Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Impressions of QF/BA/CX/AK - a mix of Y, Y+, J and LCC respectively!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:56 am
Original Poster

NB: This report is posted in more than 1 travel forums, hence some of the seemingly awkward terminology used when describing people I've met from both here and SQTalk.

QF430 MEL-SYD, Economy
Scheduled dep – 1200
Actual dep – 1214
Aircraft type – B767-300
Seat – 34B

I’d booked a BA World Traveller’s Plus fare to Bangkok, and consequently had to fly QF over to SYD to pick up the BA flight.

I strode purposefully to the eastern end of Terminal 1 where the ‘Domestic-International connection’ check in desk was located, meaning to check in for both QF430 and my connecting flight to BKK. The queues were manageable and before too long I’d been handed a boarding pass for my first flight by the rather expressionless check in agent. I’d OLCIed for my BA flight and like previous attempts with OLCI where the preceding flight was not BA, it had messed up with the computer systems with QF at MEL not able to issue the BA BP. I had not PYOBPed as I collect BP stubs and the ‘real’ BPs tends to last longer. My bag was successfully tagged through to BKK though.

Soon enough I was in the domestic Qantas Club at MEL where I promptly got my seat changed to an aisle seat at the emergency exit row. As the bar was not open until 1300, I simply surfed the net on my laptop. I was supposed to meet RickyT (QF FT) to ‘guest’ him into the QP.

A pleasant surprise ensued as I bumped into Aerotec (BA FT), who hails from EDI and who I last met at a BA mini Do in LON. It was completely unexpected and was all the more rad meeting each other in this part of the world for a change as I’d only ever met him in EDI or LON prior to this.

Surprise number two when aforementioned QP guest of mine revealed that he’s a fellow law student at unimelb even though we’d not even met each other around campus. It’s a small world!

The boarding call for my flight was made and I hurried to join the scrum to get on to the Cityflyer shuttle bus to SYD. Twas a rather straightforward service to SYD, not overly eventful. I declined a panini and opted for some juice along with a green apple. Strong turbulence meant a rather rushed service; those down the back had to gobble down their lunches pretty quickly and an apology for this was made over the PA with a pre-emptive comment that ‘safety came before service.’

We ended up arriving in SYD ahead of the scheduled arrival time.

BA10 SYD-BKK, World Traveller’s Plus
Scheduled departure: 1640
Actual departure: 1658
Aircraft: B747-400, mid J config
Seat: 11J

Upon arrival in SYD, I proceeded to the transfer lounge, opposite gate 1 in the domestic terminal, to board the courtesy bus to the international terminal. Timing was on my side as I did not have to wait at all for the bus.

Since I did not have my BA BP, I had to go back to the check in desks before heading airside. The queue at the Club check in desks were rather short and it was with a huge sigh of relief when I realised that the seat shifters spared me and I kept 11J, bulkhead aisle in WTP. A lot has changed on BA since I’d last flown the airline and I was pretty disappointed with the new black and white boarding pass, which was certainly a depressing way to start the journey. Prior to this I’d read the howls of protest on the BA board on FT, but reality only sank in when I held the puke-inducing BP in my hands.

Immigration and security were chaotic, and choked with amateur travelers who took an age to clear security due to multiple failures to observe security regulations.

I then spent a couple of hours downing Moet in the QF J lounge. It was with a tinge of envy as I walked past the gleaming new Flounge, and I wished somehow I could fast forward till I achieved AA EXP/oneworld emerald which was a prerequisite status to enter the Flounge. The J lounge now seems like a high school cafeteria in comparison.

Boarding

Occurred at the furthest possible gate from the lounge. As a oneworld sapphire, I was entitled to use ‘Fast Track’ boarding which was a relief as the line for WHY snaked back for miles. Once onboard I was greeted by name despite being a dirty AA sapphire instead of a BA one.

Seat and Cabin

I had the ‘mid J’ config which sees the WTP cabin sandwiched behind F but in front of Club, a major source of consternation amongst many. The crew seemed to have overcome this problem by using velvet ropes to secure the WTP cabin – not an ideal solution but certainly the optimum way to protect premium cabin integrity IMO, especially when deplaning (more later).

Seat 11J in this config is identical to 17J on a ‘low J’ plane. So no solo bulkhead seats unlike row 28 on ‘high J’ planes alas. There was ample legroom and the seat was sufficiently comfy for the 8 hour journey to Bangkok. I’m not sure if I’d fly in WTP all the way to LHR though, then again I’d survived that trip in WHY on QF with only a teeny break in SIN halfway, as I’d like to boast to mates every now and again.

