Thumbs up South African Airways: CPT-FRA in J with pictures

SA 262 CPT-FRA
Aircraft: 340-600
Date: Thursday, June 1, 2006
Flight Time: 0700-1845
Duration: 11 hours 45 minutes

Pictures are located here:
http://public.fotki.com/ACfly/air_tr...ra_in_j_class/

It's 0300h and I must get up to get ready for my long flight to Frankfurt. I usually fly BA to Europe from South Africa, but having already qualified for BA Gold, I want to now get my Senator status with LH. I had request my corporate travel agent book me on the direct flight to FRA from CPT. Since LH no longer flies to CPT during the winter season, she booked me on the SAA 262 CPT-FRA flight, with a code share on LH. This is a very long day time flight and SAA uses the brand new Airbus 340-600 aircraft. I look forward to sample the new highly rated J class seat.

With less than 2 hours before the departure time, my driver arrives to take me from the waterfront in Cape Town to the Airport. At 0445h the city is all quiet, and we breeze to the Airport in less than 12 minutes.

There is hardly anyone at the International terminal this morning other than the folks checking in on this flight. I believe this is the only international flight at this early hour of the morning. There is no line-up and I made my way to the premium check-in counter. The agent informs me that is load is quite light in J. Checkin process is efficient, and I am soon on my way to the SAA Balbao Lounge located on the second floor of the terminal. The lounge is completely empty as i enter. There is a self serve coffee and tea station to my left as I enter the lounge. I notice that there is no food served in the lounge. There are two computers in the lounge, and I spend my time checking emails.

Boarding call is made at 30 minutes prior to departure and I head for the gate. By the look at the crowd, it seems it will be a light load in both J and Y. There is a dedicated line for premium passengers and I proceed to board. I board the aircraft and turn left to find a very pleasant looking J cabin. The J cabin is configured 2x2x2, and there are 42 J seats on this aircraft. My first impression is quite favorable - new, modern and spacious. I select 5K (window seat). As I unpack, the FA welcomes me on board and offers to take my coat. Another FA offers me a selection of newspapers and magazine and a round of drinks, while another hands me the Amenity kit. I really like SAA J amenity kit. The kit is made by Delsey and can be used as a computer accessory bag. There is the usual items inside the kit: eye shade, ear plugs, comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, tissue paper, and socks. Socks are very nice as they have rubber surface underneath to prevent people from slipping when wearing them.

I am very impressed with the J class seat and I can see why SAA has been voted as having one of the best J seats around. The seat tuns into a complete 180 degree lie flat bed. There are ample storage rooms for shoes, water bottles and newspapers. There is a divider that can be release between the two seats for privacy. I find the seat to be very comfortable even more comfortable to sleep in than BA J or even F seats. SAA seats are is a bit wider and has more cushioning. A very nice duvet (exactly similar to BA F duvet) and a large pillow (similar to BA F) are given to each passenger. I am stunned by the spaciousness of the cabin and the sheer comfort of the seat. The entertainment is AVOD with over 20 movies and tv shows. I saw Crash, Memoir of a Gesha, and Brokeback Mountain during this flight.

There are four washrooms in the cabin - 2 in the back and 2 in the front. I am very impressed with the size of the bathroom - lot's of space to move around and very modern looking. It's about twice the size of BA First class washrooms.

Prior to take off, the FA hands out the menu. For this flight, there will be two full meals (Breakfast and Lunch). A light snack is served one hour before landing in FRA.

Welcome on Board

We are here to ensure that you time with us will be relaxing and pleasureable.
Good food takes time to prepare, and as meals are individually prepared, please allow 30 minutes if your choice includes a hot dish.
Should you wish not to be disturbed for a speciic service, kindly indicate this to the crew.
We trust that you will enjoy the selection and hope that it will contribute to your pleasure and comfort on this flight.
On occassion, high demand for a specific item may mean that your first choice will not be available.
We apologise if this is the case and hope that you will find your second choice just as good.

* Our menu have been designed in cooperation with the South African Chefs Association featuring dishes with a distinct South African style.

BREAKFAST
Selected Fruit Juices
Sliced Fresh Fruit
Natural or Fruit Flavoured Yoghurt
Cereal - Muesil or cornflakes
Scramble Eggs with Tomatoes
-Served with a grilled beef sausage, sauteed mixed mushrooms and a potato chive bake
OR
A selection of cold meats and cheese.
Bread Basket
- Filled with an assortment of breads and pastries served with butter and preserves.
- - - - - - - - - - - -

LUNCH
Starter:
Enjoy as either a starter or a flight meal.
Smoked Marlin
- presented with a black olive and pineapple salsa.
Seasonal Salad
- With the choice of vinaigreete or a Jalapeno tomato dressin

MAIN COURSE:
Ostrich Steak
- Braised witha bobotie sauce, sweet potato and leek mash, served with cinamon roasted butternut and buttered green beans.
Chicken Supreme
- Baked in white wine with sun-dried tomatoes, black olives and feta, topped with oyster mushrooom cream saunce, served with Parisienne potatoes and vegetables.
Line Fish
Pan-fired tilapia fillet, served with julienne seasonal vegetables and steamed basmati rice with a tomato ginger corriander sauce.
Penne Pasta
-Coated in sun0dried tomato sauce, accompanied by artichockes and black olives, topped with basil pesto and sahved Parmesan.

