Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Yankee Stadium (2009) - tickets, features, surrounding area (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

I am lucky enough to get to escape to NYC for a week in late May and while not a Yankees fan wouldn't mind catching a game for the fun of it. I checked online last night and found there is a 31st May home game vs. Baltimore but at the Yankees site no tickets were on sale so priced some seats at Stub Hub which I used last year for a Cubs game at Wrigley. Should I wait for the club to release tickets or should I go ahead and book through Stub Hub? It's for myself only and are single tickets relatively hard to easy to come by?

Also does anyone have input as to the easiest way to get from Midtown to new Yankee Stadium and any feedback about how early to leave for an afternoon 1:05 pm start, crowds, practical tips on what to take or what not to take, etc. as it'd be appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

This thread will now be linked from the sticky. For another thread that predates the April 2009 opening of the new Yankee Stadium, but still has relevant information on obtaining tickets, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...um-8-15-a.html

For information on baggage storage at Stan's Bar nearby the stadium, see HERE.

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Aug 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm Reason: adde link to baggage storage
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't go the StubHub route quite yet. Single game tickets should go on sale at the end of March.

Keep in mind that the 31st is Memorial Day, which will affect demand.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I am lucky enough to get to escape to NYC for a week in late May and while not a Yankees fan wouldn't mind catching a game for the fun of it. I checked online last night and found there is a 31st May home game vs. Baltimore but at the Yankees site no tickets were on sale so priced some seats at Stub Hub which I used last year for a Cubs game at Wrigley. Should I wait for the club to release tickets or should I go ahead and book through Stub Hub? It's for myself only and are single tickets relatively hard to easy to come by?
Follow nerd's advice regarding tickets.

Also does anyone have input as to the easiest way to get from Midtown to new Yankee Stadium and any feedback about how early to leave for an afternoon 1:05 pm start, crowds, practical tips on what to take or what not to take, etc. as it'd be appreciated.
What time do you want to arrive? From the east side: from E 59th and Lex, the 4 train takes about 15-20 minutes tops. From the west side: take the D train from midtown (34th, 42nd, 47-50th, 59th). Takes 15-20 minutes. The subways will be packed by 12 noon so expect to stand.

You can bring food but no soda, beer or opened bottled water. The bottled water needs to be closed and filled. They started allowing backpacks once again during the last part of the season but that of course could change once again. To be on the safe side, carry your things in a clear plastic bag. Or else, if you need to have other bags, you can check them in at the bowling alley across the street from the old stadium.

The food is ridiculously expensive at the new stadium. There is a good bodega on Gerard Ave which is one block up the hill parallel to River Ave where the stadium is. They make excellent heroes at inexpensive prices. And their bottled water is cheaper than the guys who sell them on the streets and much cheaper than what you can find in the stadium.

Last edited by Analise; Feb 11, 2010 at 2:43 pm
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Take the Lexington Ave (#4) train. This will take you 20 minutes to get to the 161st street station. The stadium is right there.

Regarding Stubhub, keep on eye on ticket prices vs purchasing on the Yankee website. Last year I got lucky and purchased some seats at a nice discount. Of course in 2010, YMMV.

For a 1:05 start, they'll probably let you in at 11:30. You'll need some time to walk around and check out all the gourmet food stands. The food went from typical ballpark food, to gourmet overnight. Read the website. My favorite, the Lobel steak sandwich. I use to bring in a sandwich from a deli on 161st street. It's no longer necessary under the circumstances.

dh
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53
For a 1:05 start, they'll probably let you in at 11:30. You'll need some time to walk around and check out all the gourmet food stands. The food went from typical ballpark food, to gourmet overnight. Read the website. My favorite, the Lobel steak sandwich. I use to bring in a sandwich from a deli on 161st street. It's no longer necessary under the circumstances.

dh
Last year on Memorial Day, they let people arrive 2 1/2 hours early. It would not surprise me if they do that again. Otherwise, they open 2 hours before the game.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I understand the Steinbrenner family will now accept a second mortgage on your home for two good seats.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I understand the Steinbrenner family will now accept a second mortgage on your home for two good seats.
Good thing I need only one then.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't bothered to consult a calendar and didn't catch that 31st May was Memorial Day. I'll follow the good advice and wait until March and check back into tickets directly through the Yankees before going the Stub Hub route.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:24 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Getting a single ticket is often times much easier since most people buy in multiples of 2. Once single game tickets go on sale officially see what you can get for 1. But do keep an eye on stubhub as odd lots do crop up when for example, a group of 4 only has 3 people going and needs to dump a ticket.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:08 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thread now linked from sticky for rapid reference. A 2007 thread is also linked from the OP.

/Moderator
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:55 pm

Damn! Seems like I should have waited to buy my tickets.
Am in NYC for a week and bought 2 tickets on stub hub for $60 each for the Yankees vs Baltimore on the 2nd May (I think that was the date). Being our first time in NYC I couldn't see any tickets available on the Yankees website and after a bit of looking around the board it seemed Stub Hub was the way to go.

Ohh well, I now know for next time!
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: AA, DL, VS, BA
Yeah, I don't imagine that if you go online the day that single game sales start that you'd have too many problems getting tickets for this game. I'd go for the upper deck 400 level seats first. They're $20 and $25, offer you some cover from the elements, and a pretty good deal once you back out the ticketba*tard charges.
You may be tempted to go for the $12 bleacher tickets but those go really quickly.

Overall, as a first visit to the new place, I wouldn't spend too much on the actual tickets as walking around and exploring is ineveitable, even during the game. It took me about 3 weeks to actually sit in my seats for the duration of the game, rather than be tempted to watch it from all vantage points and levels.

Enjoy your visit. ^
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Couple of observations that may hold true from last season. First if your looking to goto a Saturday-Sunday/Holiday game I would first try to buy tickets as soon as the Yankees put them on sale since these are always popular games. Second if your going for a weekday game especially in the 1st half of the season I would wait till closer to the game,and snatch tickets off stubhub at below face value. There are many many people who buy season tickets just to attempt to flip them on stubhub,and there just isn't the demand for weekday games. As far as seats go I think the 400's behind/near home plate are the best value in the stadium.
Cheers
Howie
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
As far as seats go I think the 400's behind/near home plate are the best value in the stadium.
Cheers
Howie
You've got that right.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Analise
You've got that right.
I just moved my Sunday plan from the 300's in left field which were awful and $45 to 415 between 1st and HP and my plan went down $20/Game! I've had the plan since 1997,and got screwed by the Yankees last season.
Cheers
Howie
Old Feb 24, 2010, 4:38 am

Programs: AA, DL, VS, BA
you sure those are only $20? i thought you'd have to move 1 section away from HP for the price break. I'm on the other side in 426 right after the price break and mine are 20 for seasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.