Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Fuel Surcharges on EK Reward Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel Surcharges on EK Reward Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by mrtdxb
Is it just me or when you try to book a rewards flight it defaults to showing you the miles cost to cover the carrier imposed charges and no amount of clicking on the option to pay these charges with cash changes anything?
It's just you.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
It's just you.
Thanks - maybe Google Chrome is the issue - will try IE.

Just tried with IE and all good so it is indeed a Google Chrome issue - shame as Chrome is so much more stable than IE for me.

Last edited by mrtdxb; Apr 4, 2013 at 2:59 am Reason: Checked IE and updated post
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Is it just me being forgetful, or has there recently been a substantial increase to fuel surcharges on award bookings on certain routes?

I am sure last time I checked (about a month ago) on SIN-MEL return in Y (saver award), around $100 USD was levied in fuel surcharges, Today I see that fuel surcharge is now $300 USD.

Also, out of curiosity, I checked SIN-DXB return in Y: $300USD in fuel surcharges This contrasts to KUL-DXB, return in Y ... only $90 USD in fuel surcharges, which is about what it used to be ex-SIN for both DXB and MEL routes.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Although I don't have any figures to back it up my feeling is that fuel prices have been dropping since EK introduced "fuel surcharges" - they seem purely to be an obfuscatory way to increase prices ...
Old Jun 1, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
I also have a feeling that the fuel surcharges are based on particular routes, not distance. LHR-DXB-LHR in J has taxes of £400+ on award tickets (due to the ADP and high EK fuel surcharge), which is pretty ridiculous!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
I also have a feeling that the fuel surcharges are based on particular routes, not distance. LHR-DXB-LHR in J has taxes of £400+ on award tickets (due to the ADP and high EK fuel surcharge), which is pretty ridiculous!
Given that £200 of that is APD, £200 in fuel surcharges is reasonably consistent with similar length flights in J on EK. On that route (which is similar in length to SIN-MEL/DXB), return fuel surcharges in Y are only £60.

FWIW, MEL-SIN-MEL fuel surcharges only amount to $60USD and DXB-SIN-DXB amount to $100 USD (vs SIN-MEL/DXB-SIN, $300 USD). A glitch or they just punishing those of us based in SIN?

Also, just noticed: SIN-MEL-SIN fuel surcharges [using Skywards miles on EK flights] match to the cent those imposed by Qantas, using QFF points on QF points. A sign of things to come?

Last edited by lokijuh; Jun 2, 2013 at 12:16 am Reason: just noticed match with QFF
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Given that £200 of that is APD, £200 in fuel surcharges is reasonably consistent with similar length flights in J on EK. On that route (which is similar in length to SIN-MEL/DXB), return fuel surcharges in Y are only £60.

FWIW, MEL-SIN-MEL fuel surcharges only amount to $60USD and DXB-SIN-DXB amount to $100 USD (vs SIN-MEL/DXB-SIN, $300 USD). A glitch or they just punishing those of us based in SIN?
No, the APD is only £134 and there are some other taxes too. Still, the fuel surcharges make up the bulk of the price. I do think the SIN amount is an error though - it makes no sense.

Nevertheless, I find this new fuel surcharge on EK sickening, because they were already uncompetitive in terms of redemption prices and are now some of the most expensive awards in terms of surcharges too!
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On paid tickets there is no fuel surcharge on LHR-DXB-LHR, just GBP189.40 (of which GBP134 is the APD), so this is purely on awards

Nevertheless, I find this new fuel surcharge on EK sickening, because they were already uncompetitive in terms of redemption prices and are now some of the most expensive awards in terms of surcharges too!
Seems to be one of those great benefits that is being offered thanks to the Alliance with Qantas; QF doing well at bringing EK down to its level
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:27 am

No, the APD is only £134 and there are some other taxes too.
Sorry I mean APD + other taxes being around £200 (189 actually), basically the non-carrier imposed surcharges.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
On paid tickets there is no fuel surcharge on LHR-DXB-LHR, just GBP189.40 (of which GBP134 is the APD), so this is purely on awards
Yes, but this is the sad problem. The taxes for a return J award are now the same price as a return Y flight! It almost makes more sense to book a cheap Y ticket and just upgrade the flights. That way, you will save 25,000 miles (assuming its an upgrade from a Saver fare) and only have to pay £67 more APD.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:39 am

Yes, but this is the sad problem. The taxes for a return J award are now the same price as a return Y flight! It almost makes more sense to book a cheap Y ticket and just upgrade the flights. That way, you will save 25,000 miles (assuming its an upgrade from a Saver fare) and only have to pay £67 more APD.
GBP251 plus 90k miles plus taxes vs
GBP515 plus 65k taxes plus miles

Extra GBP264 to save 25k miles is borderline value
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
GBP251 plus 90k miles plus taxes vs
GBP515 plus 65k taxes plus miles

Extra GBP264 to save 25k miles is borderline value
Try £410 for a Return in Y (in Nov 2013) plus £67 extra APD (for upgrade) for a total of £477 and 65,000 miles

Compared to: £440 in taxes plus 90,000 miles.

£33 for a saving of 25,000 miles (plus the additional miles earned on the LHR-DXB-LHR flights) looks pretty good to me! Haha
Old Jun 2, 2013, 1:16 am

Try £410 for a Return in Y (in Nov 2013) plus £67 extra APD (for upgrade) for a total of £477 and 65,000 miles

Compared to: £440 in taxes plus 90,000 miles.

£33 for a saving of 25,000 miles (plus the additional miles earned on the LHR-DXB-LHR flights) looks pretty good to me! Haha
In winter seems a no brainer
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: skywards Gold, Krisflyer
see my next post.

Last edited by philduck; Jun 14, 2013 at 10:41 am Reason: didn't post
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: skywards Gold, Krisflyer
BHX-KUL returrn reward economy saver October 2013. Carrier imposed fuel charge is now showing as £200 +75000 + £120 tax. Two weeks ago the carrier imposed fuel charge was showing as about £80 +75000 + £120 tax for the same flights. Is this an error or has the fuel surcharge more than doubled in a week?
In 2011 I travelled with Malaysia Airlines with a 'saver' type ticket in economy, on more or less the same dates, for less than £300 in total!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.