Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Concierge - lack of inventory availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Concierge - lack of inventory availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2007, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
As you are aware, Marriott Rewards has policies in place regarding our redemption inventory that apply to all participating hotels. When hotels are out of compliance with our policies and are working outside of our systematic processes, we work with them to get them back within 100% compliance as quickly as possible.
Well not much has changed in over 4 weeks other than some Stay Almost Anytime if We Decide to Let You rewards being avaialble at the Vail Marriott (with no correlation to Standard room availability). Obviously "quickly as possible" means something different than that to which I am accustomed.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Noticed today that the Renn. Seaworld - Orlando has no reward availability from 4/7-5/6 (Regular or Stay Anytime.)

Yet they are selling "Quality Rooms"
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:44 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

aaupgrade,

I thought I had posted an update awhile ago, but it appears as though I am incorrect. I sincerely apologize for the delay in responding, and I thank you for replying to this thread.

Here is some information on two of the hotels you were inquiring about:

JW Grande Lakes – There was indeed a problem with their room inventory, as most of their standard redemption inventory was apparently closed out. This has been resolved and they are now accepting reward reservations.

Marriott’s Mountain Valley Lodge at Breckenridge – This is a Marriott Vacation Club property who must manage their rooms differently from a standard hotel in order to accommodate members who own timeshare weeks. During the holiday season, again, owners will be occupying their villas and there will not be redemption inventory available. When the hotel is out of season or does not have owners occupying their villas, they will open up their rooms to other guests.

We are still working with the Vail Marriott Resort. I will be sure to post an update when I have more information. Again, I apologize for the delay, and I appreciate your patience.

Kind regards,
Old Apr 10, 2007, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Chris, I am unable to get any reward availability for the JW Grande Lakes in February 2008, even for one night. It appears that the standard and stay anytime award inventory have not been loaded.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Chris,

First of all thank you for your follow-up and my guess is what you shared with us is what you were told. Well, I wouldn't put much credence in anything you are told without at least a little investigation supporting what was said.

JW Grande Lakes – There was indeed a problem with their room inventory, as most of their standard redemption inventory was apparently closed out. This has been resolved and they are now accepting reward reservations.
Actually this is not the case with this hotel for award or PAID stays as of yesterday. I called them yesterday to speak with someone at the hotel and the following happened:
  • I got transferred to reservations where I got voice mail; so I called back and asked to speak to the GM
  • I got the asst. FOM and explained the situation of not being able to reserve any rooms after Jan 5 2008. He wanted to transfer me to reservations to which I replied "No. If you transfer me to anyone then transfer me to your boss or the GM". He told me to wait a minute and put me on hold.
  • After 20 minutes on hold I conference in the Platinum Reservations who, after I explained the situation to them, transferred me to Customer Care. I am still on hold with the .... FOM as evidenced by the hold background music that both the Plat CSR and I can hear.
  • After explaining the situation to customer care and also telling customer care that we are still on hold with the .... FOM, I asked if they like the background music? We are at about 40-45 minutes on hold at this point. Customer Care puts me on hold and says she is going to locate someone at the hotel. After coming back a few times, apologizing for the wait each time, she finally has the Reservation Sales Supervisor at the hotel on the line.
  • I explain the situation to her and she says that the first couple weeks in January (up until Jan 16) are booked solid with a conference and that they are trying to make decisions about later in January and February availability. She said they would have their inventory up to date by April 21.
  • Call was wrapped up after 59 minutes on hold... Yes, we were still on hold with the .... FOM. BTW, the .... FOM told the Customer Care and Reservation Sales Supervisor that I had been mysteriously disconnected. Funny that the 3 of us could still hear the hold background music.

With the exception of the .... FOM, all those I spoke with were very helpful.

Now, since all of this occurred yesterday and involved PAID stays at the JW Orlando, I decided I should go out to the web site and check Reward availability starting with January 6. Well nothing available for the night of January 6 so I decided to check on alternate availability. I check for 1 night of Reward availability during the 4 week period starting on Jan 6. Lo and behold up comes links to 9 different types of rewards at this hotel.