My failure to achieve an op up to J was more than made up by the pleasing aesthetics of the bloke sitting next to me in 11K, who was off to LON for his grandma’s birthday, bless him.

Catering

Booze on BA was generously offered and came in doubles. I had copious amounts of wines which came in 175ml bottles. This reduced the need to disturb the crew as 2 of those lasted me a bit longer than the measley 1 bottle on QF WHY, or the tiny glasses of wine served on SQ WHY. My seatmate and I used the bassinet as a cocktail table at the suggestion of the FA. The WTP FA was great at bringing out extra wine when I’d finished - mostly without the use of the crew call button which I only had to use thrice throughout the flight.

The food was nothing spectacular, but perfectly edible. Dinner was a choice between lamb and pasta accompanied with salad as a starter and some cake as dessert, whilst a roll of some sort was served for the pre-landing refreshment.

IFE

The flight was equipped with AVOD which mercifully worked without a hitch. The movie selection was average and I ended up watching Harry Potter in anticipation of the latest book and movie releases of the series, and an episode of Friends. I either read my book or chatted with my seatmate for the rest of the flight.

De-planing

Everyone was required to get off at BKK regardless of whether they were terminating there. Two doors were used to de-plane the aircraft. It was re-assuring to note that the crew did a great job of making sure Club and F pax got off before WTP was allowed off.

For the most part, WTP pax, including yours truly , were well-behaved and respected the premium cabin entitlement to de-plane first by not impatiently pushing or fidgeting to disembark. Or maybe they’d transitted at Suvarnabhumi once too often and were instead dreading to get out.

Baggage

It took such a long time clearing passport control that my suitcase was already doing its merry go round on the carousel when I arrived.

A rather pleasant experience on BA on the whole. I wish they’d come up with a better designed BP, menus in WTP, and had better choices for the IFE though. I knew what to expect from the WTP cabin having been on it before – the extra space is certainly a plus, but at the same time I wish BA would look into making WTP an actual ‘premium’ experience like what its competitors, notably VS, have done. But until QF’s Premium Economy cabin launches, BA WTP remains the only viable option in oneworld for this cabin of travel. The 1.5 Qpts/mile when accruing to AAdvantage also helps heaps.

Next: Plaza Athenee Bangkok, a Royal Meridien Hotel

Last edited by Keith009; Jul 26, 2007 at 12:55 pm Reason: words in bold for clarity
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:30 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I think you've already traveled on the LCC - can't believe that BA offer miniature screwtop bottles of wine in J. Jacob's Creek is only one notch above Château Plonque. People criticise United's C offerings, but at least they don't descend to this sort of depth.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
I think you've already traveled on the LCC - can't believe that BA offer miniature screwtop bottles of wine in J. Jacob's Creek is only one notch above Château Plonque. People criticise United's C offerings, but at least they don't descend to this sort of depth.
This isn't J, it is WTP - a premium economy cabin. Did you read anything he wrote or just look at the pictures!? I know that must look like a business class seat to a UA flyer but believe me it really isn't on BA!
Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1P
It might have escaped your notice that I wasn't flying J. WTP is BA's Premium Economy offering.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by QF009
The crew seemed to have overcome this problem by using velvet ropes to secure the WTP cabin – not an ideal solution but certainly the optimum way to protect premium cabin integrity IMO, especially when deplaning (more later).
So are there ropes at the back of the W cabin now? There have always been ropes at the back of the F cabin to stop the gypsies from J trying to steal the cornflakes in the morning but a rope at the back of the new arrangement was the obvious solution to the teething problems the new config was having...
Old Jul 26, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
il traditor

No QF long-haul on your trip?

Looking forward to your next installment.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Nice start to your report QF009 ^^^

Hmm food and drink in WTP is same as in economy. I think I made the right decision with BA economy for my recent trip to BKK (en route to DAC), as we got a row to lie down on (which doesn't seem possible in WTP).
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Teece
So are there ropes at the back of the W cabin now?
Yep - 1 rope in front, 1 rope at the back.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Hmm food and drink in WTP is same as in economy. I think I made the right decision with BA economy for my recent trip to BKK (en route to DAC), as we got a row to lie down on (which doesn't seem possible in WTP).
There are other benefits to WTP besides the bigger mileage accrual to AA, which will be apparent when I write about the return flight.

Originally Posted by Moomba
No QF long-haul on your trip?
No sorry.
Trying to escape as much travel in WHY as possible ya know...

Thanks all, for the comments.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:40 pm

Thanks for the report QF009 on the mid-J arrangement for WTP. I think that it makes WTP more to be sought after, besides the 1.5 EQPs for we 'dirty' AA Plats and EXPs.

