Wiki Posts
Search

Across the Globe in 5 Continents

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2006, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
The odds aren't that low. NZ only has 7 (or is that 6 now?) 767s. TBU is mostly served by 767 and PER is only served by 767. AKL-TBU-AKL was bound to be the same a/c.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

RTW PLANNING

The planning for this trip started a year ago. As usual, I wanted to visit some new places and get a lot of bang for my buck. I expected I'd comfortably requalify my main FFPs and so slightly less focus on maximising that aspect compared with last easter's RTW.

I decided on a CRWSTAR3 (39,000 mile *A round the world) since this allowed me to visit some further afield places. However, unlike previous round the world trips, I didnt have enough mileage to do lots of short hops for minimum mileage earning purposes (if you read the link in the first post you'll know what I mean). I ticketed rather early to beat significant fare increases and increases in the phoney taxes that are fuel surcharges.

Originally I intended to include Bhutan (as a side trip since the only airline, Druk Air, is not a member of any alliance); however I had difficulty fitting it into my schedule, and also difficulty in having long enough without passport to get the visa done, that I gave up on Bhutan for this trip. So a late change to my routing was required.

As usual, I have some side quick trips planned also.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Kiwi...

how does one go about planning a RTW trip? And is it more economical to use *A miles or pay in $$? How much would one of these run me?

I am thinking about doing one of these in the future with my wife an an anniversary present. Only got about 50k SAS miles currently...
Old Apr 12, 2006, 4:32 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

and also difficulty in having long enough without passport to get the visa done,
Not sure if you can do it in NZ but with all the travelling you do can't you get a second Passport ?. I'd be in trouble regularly without it.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 5:41 pm

I was interested to see the big divergence in air routes to and from PER. After all flying south of Hobart is a long way south from flying over Melbourne on your return flight.
Perhaps the jetsttream runs further north?
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:13 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The odds aren't that low. NZ only has 7 (or is that 6 now?) 767s. TBU is mostly served by 767 and PER is only served by 767. AKL-TBU-AKL was bound to be the same a/c.
OK, with those numbers things are a bit different... though still, an interesting coincidence (apart from the AKL-TBU-AKL run.

Sometime ago I did SFO-xIAD-EZE/GRU-xORD-SFO on UA, and I got N641UA for SFO-IAD, IAD-EZE and GRU-ORD. Having the same bird to EZE did not surprise me, but having it GRU-ORD did!
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Not sure if you can do it in NZ but with all the travelling you do can't you get a second Passport ?. I'd be in trouble regularly without it.
It is possible but not easy to get. Fortunately not too many places require visas.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 9:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SASfan
how does one go about planning a RTW trip? And is it more economical to use *A miles or pay in $$? How much would one of these run me?

I am thinking about doing one of these in the future with my wife an an anniversary present. Only got about 50k SAS miles currently...
Check out the *A forum for info on paid RTWs. While I dont know specifically for SAS, but for the FFPs I am familiar with award RTWs are much more restrictive than paid ones.
Old Apr 13, 2006, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Kiwi and WindFlyers, thanks for the info.

Just curious, as a newbie -- what does 'x' mean in your routing here?

Originally Posted by WindFlyer
Sometime ago I did SFO-xIAD-EZE/GRU-xORD-SFO on UA, and I got N641UA for SFO-IAD, IAD-EZE and GRU-ORD. Having the same bird to EZE did not surprise me, but having it GRU-ORD did!.
Also, when people post that they flew ex-SFO, what does that mean?

Sorry for the rookie questions...
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:16 am

Just curious, as a newbie -- what does 'x' mean in your routing here?
A connection, rather than a stopover.

Also, when people post that they flew ex-SFO, what does that mean?...
That would be 'departing from.'
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:45 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Those 42 Below cocktails sound rather good, especially the 'Backyard Bellini'. Though how anything containing alcohol can legitimately be described as 'rehydrating' is beyond me...
They are extremely good. I spent my entire AKL-PER flight in Feb consuming them (well, and some wine with the meal). Easily 10 of each. I do like my vodka, and those are very very nice cocktails. I also spent most of an AKL-LAX r/t drinking them as well.

You don't tend to notice the alcohol.. til you go to stand up.

aj.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ajnz
They are extremely good.
I'll heartily concur ^

...of course, I have nowhere near the 'absorption ability' that ajnz has
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that on the PER-AKL flight we got business amenity kits, which was a surprise. These must have been just about the last of the old stock as for the past several months (at least) Air New Zealand has not been using amenity kits but rather passes around a basket of items for business class passengers to select the items they want.

