Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

With our itinerary is Yankee game doable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan

Hi folks
Four of us arrive LGA at 5:45 PM Sept 2. We first need to drop luggage at the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge since we are taking a cruise ship the next day. Is there enough time to do this then get to Yankee Stadium without missing too much of the game? If so, do you recommend taxis or public transportation?
Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You're going to miss a big chunk of the game if you go to your hotel first. If you want to go to the game, take a taxi to Yankee Stadium directly from LGA. In fact, tell the cabbie to drop you off directly at the bowling alley which is located on River Avenue and 158th St. The bowling alley runs a side business storing fans' luggage and briefcases. Then walk to 161st and River Ave to the Stadium. It's right there.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by Analise
You're going to miss a big chunk of the game if you go to your hotel first. If you want to go to the game, take a taxi to Yankee Stadium directly from LGA. In fact, tell the cabbie to drop you off directly at the bowling alley which is located on River Avenue and 158th St. The bowling alley runs a side business storing fans' luggage and briefcases. Then walk to 161st and River Ave to the Stadium. It's right there.
I'm going to agree with Analise on this your going to miss a large chunk of the game. After you pick up your bags on the way back you can just grab the 4 train to borough hall and that's right across from the Marriott.
Cheers
Howie
Old Apr 1, 2011, 4:05 pm

Assuming you land on time and everything goes to plan the best case numbers are roughly:
  • 15 minutes waiting for bags
  • 5 minutes in the cab line
  • 20 minute drive to the hotel
  • 15 minutes to check in, drop your bags and get back to the train station
  • 3 minutes waiting for a train
  • 40 minutes on the train
  • 3 minutes to get inside the stadium

That puts you at 103 minutes from wheels down to inside the park, arriving just in time for the 7:08 first pitch.

And if you believe that any of those numbers will hold I'll be happy to meet you at your hotel and sell you that beautiful bridge.

I'd bet on at least an extra hour over the above numbers. Arriving at 8-8:15 would make doing the bowling alley approach a better idea IMO.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I continue to be amazed at how much you know about the Bombers.

Will Derek and Minka get married?
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I continue to be amazed at how much you know about the Bombers.
Oh anybody could tell you about the bowling alley!

Will Derek and Minka get married?
I don't do personal-life prognostication. That's out of my line of expertise.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 1:39 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
In fact, tell the cabbie to drop you off directly at the bowling alley which is located on River Avenue and 158th St. The bowling alley runs a side business storing fans' luggage and briefcases.
Wow, what a gem! ^
Old Apr 7, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
Wow, what a gem! ^
Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:39 am

Exclamation UPDATE!!!

I arrived at the ballgame early yesterday and headed over to the bowling alley. Well, the bowling alley is "closed for renovations" as the sign says but it looks like it went out of business.

So Stan's Bar on the corner of River Ave & 158th took over the baggage storage side business.

FYI to the OP and anyone else heading to a ballgame with luggage; go to Stan's. OP, you can still tell the cabbie to take you to 158th and River Ave. Stan's is just on the other side of 158th a few feet closer to the Stadium.

Last edited by Analise; Apr 26, 2011 at 9:56 am
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Stan's Bar on the corner of River Ave & 158th took over the baggage storage side business.

So FYI to the OP and anyone else heading to a ballgame with luggage; go to Stan's.
That is a great piece of information from the field... Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I arrived at the ballgame early yesterday and headed over to the bowling alley. Well, the bowling alley is "closed for renovations" as the sign says but it looks like it went out of business.

So Stan's Bar on the corner of River Ave & 158th took over the baggage storage side business.

FYI to the OP and anyone else heading to a ballgame with luggage; go to Stan's. OP, you can still tell the cabbie to take you to 158th and River Ave. Stan's is just on the other side of 158th a few feet closer to the Stadium.
Thanks for the details although I don't need them.

The above post should be in a sticky about baseball games.^
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:10 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Thanks for the details although I don't need them.

The above post should be in a sticky about baseball games.^
Done!
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC Aeroplan
Thanks for all the previous information.
Does anyone know if you can buy discounted Yankee tickets if, say, you arrive at the stadium 60 to 90 minutes after the first pitch? (I know we would only see 3 or 4 innings at best).
Old Jun 29, 2011, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by SE until 2009-02-28 only
Thanks for all the previous information.
Does anyone know if you can buy discounted Yankee tickets if, say, you arrive at the stadium 60 to 90 minutes after the first pitch? (I know we would only see 3 or 4 innings at best).
Not from the Yankees. Not from Stubhub. Maybe from a scalper assuming the tickets he sells you aren't counterfeit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.