Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "VDB on United; Rules, Compensation, Etc." Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2003, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Ok folks; consider this a gift to all FT'ers.

At a point in the past 2-3 weeks, I obtained a copy of the complete rules for VDB’s printed out from a UA printer. This was not done from an angel of any sort, just a random UA employee at a random airport (not my usuall for any stalkers out there) that I walked up to with a question regarding various items (I'm being very vague on purpose in case you can’t tell). I have scrubbed out all incriminating evidence (employee ID, time, date, etc..., and a few select FT’ers proofread that info prior to me scrubbing it as well as verified authenticity). Anyways, on to the content... the big kicker here is the $$$ vouchers instead of free tickets. I've had quite a bit of success in this arena since getting this document. Although I've never had to show it, I instead simply offer the agents that after they are done boarding I will walk them through how to give out $$$ vouchers instead of free tickets. Which is basically as simple as telling them when the screen shows them compensation options (it presents A) Free Ticket B) other) to choose other, and then select the appropriate amount. It does REQUIRE supervisor status to do this, which based on my experience doesn’t seem to be too hard to obtain.

There was one case where agents flat out said “No, not in Ch11", and a few "Sorry, I can't do vouchers" and I've not pushed it, knowing that I'll get bumped again on another flight in just a few days (my flights are always oversold, as they are overstuffed UAX flights that were once mainline UA).

The scanned text is located at:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...UAL/DENIED-VDB and then click on Rules. If someone can OCR this, that would be great, much more usefull than large files.

Anyways...hope this helps.

Last edited by mymiles2go; Jan 14, 2010 at 5:45 am Reason: Updated scanned text location
Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Nice work!

Be great if a techno whizz can OCR this so it can be cut and pasted and printed.

The "one hour rule" and getting $100 voucher even though UA agree they do not have to spring for it is worth ALL here noting carefully.

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!
Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:28 pm

The VDB document is proprietary to UAL, and I don't think you have any business posting a link to the VDB on this forum -- you should pull the link and associated info from this forum.

[This message has been edited by seajac03 (edited 04-10-2003).]
Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by seajac03:
The VDB document is proprietary to UAL, and I don't think you have any business posting a link to the VDB on this forum -- you should pull the link and associated info from this forum.

[This message has been edited by seajac03 (edited 04-10-2003).]
</font>
Oh, give me a break. It wasn't stolen. It's not some proprietary trade secret. It's an interpretation of the conditions of carriage. UA should post it on its web site.

They don't post it because they don't want passengers to know their rights.

Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:01 pm

If I'm not mistaken it is the right of any passenger to ask for the VDB rules including compensation. "At any airport counter". At least that's what it says on my IATA paper ticket jacket.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PW1P:
If I'm not mistaken it is the right of any passenger to ask for the VDB rules including compensation. "At any airport counter". At least that's what it says on my IATA paper ticket jacket.</font>
OK, then post the VDB rules, including compensation, if properly obtained. DON'T post a confidential UAL document and details with respect to manipulating the UAL computer to obtain a voucher.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mymiles2go:
The scanned text is located at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/mymiles2go and then click on Rules....
</font>
I get a page not found error....

Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:

</font>
Revenge...UAL hacked the link!
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:

</font>
I'm not sure why. I'm having general problems with Yahoo Photos page. I have a feeling thier site is having problems.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not see there is a problem with sharing this. This is not like sharing internal info on say wages or contract discussions etc. Or market sensitive material re fares, or inventory control, or loads or planned new routes etc, etc.

These are rules that clearly outline what we the flyers are entitled to in some instances. I have seen dozens of Apollo codes/rules/summaries posted here in the past, covering exact wording on 24 hour 'stopover' rules for SWU etc, and other such basic stuff. And in general folks here approve of them being posted. And many benefit by knowing WHAT those rules are.

I saw this data in advance a few weeks ago and personally thought the info was useful for all others to know. The website was fine back then for (slowly!) reading it.

mymiles2go did not steal this or hack into Apollo to obtain it. Had he done so I would hold a different view. It was given him as a hard copy from the tractor fed printer by a UA agent he did not even know. There are many here on this Forum who have access to Apollo, so do not see the issue.

Any of us could PHONE UA and ask the specific detail of this, and ask the unfortunate agent to read the rules - and probably have that acceded to. Why not? If there are clear rules you are entitled to ask about them.

Thank you for sharing mymiles2go.

================================================== =

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 04-11-2003).]
Old Apr 11, 2003, 9:43 am

Thanks for posting this - its definitely educational. I would have loved to have a copy of those on hand last month when I was bumped (overnight - 16+hrs) and only got a $300.00 voucher. Hmm... Does anyone think I'd have any luck contacting CS on this?

Incidently, I was bumped on an itinerary ex-Canada, flashed my Canadian passport, and told them that a free ticket was useless to me; issuing credits was not a problem at all.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 10:36 am

Ok, I've OCR'd the files, now what do I do with them?

Are they "postable" without violating the board rules?

Moderator2, cblaisd, squeakr, zrs70 want to rule on the question?

[This message has been edited by DIAFlyer (edited 04-11-2003).]
Old Apr 11, 2003, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like they have been "posted" for the past 12 hours via the weblinks without incident, so I for one would appreciate seeing them in an easier to read format.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 11:30 am

Thanks for the info

I would be surprised if this info is considered 'confidential'. Plus, if UA tried to remove this info it would show that they want their customers to be in the dark about delays, denied boarding, etc., which CONFLICTS with the UA customer commitment.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 12:54 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Thank you mymiles2go! This is exceptionally helpful information!!!

DIAflyer, I hope you will post, as I see absolutely no violation to posting this information.

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.