I click on the first Select This Room Type button and I get a Windows Internet Explorer dialog box that says, “The rate you have selected is not available. Please select another rate or return to the previous screen and select alternate dates to check future availability again.” I click the OK button to get rid of the error dialog box.

Then I click on the second Select This Room Type button and I get a Windows Internet Explorer dialog box that says, “The rate you have selected is not available. Please select another rate or return to the previous screen and select alternate dates to check future availability again.” I click the OK button to get rid of the error dialog box.

Then I click on the third Select This Room Type button and I get a Windows Internet Explorer dialog box that says, “The rate you have selected is not available. Please select another rate or return to the previous screen and select alternate dates to check future availability again.” I click the OK button to get rid of the error dialog box.

Then I click on the fourth Select This Room Type button and I get a Windows Internet Explorer dialog box that says, “The rate you have selected is not available. Please select another rate or return to the previous screen and select alternate dates to check future availability again.” I click the OK button to get rid of the error dialog box.

Then I click on the fifth Select This Room Type button and I get a Windows Internet Explorer dialog box that says, “The rate you have selected is not available. Please select another rate or return to the previous screen and select alternate dates to check future availability again.” I click the OK button to get rid of the error dialog box.

Then I click on the sixth Select This Room Type button and I get a Windows Internet Explorer dialog box that says, “The rate you have selected is not available. Please select another rate or return to the previous screen and select alternate dates to check future availability again.” I click the OK button to get rid of the error dialog box.

Then I click on the seventh Select This Room Type button and I get a Windows Internet Explorer dialog box that says, “The rate you have selected is not available. Please select another rate or return to the previous screen and select alternate dates to check future availability again.” I click the OK button to get rid of the error dialog box.

Then I click on the eighth Select This Room Type button and I get a Windows Internet Explorer dialog box that says, “The rate you have selected is not available. Please select another rate or return to the previous screen and select alternate dates to check future availability again.” I click the OK button to get rid of the error dialog box.

Then I click on the ninth Select This Room Type button and I get a Windows Internet Explorer dialog box that says, “The rate you have selected is not available. Please select another rate or return to the previous screen and select alternate dates to check future availability again.” I click the OK button to get rid of the error dialog box.

Then if I want to go back to the Alternate date finder screen I have to click OK on all 9 error dialog boxes again to do so.

Now that I am back at the Alternate date finder I repeat all of the above for 1 night of Reward availability during the 4 week period starting on Feb 3. And then do the same again for 1 night of Reward availability during the 4 week period starting on Mar 2. After 81 clicks of the mouse and numerous keystrokes I have determined that there is no Reward availability.

I sure am happy the analysts made Marriott.com so much more user friendly over the past year. Why list these choices if there is no award availability? Why make me go through needless mouse clicks. IMO, Marriott has fixed something that wasn’t broke. But guess what, now it is. Think “New Coke”. My guess is that the analyst and programming staff were thinking of a different type of coke. This is your analyst and programming staff, this is your analyst and programming staff on crack.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Apr 10, 2007 at 4:53 pm
Old Apr 10, 2007, 5:49 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by cyberdad
This has the potential for becoming a very serious problem....if it isn't already. Nobody (well, almost nobody) here wants to see hotels or customers penalized. Here's hoping Marriott can devise a win-win solution.
As I pointed out on another thread, a CY I was looking to book some 50 weeks out went from "too far in advance" on Saturday night >>> right to "no standard awards available" but select the "stay anytime reward at 2x the points. In a matter of hours last early Sunday morning.

For whatever reason, the economic tide in hotelling has turned against us in the last few years, apparently its a sellers market until another recession or 9/11 type event hits. Too bad both sides can't just keep an even keel since we both need each other.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:50 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