A few days later I noticed the AKL-PER and PER-AKL flights hadn't automatically posted so I made an online mileage claim. This was processed instantly which makes me wonder if they have all the data to verify the claim why couldn't the points have been automatically credited?

AT LONG LAST NEW NZ LONGHAUL

Anyway, it's again time to head back to the airport straight from work. This time premium check in is fairly empty and so it doesn't take long until I have a fistful of boarding passes and processed for immigration. I half expected the immigration officer to comment on all my trips but she doesn't say anything out of the ordinary. Back in the lounge I check some email and take a refreshing shower.

I'm looking forward to the flight. Since the new longhaul product was launched nearly a year ago I've had a series of flights on non-refitted 747s, 767s and even a couple of aircraft substitutions from brand new 777s to the old 767 Today at least I'd get to see for myself if the experience lives up to the hype.

There are plenty of reports on the new longhaul both in Trip Reports forum and Air New Zealand forum. In business class the old seats have been replaced with the Virgin Upper Class suites, and the IFE now has avod which is a great benefit on the long flights across the pacific. There are a few other changes as well (such as pre-ordering breakfast early in the flight so you can get some extra sleep).

We had a slow taxi again, and I saw several executive jets - I'm not sure what was on but this is more than the odd one or two usually seen at Auckland.

I found the suite great - in my experience easily the best business class seat, although of course I haven't flown all airlines. Rather more enclosed than the Singapore Airlines first suite for example, but still ample room to stretch out and plenty of places to put things (reading material, water bottle, etc).

As usual, the service was great as was the food. Dinner service started quickly, which is good for the overnight flight, and breakfast started about 2 hours out of San Francisco.

The Sauvignon Blanc was again Wither Hills, and I sampled the reds - Villa Maria Pinot Noir, Villa Maria Cabernet Sauvignon and Vidal Shiraz. I felt the reds were a bit too young.

The IFE was easy to use, although unlike some other airlines the handset was not marked with symbols for pause, stop, fast forward and rewind. It took about an hour into the flight before the system was working as they took several system reboots The ife was switched to the arrival video about an hour out from San Francisco - unlike some airlines' systems there is no way to ignore the arrival video and continue watching your movie/tv show/game.

I watched a couple of New Zealand feature movies, and some other shows, had plenty to eat and drink, and also had a good shortish sleep for a few hours. In short - a great flight.

San Francisco was clagged in with rain and low cloud, so we didn't see anything until just above the runway. Unlike my previous visits to San Francisco, the Air New Zealand flight arrived before several other international flights and thus immigration queues were short and I was through domestic security within 10 minutes.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Apr 14, 2006 at 5:33 pm
Old Apr 14, 2006, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Menu AKL-SFO

DINNER

Starter

Peppered tuna with pickled vegetable salad, king prawn on saffron aioli and salmon pate with wasabi caviar

Main course

Lemon and oregano rubbed loin of lamb on kawakawa gratin potatoes, leek and spinach with honey, oregano olive oil dressing and macadamia nuts.

Crispy skinned snapper with soft herb couscous, cream tarragon sauce, orange and pink grapefruit citrus salsa.

Basil and feta filled chicken thigh, kumara and thyme mash, broccolini and spiced black Doris plum sauce.

Light choice of warmed quinoa salad with lime and herbs, roasted vegetables with hummus and yoghurt dressing.

Fast dine

Ask your flight attendant if you would prefer a light meal consisting of a selection of breads, the starter of the day, cheese and chocolates.

Dessert

New Zealand titoki liqueur tiramisu with poached pineapple.

Gourmet ice cream dessert of double chocolate and golden kiwifruit ice cream.

Cheese

A selection of fine New Zealand cheese.

Beverages

Freshly brewed or decaffeinated coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate.

Snacks

Help yourself from our wide range of snacks, available for you to enjoy during your flight.

BREAKFAST

To order breakfast, complete the enclosed card and return to your flight attendant before going to sleep.

Beverages

Start your day with a fruit smoothie, your choice of juice, freshly brewed or decaffeinated Gravity coffee, tea, herbal tea or hot chocolate

Continental selection

Fruit selection with assorted cereals and yoghurts.

Croissants, friands, white and wholemeal toast with fruit conserve.

Hot options

Potato, tomato, red onion and cheese omelette with chicken sausage and roasted tomato relish.

Blueberry ricotta pancakes with streaky bacon and manuka honey and apple syrup.

BEVERAGES

See earlier post.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 6:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Update on the 2 missed flights. They've been rebooked for a new date, although it was hard to fit into my schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.