CHEESE PLATE
A selection of South African cheeses and crackers served with South Africa wine
- Nandi Goats' Milk Cheese, Jong Doorankaas Gouda, Simonsberg Creamy Blue

DESSERT
Amaretto and Coffee Ice Cream with a wafer biscuit
After takeoff, the FA begins the breakfast service. The meal is individually served from the galley and not from a cart. The presentation and taste of the meal are excellent and rivals BA F class. SAA uses full sized metal cutlery. Hot towels are handed out 4 times during the flight - before takeoff, before breakfast, before lunch, and before snack. The snack portion consist of a sandwich.

Service on this flight is also excellent. The FA's constantly monitor the cabin and hand out water and juice. I never had to ask for water.

What I like about SAA Long Haul J class on the 346:
- Very comfortable 180 degree lie flat flat J seats, rivaling BA J and even F seats.
- Nice overall cabin layout - It is very spacious, modern and bright.
- Wonderful meal presentation and high quality of the food. Food was excellent.
- Food is individually plated in the gallery and then served from the galley and not via cart.
- Large washrooms
- Nice duvet and full size pillows.
- AVOD entertainment center
- Useful amenity bag
- Very pleasant and attentive crew

What SAA can improve on:
- Better selection of food in the lounge
- need to implement on line check in

OVERALL: SAA offers a very nice business class product.. After experiencing SAA, I would not hesitate to fly with them again. In fact, I actually look forward to flying with them again.

Last edited by ACfly; Jun 4, 2006 at 6:35 am Reason: Updated links
Old Jun 3, 2006, 1:22 pm

Programs: LX, AZ, BA, LH, SA
Thanks for the report. ^
I am due to fly FRA-CPT in J on SAA later this year. However I booked the CPT-FRA flight via JNB because I am not keen on the idea of such a long daytime flight!
Old Aug 4, 2006, 6:54 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
great report, thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Gold; IHG Plat AMB
My thanks too! Fantastic photos! ^
Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:19 am

Programs: DL, AA, LH
Excellent Pictures, Great Report.

Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:40 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
You must like orange juice!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Great Job!

Loved the report, and your photos made me hungry!!!! One thing I always get confused on (I don't spend a lot of time on FlyerTalk): isn't "J" class considered First, and "C" class business? You said this was "J" class. Was it first or business? The food looks so wonderful! If it was Business, was there also a First Class cabiin on board their A-340's? Thanks for the great report! ^
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:30 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by Paella747
...One thing I always get confused on (I don't spend a lot of time on FlyerTalk): isn't "J" class considered First, and "C" class business?...
'J' and 'C' are usual abbreviations for Business Class... most *A carriers use 'C' as the main booking code for BC, hence the abbreviation; numerous other carriers use 'J'... so there you have it.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Paella747
Loved the report, and your photos made me hungry!!!! One thing I always get confused on (I don't spend a lot of time on FlyerTalk): isn't "J" class considered First, and "C" class business? You said this was "J" class. Was it first or business? The food looks so wonderful! If it was Business, was there also a First Class cabiin on board their A-340's? Thanks for the great report! ^
Just to add to WindFlyer's response, there is no F cabin on the SAA Airbus fleet. Only their 747 routes from JNB to LHR now offer this.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Wow! A good old fashioned Flight Report complete with excellent pictures AND menu transcripts. A well detailed Flight Report like this can prove invaluable in learning what to expect in all phases of an airline's service and may even influence one's decision to fly with or avoid that airline.

Thanks, ACfly. Any FTer considering which airline to fly on their trip to South Africa will be well served by your extra effort on this report.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
With SAA joining the *A, I was considering using miles for a trip to South Africa. The interior shots of the plane and food gave me great insight into what kind of service to expect. Thank you!

Is there some reason the cabin was that empty? Were you travelling off season or was it just a fluke?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:48 am

[how do I post pics????

thanx

M
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Is there some reason the cabin was that empty? Were you travelling off season or was it just a fluke?
For tourism (which is the majority of CPT traffic) you couldn't get more off season than July/August as it is the depths of winter down there. Hence why a number of carriers, including LH apparently, drop their direct service during these months. JNB remains full all year round as that is very much a business market. Another factor may be that SA's CPT-LHR flight is daytime whereas many people (especially in J/F with a flat bed) prefer overnight on this route as there is only a 1 or 2 hour time difference with Europe. All of which makes me wonder why SA run this service?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by aristoph
Just to add to WindFlyer's response, there is no F cabin on the SAA Airbus fleet. Only their 747 routes from JNB to LHR now offer this.
Do they have a seasonal run LHR-CPT in a 744? I'm booked supposedly in F in March '07 on SA221 and it's still showing as a 744.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 8:46 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Thanks so much for this great report!

I am flying ORD-FRA-CPT-LHR-ORD on UA/SA in Jan/Feb with the Africa legs on the SA A346. I absolutely cannot wait, especially after reading your report.

Thanks for the great pictures as well - I am still salivating!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.