FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Surcharges on EK Reward Tickets
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:37 pm
Dave Noble
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by soloman1
Included in that email about fuel surcharges on redemptions, I was advised that to align with Qantass they are increasing the mileage accumulation for flights to/from Aust. but also increasing the number of miles needed for reward redemptions, and that you should use your miles before 1 July. Well I have quite a number of miles accumulated but I have no travel plans before 1 July, and so my miles are going to be effectively devalued by, in my estimate, 30%. Thanks very much Emirates. Another kick in the face to a loyal frequent flyer.
Are you using points for travel originating in Australia? If not, then you are not affected

For travel originating in Australia, points earning is at the new rates as are redemptions. For travel originating elsewhere, then the current earning/redemption rates apply

If you do need to use miles for travel originating in Australia, then indeed, there is a loss

e.g. fly DXB-SYD-DXB , the old rates apply whereas SYD-DXB-SYD, the new ones apply

If you can plan travel such that paid travel originates in Australia, but redemptions originate elsewhere, you can come out ahead