcharges that I saw do not align with any of the ones mentioned on that page and are for paid tickets not awards.
There have been fuel fines ex AU for a while. That web page linked to is quite old - That "breaking news" broke in Feb 12

Looking at paid one way SYD-DXB in business or 1st class there is a $200 fuel surcharge plus taxes of $81. In economy the surcharge is $60

for a r/t ticket there is a surcharge each way

Originating in DXB, there is no surcharge for DXB-SYD either one way or return
New fuel surcharges
Just logged in To Emirates. Tried BHX-DXB-SGN return economy. Result £85.40 or 11,831 miles extra for a reward saver ticket. Checked non-reward flights and no increase in price at all!!!!!
What a rip and a slap in the face for FFs.
Is anyone able to access an Upgrade Reward to check if the YQ is being added to these?

It seems to me that Upgrade Rewards have disappeared from the website for now (along with some flight options) so I suppose it takes a while to get everything aligned.
I have checked and VIE-DXB upgrade is still 25k miles on my flex ticket and 0 Taxes & Fees.
Quote: Is anyone able to access an Upgrade Reward to check if the YQ is being added to these?

It seems to me that Upgrade Rewards have disappeared from the website for now (along with some flight options) so I suppose it takes a while to get everything aligned.
Same problem was going to upgrade DXB-SIN, SIN-MEL (Y flex ticket) yesterday, but when I went back online last night they were upgrading the Emirates site. Tried today and both upgrades have now disappeared.
I've also checked upgrades for my incoming flights and it still can be upgraded without additional fee.
Good to finally get the confo that upgrades were spared the fuel surcharge. I personally think that reward tickets aren't that much of a value as using miles for upgrades is.
Just ran a quick check.

JFK-DXB return in Y is $160 in fuel surcharge. JFK-DXB outbound F, inbound J, is $460 in fuel surcharge.
The new Emirates "carrier imposed charges" (~$600) on a reward ticket from ACC-BOM-ACC is just a few dollars lower than the total price of an Egyptair ticket on that route.
Included in that email about fuel surcharges on redemptions, I was advised that to align with Qantass they are increasing the mileage accumulation for flights to/from Aust. but also increasing the number of miles needed for reward redemptions, and that you should use your miles before 1 July. Well I have quite a number of miles accumulated but I have no travel plans before 1 July, and so my miles are going to be effectively devalued by, in my estimate, 30%. Thanks very much Emirates. Another kick in the face to a loyal frequent flyer.
Quote: Included in that email about fuel surcharges on redemptions, I was advised that to align with Qantass they are increasing the mileage accumulation for flights to/from Aust. but also increasing the number of miles needed for reward redemptions, and that you should use your miles before 1 July. Well I have quite a number of miles accumulated but I have no travel plans before 1 July, and so my miles are going to be effectively devalued by, in my estimate, 30%. Thanks very much Emirates. Another kick in the face to a loyal frequent flyer.
Are you using points for travel originating in Australia? If not, then you are not affected

For travel originating in Australia, points earning is at the new rates as are redemptions. For travel originating elsewhere, then the current earning/redemption rates apply

If you do need to use miles for travel originating in Australia, then indeed, there is a loss

e.g. fly DXB-SYD-DXB , the old rates apply whereas SYD-DXB-SYD, the new ones apply

If you can plan travel such that paid travel originates in Australia, but redemptions originate elsewhere, you can come out ahead
Quote: Are you using points for travel originating in Australia? If not, then you are not affected.....................(repetition deleted)
If you can plan travel such that paid travel originates in Australia, but redemptions originate elsewhere, you can come out ahead
BRILLIANT! Thanks for the tip. I hope that they do not read this hehe!
Is it just me or when you try to book a rewards flight it defaults to showing you the miles cost to cover the carrier imposed charges and no amount of clicking on the option to pay these charges with cash changes anything?