With the exception of a limited number of blackout dates, every hotel is required to make a percentage of their rooms available for standard awards. Redemptions may be booked 50 weeks in advance. Once that inventory is taken, members may use Anytime Awards for last room availability on standard rooms. If the hotel is selling standard rooms, you should be able to redeem an Anytime Award.
The exact definition of standard may vary from hotel to hotel, but should include the vast majority of rooms at the hotel. Some exceptions would include suites, ocean view, etc. The same restrictions that apply to paid stays would apply to Anytime Awards, including minimum length of stay requirements and/or advance deposits to name a few examples. If the hotel is sold out, clearly you would not be able to redeem standard or anytime awards.
We will also not allow Platinum members to use their 48-hour guarantee benefits from a paid stay and later convert that paid stay to a redemption. Some groups will book meetings more than 50 weeks in advance, which may result in no rooms being available for sale 50 weeks in advance. But again, if the hotel is selling rooms, then you should be able to use Anytime Awards.
The Rome Marriott and JW Capri fully participate in standard awards, but only allocate a limited number of rooms for Anytime Awards. These two locations are the sole exceptions to our policy and we have updated our terms and conditions accordingly.
I have forwarded on the specific examples you have cited and they will be corrected shortly. Regarding the challenges you encountered on marriott.com., the future rate availability function shows availability for any rate programs the hotel has created, regardless of whether those room pools are available over the next 4 weeks. That is why you get the error. These are valid rate programs, but do not have inventory allocated. If they are in violation of the policy as stated above, we will monitor and adjust accordingly.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Is it time to re-name the web site to marriott.BOMB?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
I have forwarded on the specific examples you have cited and they will be corrected shortly.

The pro-active nature of your response, Chris, is encouraging.
Old Apr 14, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
That is why you get the error. These are valid rate programs, but do not have inventory allocated. If they are in violation of the policy as stated above, we will monitor and adjust accordingly.
You posted prior that the property in question had been brought into compliance. To wit:

As the subject period was one of the OP's original concerns, and apparently continues to be by their very detailed analysis of availability, could you perhaps expand upon what exactly "compliance" means?

As a long-time Marriott customer, I'm increasingly sensing the hotels are running Marriott rather than the reverse, sorry to say. Hope you all can get them reined in before longtime customers depart...

Pat
Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Well I was wrong about Orlando. As promised their inventory is now available for purchase through March 25, 2008. Not quite 50 weeks out, but much improved over previous availability through January 5.

Ironically, the dates I wanted, my platinum override reservation for $419/night is the least expensive option. Obviously they have an event going on there during that period.

There are also awards now available at the Orlando JW.

Another wonderful enhancement to Marriott.bomb that makes our booking experience so frustrating, and it may well be by design. Since I had made my Platinum override reservation, when I am logged in the reservation will not show me any availability for the dates for which I have the override booked, nor will it allow me to book a standard award during those dates. If I look for reservations when I am not logged in it shows me the available room rates (all lake front in excess of $419), and standard awards for 95,000 points plus $50/night upgrade to Lake Front room (4 nights) and it tells me to log in to select an award; but when I log in I get the message "- *RESTRICTIONS - LIMIT 1 ROOM, PLATINUM AVAIL ALREADY INVOKED*".

Vail update

No standard award availability for the 5 months of Dec 07, Jan 08, Feb 08, Mar 08, or Apr 08. So much for Marriott enforcing their policy of a required number of rooms being made available at all properties for standard awards.

While there is a good amount of availability of Stay Almost Anytime if We Decide to Let You awards at Vail Marriott, they are not available for the following nights:

Jan 5-12
Jan 16-21
Jan 31
Feb 1
Feb 13-21
Feb 23

Note that for all of the nights shown above there are Standard Rooms available for purchase.

On Marriott.bomb, while looking for Stay Almost Anytime if We Decide to Let You awards at Vail I get this wonderful message that requires me to start all over:
"An unexpected error has occurred Please try again. If the problem persists, you may call 1-888-236-2427 from within the USA or Canada. If you are calling from a location outside of this area, please consult our worldwide reservation directory for the appropriate number."
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM - Marriott Silver
Vail update No standard award availability for the 5 months of Dec 07, Jan 08, Feb 08, Mar 08, or Apr 08. So much for Marriott enforcing their policy of a required number of rooms being made available at all properties for standard awards.

You're right and were very lucky to get some over the phone. It looks like my skiing days at Vail on standard rewards are over so I'm heading to Whistler next year which do have standard rewards.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Well I was wrong about Orlando. As promised their inventory is now available for purchase through March 25, 2008. Not quite 50 weeks out, but much improved over previous availability through January 5.

