Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cambridge REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2002, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

We stayed at the Cambridge Hyatt last weekend and I wanted to post some information about the hotel and its staff.

Overall our stay was very nice. We were upgraded based on my recently obtained diamond status to the regency club floor and we were given our choice of amenities that arrived right on time (Beer, Chips and salsa). The regency club was closed and we received breakfast vouchers and free local phone calls during our stay. This was above and beyond our expectations given that we were staying on a Priceline reservation. I just noticed that stay credit and points were added to my account as well.

The room was great. We had a large room with a king size bed, which overlooked the Charles River and also had a balcony that overlooked the indoor atrium. The condition of the room was good and the bathroom, while a little small had nice fixtures and was clean with lots of towels and the usual stuff.

The room was separated from the bathroom by a wall/closet, which had an electronic safe and extra blankets and pillows. Overall I give the room an A.

The staff were very friendly, efficient and kind. Finding and keeping good people is hard to do in a service business and this Hyatt has done a good job on this account.

I did have several small complaints. First, the Regency Club was closed which I understand but it lessens the overall service for those that have access to it. We also found the shuttle to be operational at odd times, which never seemed to jibe with our schedule. The location is a bit of an issue since the nearest T stop is about ½ mile away and since we are cheap, we found ourselves walking quite a bit. Finally, the buffet was decent but nothing special. The free vouchers, however, were good for anything off the menu, so no big deal.

Overall a nice hotel and I will certainly go back next year when we pay another visit to Beantown.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA1MM1K
Question about Hyatt Cambridge

Hi,

how far is Hyatt Cambrigde from Logan Airport? I will be arriving BOS at 22:30 and am wondering if it is possible to take a public transportation. If not, how much is a cab ride to the hotel? Expedia says $36 and up, but could it be so expensive for a 11 minutes cab ride? Any info appreciated. Thank you!

And, Happy new year!!
Old Jan 2, 2004, 2:44 pm

Any subway ride from the airport would involve a bus ride from the terminal to the station, a ride on one train, and then changing to at least one other line. It is really not worth it. Between the toll and airport surcharges I think you are over $6 before the taxi even moves, but the total fare to the Hyatt with a tip should be in the $20-$30 range, and just take 15 minutes or so. You'll be riding the rails for a good 45+ minutes at that hour to get close to the Hyatt.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 5:03 pm
MGR

Programs: CO Gold, AA PLT, HYATT PLT
I actually live in Cambridge. It would take under 15 minutes to get there in a cab. I would not recommend the T unless you really want to save yourself the money. You would have to take the bus from Terminal B to the T, then the Blue Line to the Green Line to the Red line (so 3 subways--way too many changes and there are no easily available elevators--that i have ever seen anyway--within the subway system here).

It would take you 45 minutes easily on the T so save yourself the headache and take a taxi. It costs me around 25 USD with tip from the airport to my home in Cambridge.

Good luck.

P.S. The area around the Hyatt should be safe but much less frequented than the rest of Cambridge. If you get a room facing the Charles River, though, the stay is worth it.
Old Jan 3, 2004, 9:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

OK...here's a question. The cabbies know I'm an "out of towner" and always want to ask, "which way do you want me to go" (translation: let's see how much I can rip you off).

What EXACTLY should I say to a cabbie who I'm asking to take me to this Hyatt who wants me to tell him which way to go?
Old Jan 3, 2004, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shinbal:
OK...here's a question. The cabbies know I'm an "out of towner" and always want to ask, "which way do you want me to go" (translation: let's see how much I can rip you off).

What EXACTLY should I say to a cabbie who I'm asking to take me to this Hyatt who wants me to tell him which way to go?
</font>
Tell him to take the old tunnel (Sumner), get on Storrow Drive, and get off at the Kendall Square exit. Have him take Mem Drive West until the Hyatt. Say "Mem Drive", and not "Memorial Drive". Otherwise, he might realize you are an out-of-towner and take you for a ride.

Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:28 pm

It was just OK for me...the lounge wasn't open for me. I rec'd breakfast coupons for 1 item (pastry, bagel, etc) and 1 drink. Not very valuable to me. It was winter when I was there, so I didn't get to enjoy the free bike rentals. Also, they have a shuttle that takes you to & from downtown, which is nice. Parking is maybe $15 (??) a day, and it was very difficult to find any free parking.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:29 pm

I stayed there a few times, and found it an average, nondescript quasi-suburban property. Pretty good, nothing special. Note that unlike many/most hotels in Cambridge, it's not in a walkable location. If you want walkable, you'd be better off at (for example) the Hilton at MIT.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
This is a nice, modern hotel. Views are pleasant, and the service is generally good.

Two concerns, one of which is rather important if you do not have a rental car.

1) The Regency Club (lounge) has been closed for months. FWIW, the downtown Hyatt has no Regency Club either.

2) The location is remote, to say the least. This is one of the most remote places in central Boston/ Cambridge. You are quite distant from public transportation, and Boston is a city where relatively few people drive. If you use taxis, you will be OK. And there is a complimentary shuttle, but it has some drawbacks:

The shuttle does not adhere to a schedule, and this has clearly gotten them in trouble before, because when you ask about the next departure, the concierge (who manages the shuttle "reservation" list) will reply reluctantly (although you will be warned to be prompt at the door). Basically, it's hurry up and wait. In my experience, the shuttles depart about ten minutes after the advertised time.

Additionally, the shuttle does not have a fixed route. You need to call in advance to get the shuttle to go to a specific location (they have a short list of destinations served, but, again, the shuttle will not necessarily go to all of those destinations, unless previously "reserved.") Finally, awaiting a shuttle pickup is a slow process. I have waited up to 40 minutes after phoning for the shuttle to arrive at the T.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 2:43 pm

Local Transportation

FWIW, you can walk across the BU bridge and grab the T green line at BU and get almost anywhere. The walk is OK if the weather isn't foul.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
some rooms have a outdoor patio, while a few have inside patios that face the atrium. the room i stayed in had a patio almost as big as the room. i wish they had chopped the patio in two and made more space for the inside, because the room is just big enough for two beds.

on an interesting note, the closet door doubles as a partition separating the bathroom and closet from the hallway which i found to be nifty and surprisingly useful
Old Jun 18, 2004, 2:38 pm

Running along the Charles

If you are into running, the locals run "bridge circuits" along the Charles River: run along the river, cross a bridge, run back along the other side, cross another bridge, and return. Given the number of bridges, there are many possibilities ranging from 2 to 18 miles.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 2:01 pm

The hotel actually has a fairly decent, large workout facility. It does sell outside membership, so it can get crowded and peak times.

http://cambridge.hyatt.com/property/...se/index.jhtml
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:47 pm

Stayed there a few months back. Would agree with earlier poster re: location - not especially convenient for walkers. But a decent property nonetheless - they had a shuttle which was very reliable.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by travelg33k
Does anyone know how good the excercise facilities are?
I stayed at the hotel for a week about three years ago, and agree with what others have said. It is remote, but on a nice location on the river, with views across to Boston. I did walk from Harvard, from way past MIT, and to and back from downtown Boston (in the winter). The walk walk along the river was a really nice, particularly to/from downtown and MIT.

There is an excellent health club facility across a short covered walkway. My recollection was that there was no fee for hotel guests.

Having said all this, I'd be reluctant to stay at this hotel again. My last couple of trips to Boston worked out much better staying at the Marriott and the Westin Copley. Too bad there's not Hyatt there too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.