Look forward to hearing about the return.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 2:54 am
Original Poster

I'd neglected to mention the amenity kit BA provided for both WTP and WHY pax. It contained a pair of socks, a toothbrush and some industrial-tasting toothpaste - very similar to the SQ kits. Like SQ does, it's great that BA provides these things even on day flights.

Plaza Athenee Bangkok, a Royal Meridien Hotel
Wireless Rd
Stay duration: 3 nights

Taxi drivers often have trouble finding the hotel as many have no clue as to where Wireless Rd is. My taxi driver had to stop in the middle of the highway from the airport to downtown to contact the hotel and enquire about its whereabouts. A rapid burst of Thai and a thumbs up sign indicated that he’d worked out the LM’s location. The solution to this is to obtain a name card from the concierge folks which indicate the address of the hotel in Thai; otherwise have the phone number of the hotel handy.

The hotel did not have as good a location as the WGS or the SGS on Sukhumvit Rd, as Wireless Rd was nowhere near good nightlife. There was a BTS nearby though and it was a cheap and convenient way to commute to places such as Soi Cowboy or Silom.

Décor

The LM’s decor is pretty dated. Unlike the SGS which seemed to have deliberately made itself feel old, the LM’s rather 90s décor was in want of an update. There were also too many weird wooden fixtures for my liking, and too much unnecessary paraphernalia adorning the lobby.

Room
I’d booked a regular room on the Club floor, which was huge and seemed a bit like a junior suite. The datedness of the décor was compensated by a big LCD television.

The bathroom was spacious and well-equipped with every imaginable amenity. I was pleased to not have to request for dental kits. OTOH I wished the hotel had standard LM shower amenities (my fave is the Lime Basil shower gel!) instead of the foul-smelling stuff they offered.

There was also a welcome fruit platter, as well as chocolates on arrival. Turn down service was poor however - not even chocolates provided.

Club lounge

A rather fulfilling hot breakfast was served every morning between 0630 and 1030. There was also free wifi, otherwise one was entitled to use the computer terminals on a complimentary basis up to 30 minutes. Happy Hour in the evenings meant free booze and canapés. The selection was rather limited unfortunately.

Service

Aside from the annoying dude at check in who tried to up sell me into a larger room, service at the hotel was generally excellent. Every member of staff I encountered was courteous and friendly. Staff I met around corridors or in lifts would enquire about my stay or otherwise make small talk. The porter who brought my suitcase to my room did not grovel for tips like staff in some other hotels, and instead thanked my very sincerely when I did tip him.

Can't comment on SPG Gold recognition - I did not know whether I got a 'Preferred Room' since it's my first time at the property but I was certainly happy with what I got. I did not have to utilise the late check out perk.

In summary, whilst the service of the LM was great, the property is let down by its dated décor and its location could also be better. It’s back to the Westin on Sukhumvit in future, or the recently announced aLoft whose completion I’m eagerly looking forward to, W it ain’t but an aLoft should have the same Whatever/Whenever service that I feel would significantly boost SPG’s selection in one of my favourite cities in the world.

Next: CX713 BKK-SIN, Business Class

Last edited by Keith009; Jul 27, 2007 at 3:19 am
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Quality stuff QF009 - thanks for taking the time to do this report and I look forward to hearing about the next sectors. ^
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: BA
Excellent report QF009. looking forward to the review of WT+ on the return sector
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
Looking forward to what you make of NGCW
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

CX713 BKK-SIN, Business
Scheduled departure – 1145
Actual departure – 1152
Aircraft – B747-400
Seat – 86A

There was nobody at the J check in desks when I rocked up, which made for a rather fast check-in. I was debating as to whether I ought to pay for an upgrade to F but ultimately decided that the extra cost required was not worth it for the short sector. I was also issued an invitation to the CX lounge in concourse G.

It was a pretty long trek to concourse G, particularly as I was distracted by the ability to purchase reasonably cheap champagne for my parents along the way.

The CX lounge at BKK was disappointing. The whole place felt pretty dull and drab Despite overlooking the tarmac, there did not seem to be much natural light in the lounge, which could probably be attributed to the poor interior design. Apart from the dim sum, there was very little in the way of catering. As the QF/BA lounge next door was not open, I had to stick to the CX lounge.

Boarding

Soon boarding for CX713 was announced, and I dutifully made my way to the gate. As the flight was nowhere near full, there was entirely no queue for boarding.

Once onboard I was greeted cordially, directed to my seat and served pre-departure champagne.

Seat/Cabin

I did not manage to score a 74A configuration but the older config was perfectly fine for the short flight.