Ironically, the dates I wanted, my platinum override reservation for $419/night is the least expensive option. Obviously they have an event going on there during that period.

There are also awards now available at the Orlando JW.

Another wonderful enhancement to Marriott.bomb that makes our booking experience so frustrating, and it may well be by design. Since I had made my Platinum override reservation, when I am logged in the reservation will not show me any availability for the dates for which I have the override booked, nor will it allow me to book a standard award during those dates. If I look for reservations when I am not logged in it shows me the available room rates (all lake front in excess of $419), and standard awards for 95,000 points plus $50/night upgrade to Lake Front room (4 nights) and it tells me to log in to select an award; but when I log in I get the message "- *RESTRICTIONS - LIMIT 1 ROOM, PLATINUM AVAIL ALREADY INVOKED*".

Vail update

No standard award availability for the 5 months of Dec 07, Jan 08, Feb 08, Mar 08, or Apr 08. So much for Marriott enforcing their policy of a required number of rooms being made available at all properties for standard awards.

While there is a good amount of availability of Stay Almost Anytime if We Decide to Let You awards at Vail Marriott, they are not available for the following nights:

Jan 5-12
Jan 16-21
Jan 31
Feb 1
Feb 13-21
Feb 23

Note that for all of the nights shown above there are Standard Rooms available for purchase.

On Marriott.bomb, while looking for Stay Almost Anytime if We Decide to Let You awards at Vail I get this wonderful message that requires me to start all over:
"An unexpected error has occurred Please try again. If the problem persists, you may call 1-888-236-2427 from within the USA or Canada. If you are calling from a location outside of this area, please consult our worldwide reservation directory for the appropriate number."
So make a paid reservation and then have Marriott change it to an award stay??
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rebadc
So make a paid reservation and then have Marriott change it to an award stay??
I am not sure if you are referring to Orlando JW or Vail Marriott since you quoted my whole post but I will address both with the following general statement:

We shouldn't have to do that anymore than we should have to call the Platinum line 3 times and the hotel twice to finally get a standard award reservation which is what I had to do. First I was told there were no standard awards. The second time I called I didn't let the CSR off the hook that easily. I was put on hold and after a few minutes the CSR came back and said the hotel was close to sold out. The third time I pressed even more and was connected to Customer support who connected me with a person at the hotel who made a 3 week reservation during the same period which I had previously been told they were almost sold out. 11 months in advance, I don't think so. Also I had previously called the manager of reservations, left a message, and he never returned my phone call.

That is the whole point of this thread. Marriott is making it very difficult for us to get awards. We shouldn't have to go through this crap to get an award reservation.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:37 am
Original Poster

With the exception of a limited number of blackout dates, every hotel is required to make a percentage of their rooms available for standard awards. Redemptions may be booked 50 weeks in advance.
Still wrong on all counts for the Vail Marriott! There have been no Standard awards available at this hotel for the period of Dec 07 - Apr 08 as originally reported over 6 weeks ago (but then it was only through Feb 08).

Once that inventory is taken, members may use Anytime Awards for last room availability on standard rooms. If the hotel is selling standard rooms, you should be able to redeem an Anytime Award.
Wrong again in the case of the Vail Marriott. While there is a good amount of availability of Stay Almost Anytime if We Decide to Let You awards at Vail Marriott, they are not available for the following nights yet Standard rooms are available for sale:

Jan 5-12
Jan 16-21
Jan 31
Feb 1
Feb 13-21
Feb 23

Chris, either someone is lying to you, or you are lying to us. Either way it translates to Marriott lying to its customers.

Why does it take over 6 weeks to resolve this?

This along with
  • Doubling the premium for Stay Almost Anytime if We Decide to Let You awards
  • Excluding contractors from GOV rates
  • Changing the terms on the BB so they can't be used with gifts cards
  • Getting FT to pull rate codes sticky
  • The inability to print EEOs and view certain pages when using IE7 and little progress made on its correction
sends a very clear message that Marriott doesn't care about its customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.