Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using Your Crystal Ball: Predicting the Timing and Duration of a BA Strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Your Crystal Ball: Predicting the Timing and Duration of a BA Strike

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by westtexas
Can anyone confirm this? That would be outstanding. While I think a miles ticket should be treated the same as a cash ticket (I certainly paid for it, I just paid for it by taking earlier flights), I knew a lot of airlines viewed things differently. Anyway, that would be lovely if BA treated my ticket like a cash F ticket.
Ditto! Flying on miles in F to India. Hols for me!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:14 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Who's going to admit to trying to book travel on BA during anticipated strike days, that is in hopes of getting big compensation in miles again?

I may be wrong .... but wasn't the miles compensation for an unofficial strike with no warning?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 6:43 am

Programs: BA bronze
Option A: I have 140,000 BA miles ...... The other downside would be a slightly lower baggage allowance, which would sting since I am essentially making and international move with whatever I can pack in 3 suitcases.
BA free hold baggage allowance in First or Club World from 13 February 2007 is 3 bags of maximum weight 23 kg each http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb whereas with both Lufthansa and KLM the free hold baggage allowance for flights in business class to the USA is 2 bags of maximum weight 32 kg each. So isn't the allowance better with BA - 69 kg compared to 64kg?
If the 69 kg allowance isn't enough, extra bags in the hold on BA cost 120 per bag or 96 per bag if paid online.

On the other hand you may be able to take more hand baggage on Lufthansa or KLM - you won't be allowed more than one bag in the cabin on a flight departing from London.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:57 pm
Bukhara

Can anyone confirm this? That would be outstanding. While I think a miles ticket should be treated the same as a cash ticket (I certainly paid for it, I just paid for it by taking earlier flights), I knew a lot of airlines viewed things differently. Anyway, that would be lovely if BA treated my ticket like a cash F ticket.
A miles ticket will, on the whole, be treated like any other ticket.

Commonly, in the first moments of the disruption, the commercial policy will be subject to the same booking class being available or ponying up the additional dough - this is frustrating but is probably to offer the best immediate assistance to those who have paid most for their tickets. The policy is then usually updated a few hours later to allow rebooking in the same cabin (rather than same booking class) and, sometimes, one cabin higher (this was offered during the December fog debacle).

I'm not sure how the ticket desk will feel about rerouting a miles ticket on to another airline but when it comes to rebooking alternative BA flights, no distinction is made.

During a time of crisis, it essentially becomes a matter of getting you the hell off our backlog.

Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:55 pm

Just a thought....

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought it might be worth reviving this one on the slide for people to post conjecture/rumour/knowledge about the likely timing of strike action, rather than the issues raised by the strike threat itself (now into 4 pages and heading towards OMNI territory as the evil proto-Thatcherites go toe-to-toe with the pinko, leftie, Guardian reading union sympathisers).

I'm sure there are a lot of people - full disclosure: I'm one - who have various BA flights booked or about to be so for travel in the next month and would like to have a better understanding of what the timeframes are, what date are people broadly safe before, when is most likely and so on.

I'm planning on doing an ex-LIN to LAX on the 26th. Madness?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Have holiday flights booked on BA Feb.22,23,26,27. Since I've been stranded by AA and AC strikes and whomever is striking at CDG every time I've flown through there I've pretty well written this trip off and will just accept my money back from BA and go at another time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.