Seat 86A was a window seat at the emergency exit row on the upper deck. It’s nice of CX to allow other oneworld emeralds/sapphires to preselect row 86 seats in addition to their own MPC elites. I had ample legroom and a whole row to myself.

Service

I’ve never had the best of luck with CX cabin crew, and I’d always wondered how they received such rave reviews on virtually every travel forum I frequent. However, this flight proved to be totally different from my previous (albeit limited) experiences with CX.

As I was sitting opposite the jump seat, I’d already built up a good rapport with the charming Senior Purser during taxiing and take off. The crew seemed to remember pax names without the help of a pax list, which I found pretty impressive. Throughout the flight, the Senior Purser and her team were most attentive and truly lived up to the reputation CX enjoys. My champagne flute was never empty. Eventually, to save the junior FA from going back and forth my seat to top up champagne, I decided to join the crew at the galley and was welcome (“but don’t expect Lan Kwai Fong!”) with a bottle of bubbly all to myself.

Catering

Menu and wine list as follows:

LUNCH

Starter
green and white asparagus with tomato salsa, smoked ham and Mesclun salad

Main Courses
*pork piccata with tomato basil sauce
linguini noodles and baked vegetable medley

braises fish fillet with bean curd sheets and mushroom
steamed rice and stir-fried oriental mixed vegetables

Dessert
water chestnut and coconut cream dessert Thai-style

Tea and Coffee

Pralines
*my choice

Drink list

Juices
orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks
Coke Zero, Coke, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water
tonic water, soda water and ginger ale
Coke Zero is now available on selected flights

Coffee
freshly brewed coffee

Teas
Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine
organic selection: carmomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate

Wines List

From the wine consultants
Disznoko Tokaji Aszu 5 Puttonyos 1996

Champagne
Billecard-Salmon Brut Champagne

White wines
Paul Sapin Macon Lugny Cuvee Prestige 2005

Watershed Margaret River Unoaked Chardonnay 2005

Red wines
Kirrihill Companions Clare Valley Shiraz 2004

Vieux Chateau London, Cru Bourgeois Medoc 2003

Port
Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2000

Aperitifs and Cocktails
Gin, Rum, Vodka, Martini Rosso, Martini Extra Dry, Campari, Sweet and Dry Sherry, Bloody Mary, Screwdrive

Whiskies
Chivas Regal 12 Years Old, Johnnie Walker Gold Label, Jack Daniel's Bourbon, Canadian Club

Cognac
Hine'Rare and Delicate Fine Champagne

Liquers
Drambuie, Cointreau, Bailey's Irish Cream

Beer
International Selection

CX signature drinks
Cathay Delight
A kiwifruit based non-alcoholic drink with coconut juice and a touch of fresh mint

Pacific Sunrise
A refreshing combination of champagne and Drambuie with the zest of orange and lemon
Contrary to what the Purser warned when I decided to pay a visit at the galley, the list of drinks was enough to start a Lan Kwai Fong cocktail party onboard. I certainly enjoyed the champagne, which never stopped flowing.

Lunch however was a poor affair. To begin with, the portions were miniscule. The presentation left much to be desired, and this substandard presentation was matched by the mediocre quality of the pork main course, which was soggy and overcooked.

I’d also flown the BKK-SIN sector in J with SQ, TG and LX, and also once with CX two years ago, and this latest meal indicated such a drastic decline of CX’s meal service that I’d have to rank it the poorest out of the lot. Given CX’s position as one of the world’s premier carriers, I thought the airline could lift their game in the food stakes a little.

The lovely dessert ended up saving the day – being full of flavour and of the right texture, it was a sure winner.

IFE

I did not make use of the IFE. However I wouldn’t have enjoyed what Studio CX really had to offer even if I had as only short features were shown due to the flight’s duration.

Despite the sub-par lunch, I enjoyed the short flight on CX, thanks to the great set of crew I got. The junior FA was a little reserved initially but let her guard down eventually. Both the Senior Purser and the Purser were cheeky and entertaining characters who made my time on the aircraft a fun one. I think the light load, and thus optimum crew-pax ratio helped. The stellar crew more than made up for my grievance with the food.

We landed early in Singapore’s Changi Airport. And as I’ve come to expect from Changi – no queuing was necessary at passport control and despite the lack of queues, my bag was already waiting for me on the carousel when I emerged from immigration.

Next: AK6352 JHB-KUL, LCC

Last edited by Keith009; Jul 27, 2007 at 12:11 pm
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:04 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
QF009

Another excellant Trip Report. I am becoming quite a fan of your Trip Reports-they are always of an exceptionally high standard. Well done Keith!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.