Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDG-SIN-CDG, Air France New First Class and New Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Mmm, I'm trapped. And I have to save my reputation for the coming LYS DO...

So let's go on.

Skyview (CX) Lounge (SIN T1)

Air France uses the Cathay Pacific Skyview lounge, operated by CIAS (Changi International Airport Services). Not close to my gate (C2), but a very nice and almost new 440 m² mezzanine lounge with a view over the apron (lots of EK aircrafts). Escalator and lift access, 122 seats, bamboo walls that mark out open seating zones, work areas with internet access, TV viewing area and a very long wooden bar.

The charming lounge attendants were always making sure there were enough sandwiches (focaccia, salmon), assorted Dim Sum, fried rice, noodles, chicken soup and refrigerated pieces of cakes. The drinks included a "blanc de blancs" French sparkling wine, an Australian red "Deakin Estate" and the usual selection of booze (rum, gin, whisky, port, vodka).

A tired Texan fellow FTer I had met at the Do was there:
Tired Texan FTer: "So do they have non-stop flights between Bangkok and Paris?"
Falco Peregrinus: "Er, actually we're not in Bangkok, and yes, there are non-stop flights between Singapore and Paris."

I logged on to FT from the "Skyview #3" workstation, added FT to the favourites and noticed other fellow FTers were posting at the same time from other SIN lounges (BA F in particular). I took a shower, picked up a selection of international newspapers and made my way to the boarding area (gate C2). The sight of the AF257 flight officer walking towards C2 confirmed that I would have the same crew as on my outbound flight (AF256).
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

22:50: Boarding

SIN security checks are carried out at the gate. That probably prevents long lines with dozens of people waiting at the same screening station for completely different flights. They had 2 screening stations before entering gate C2 waiting room, one reserved for the crew and premium passengers and the main line for everybody else. "Everybody else" included 20 to 30 French soldiers on their way back from Noumea, therefore a 3-segment route (NOU-SYD-SIN-CDG). Quite strange since the 26-hour NOU-NRT (or KIX)-CDG 2-segment route should be slightly more direct. NOU-SYD is only 3 hours anyway. Probably cheaper fares than on the Japan route… or a few hours of relaxing time in SYD.

This "security checks at the gate" policy is passenger friendly but must have a few drawbacks. Huge investments in security equipment that will not be operated 100% of the time, high maintenance and adjustment costs… and what happens if one X-Ray machine is out of order? Do they have to close the entire gate? How would they check 310 passengers in a reasonable time with only one X-Ray machine? Boarding was supposed to take place at 22:50 (departure time: 23:30).
Once I was done with security, I was more or less trapped in the boarding room with 308 other passengers. Everybody rushed to the door accessing the jetway when boarding was announced. The boarding agent yelled a rather basic "Any First Class or Business Class passengers?" and that was it.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Again, a warm welcome from the l'Espace Affaires FAs. The flight was packed and from my seat (4L) I could clearly notice that l'Espace Première (rows 1 and 2) was full. The l'Espace Première FA told me later they were doing much better than in the past on these Qantas codeshared flights (bigger aircrafts and better times for connections in SIN). One of the 4 l'Espace Affaires FAs recognized the 2 passengers seated in 3K and 3L who were on the same flight as mine 3 days earlier. He remembered pretty well that 3K was a fan the Saint-Véran white Burgundy and that 3L liked the Saint-Estèphe…

Boarding ended at 23:20, quickly followed by a glass of Duval Leroy Champagne (and a spray of Château Bayer 2004 for the mosquitoes ). We pushed back at 23:45 and took off at 00:04.

Last edited by Falco Peregrinus; Mar 11, 2006 at 1:31 am
Old Feb 26, 2006, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Supper

Well, I don't like the new C menus too much. Unlike what they still had 6 months ago, the new ones are quite small and compared to F, they look like menus from a different airline. The 8-page menu is entirely written in capital letters! I can't believe this has been suggested by a professional graphic designer:
SOUPER
SUPPER

CHOIX DE HORS-D'OEUVRE
CHOICE OF HORS D'OEUVRE
MAGRET DE CANARD FUME, FILET D'AGNEAU ROTI SAUCE PESTO
SMOKED BREAST OF DUCK ACCOMPANIED BY ROASTED FILLET OF LAMB WITH PESTO SAUCE

NOIX DE SAINT-JACQUES ET CREVETTES MARINEES, TOMATE, MOZZARELLE
MARINATED SHRIMP AND SCALLOPS, TOMATO, MOZZARELLA

CHOIX DE PLATS CHAUDS
CHOICE OF MAIN COURSES
TOURNEDOS GRILLE, DEMI TOMATE GRILLEE AUX HERBES ET POIDS GOURMANDS
GRILLED TOURNEDOS OF BEEF WITH SNOW PEAS, GRILLED TOMATO WITH HERBS

FILET DE LIEU POÊLE SAUCE CITRONNELLE, RIZ PARFUME AU LAIT DE COCO, POIDS GOURMANDS ET EPIS DE MAIS
PAN-SEARED FILLET OF POLLACK WITH LEMON GRASS SAUCE, RICE FLAVOURED WITH COCONUT MILK, SNOW PEAS AND BABY CORN

LA SELECTION DU MAÎTRE FROMAGER
OUR SPECIAL SELECTION OF CHEESE

DESSERT
TARTELETTE TUTTI-FRUTTI, SORBETS ET PETITS FOURS SECS, CHOIX DE FRUITS FRAIS
TUTTI-FRUTTI TARTLET, SHERBET SERVED WITH COOKIES, CHOICE OF FRESH FRUIT

CAFÉ EXPRESSO SERVI AU BAR ESPACE
ESPRESSO IS SERVED AT OUR BAR ESPACE

BUFFET
ASIAN NOODLES, SANDWICHES, COOKIES, BASKETS OF DRIED AND FRESH FRUIT

WINE LIST BY OLIVIER POUSSIER
CHAMPAGNE
DUVAL LEROY FLEUR DE CHAMPAGNE

WHITE BURGUNDY
MACONNAIS SAINT-VERAN 2003 DOMAINE JOSEPH DROUHIN

RED BURGUNDY
COTES-DE-NUITS VILLAGES 2003 DOMAINE NICOLAS POTEL

RED BORDEAUX
SAINT ESTEPHE PRIEUR DE MENEY 2001 DOMAINE CORDIER

APERITIFS
PURE MALT WHISKY 12 YEARS OLD, BOURBON, LICORICE-FLAVORED APERITIF, GIN, VODKA, BITTER, VERMOUTH

TAWNY PORT 10 YEARS OLD

BRANDY AND LIQUEURS
FRUIT BRANDY, ARMAGNAC HORS D'AGE, COGNAC XO, CALVADOS HORS D'AGE, WHISKEY LIQUEUR

BEER

SOFT DRINKS

COFFEE AND TEA
ACCOMPANIED BY A LENOTRE NAPOLITAIN CHOCOLATE
ESPRESSO SERVED AT OUR BAR ESPACE
GRANDS JARDINS TEAS AND HERBAL TEAS (GREEN MINT TEA, DARJEELING, EARL GREY, YUNNAN IMPERIAL, CEYLAN BLEU

MINERAL WATER
EVIAN, BADOIT, PERRIER
Old Feb 26, 2006, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Soooooo. Was any of this stuff any good? I can vouch for the Saint Veran Drouhin and such as the Perrier and Evian, but how about the food and the other wines? We're all waiting.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 8:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue (SILV), BA GOLD
Falco it seems that you like to manage the suspens .
Give us your opinion on a night in the new c seats, and did you use the arrival lounge at 2C.
Thanks
JCR
Old Mar 1, 2006, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Nice report so far... but the suspense is murderous.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 6:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hey Falco, come on laddie get the rest of this report out there for us to see.

I am surprised AF only offer two main courses in J. A lot of other airlines I have flown (CX, BA, AA) offer at least 4 choices.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monitor
I can vouch for the Saint Veran Drouhin.
Monsieur Drouhin makes an excellent Saint-Véran but a bit too woody for the refreshing marinated shrimp and scallops starter. A Sancerre would have been more appropriate but which airline serves Sancerre anyway?

My notorious bias for Burgundy wines made me choose the Côtes-de-Nuits, again not an ideal association with the tournedos. Ahh, the l'Espace Affaires tournedos… beef it was for sure. But it is time to set the record straight after the l'Espace Première filet of beef experience and the match is now over.

Fillet of beef (l'Espace Première): 1 – Tournedos (l'Espace Affaires): 0

The tournedos was slightly overcooked, the 4 to 5 snow peas and the grilled half tomato left me almost hungry and made the cheese selection a mandatory step before the Tutti-Frutti tartlet. Made me wonder why they don't systematically offer their legendary Chocolate Croquant.

In a nutshell: Excellent starter, good main course and good+ dessert. Same china as in l'Espace Première by the way. Some will complain that Première has the same china as Affaires…

Originally Posted by Moomba
I am surprised AF only offer two main courses in J.
Actually, they do usually offer 3 choices (2 + day's special dish) but not on this late flight. Like on my F CDG-SIN leg, I fail to understand how a reduced choice speeds up the service that much. And I also fail to see who needs and accelerated service on a 13 hr 45 flight. Certainly not the poor FF redeeming hardly-earned miles on dozens of 07:00 CDG-FRA flights in Tempo Challenge (AF's full fare economy).
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Anyway it was time to start the subtle and complex process of setting the lie-flat seat-bed also known as NTC (New Travel Concept).

The NTC deserves a sticky 368-post thread on our board that has been viewed almost 42,000 times already! I also remember a fierce discussion about these seats 6 months ago. The same lie-flat Britax technology is used by Cathay Pacific, Air Canada and Swiss in their BC cabins though it seems they're not flamed as much as Air France… The secret is well known nowadays: the best sleep position is NOT the 180° position, that still has a 13° angle to the ground and makes you inevitably slip during the night and look like something the cat brought in, somewhere between your shoes, your used copy of the National Geographic Magazine and your empty bottle of Evian or Duval Leroy.
The pitch is rather generous (61 inches), some might find the width a little bit tight (21 inches). Anyway I managed to get more than 7 hours of sleep, only interrupted by a 1 or 2 visits to the l'Espace bar that the crew had fully prepared this time: Champagne, cookies, sherbet, Asian noodles, sandwiches, fresh and dried fruit, espresso, chocolates…

I didn't use the IFE very much but I found the Sennheiser Noisegard HDC-45 headphones quite efficient. And the massage function of the seat is great.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for finally filling us in! But we still have the arrival to hear about, no? Are you going to take us all the way on the RER to your home?
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Breakfast!
PETIT DEJEUNER
BREAKFAST

JUS DE FRUIT, CAFE, THE, CHOCOLAT
FRUIT JUICE, COFFEE, TEA, HOT CHOCOLATE
SALADE DE FRUITS FRAIS, FROMAGE FRAIS
FRESH FRUIT SALAD, FROMAGE FRAIS

*~*~*~*

CHOIX DE PLATS CHAUDS
CHOICE OF MAIN COURSES

ŒUFS POCHES SAUCE MORNAY SUR LIT D'EPINARDS, SAUCISSE DE POULET, TOMATE GRILLEE
POACHED EGGS WITH MORNAY SAUCE SERVED ON A BED OF SPINACH, CHICKEN SAUSAGE AND GRILLED TOMATO

PAIN PERDU SAUCE VANILLE
FRENCH TOAST WITH VANILLA SAUCE
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:02 am
Original Poster

I opted for the French toast, having never heard of such a strange thing as a "chicken sausage". And I could definitely not remember who Mornay was. Philippe de Mornay (1549-1623), the austere French Huguenot writer who could read and speak Latin, Greek and Hebrew? Not sure he spent much time cooking eggs and inventing Béchamel sauce variations… Australian experts suggest a curious connection to Le Grand Véfour, now ruled by Guy Martin. There we are! Cryptic Aussie influence on l'Espace Affaires menus!

AF257 -> Qantas codeshare flight ->Australian gastronomes -> History of Mornay sauce -> Le Grand Véfour Restaurant -> Chef Guy Martin -> l'Espace Première menus -> l'Espace Affaires menus -> Mornay sauce.

Needless to say that with such a fertile imagination I could hardly finish my breakfast on time and get ready for landing.

Last edited by Falco Peregrinus; Mar 11, 2006 at 1:31 am
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:04 am
Original Poster

The crew had run out of immigration forms so they decided not to distribute any… good think I didn't need one.

We broke the world record for longhaul arrivals at CDG:

06:20: Landed (scheduled: 06:15).
06:30: Unusual arrival at 2B (scheduled at 2C. 2B is non Schengen too but mostly used for short and medium haul flights and therefore has very few arrivals before 08:00)
06:36: Door opened
06:37: Said good bye to the crew and left this impressive B777-300 ER
06:38: French Police pre checked my passport at the end of the jetway
06:39: Done with immigration (inside the terminal)
06:40: Landside, no luggage to pick up, quick walk to the arrival lounge through the underground passage between 2B/2D and 2C/2A.
06:45: Entered 2C arrival lounge.

With seat 4L, a few steps away from the exit door, I was on to a winner I must say. Not sure the last business class passengers seated in row 12 managed to exit as quickly as I did.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:09 am
Original Poster

AF's arrival lounge, strangely located on the departure level, is a small, quiet place with a few showers and the usual continental breakfast assortment. The French toast had been quite copious and I was not in the mood for additional Pains au Chocolat. I waited 5 minutes for a vacant shower, took the arrival lounge's amenity kit containing nice l'Occitane green tea cologne and hanged my suit in the double doorway compartment between my shower room and the corridor.

Kudos to the lounge ladies who work miracles! It took them no more than 10 minutes to perfectly press a suit that had spent 14 hours folded in my hand luggage. ^

I left the lounge at 07:20, took a train to Paris at 07:35 and arrived at the office at 08:30. Again, another world record that I never imagined possible before the trip.

An overall positive experience and a successful test for the NTC seat and the lounge service since nobody at the office noticed I had just spent 13 hours in a plane and woke up at 04:00. I would have been forced to lie anyway:

"Weekend in Singapore? Come on, Falco, you're having us on."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.