Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Wing / Pier access as One World Sapphire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wing / Pier access as One World Sapphire

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:39 am
kpc
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
An update...

Originally Posted by kpc
I thought I would ask the Cathay experts here. I will be travelling in J class (I'm also One World Sapphire) from HKG next month on Qantas. Would I be able to bring in a friend as a guest to either the Pier or Wing in HKG if she is flying on another airline (SQ)?
I visited the Wing yesterday and had no problems gaining access with my guest. My guest was now actually travelling on CX in Y but I deliberately did not offer to show them her boarding pass, just saying she was my guest... no Qs asked and they did not say she had to leave when I left (anyway I can't see how they can police that anyway) I love the noodle bar ^ ^ ^ and after a while, I said could I just have a large bowl of wontons only (and skip the noodles!!) @:-) I now cannot face wontons for a little while and ate very little when I boarded the plane

I was hoping to quickly visit the Pier but could not convince my guest to make the short walk over . I did stop at the Hong Kong Lounge for QF and BA passengers...all I can say is what a crap lounge it was in terms of food and decor

Thank you all on FT for making me aware that I could visit the fantastic Wing. I'm sure the majority of passengers in the Hong Kong Lounge were not aware that they could visit the heavenly Wing!!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, DL FO, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Can arriving J PAX use the Wing or the Pier in HKG?

Title says it all.

Have planned a 24 hr stopover in Hong Kong. Arriving at 630a from SFO.

Can I use either of these lounges to "refresh"?
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:51 am

Depends....

Originally Posted by RPRocket
Title says it all.

Have planned a 24 hr stopover in Hong Kong. Arriving at 630a from SFO.

Can I use either of these lounges to "refresh"?
If your onward flight is on CX/ OW carrier in J/F , get your boarding pass in SFO or at a transfer desk.
Go through transfer point to departures.
Go to Wing/ Pier.
When you want to leave tell the lounge service desk, they will give you a pass to reverse through security at transfer point.
Walk back through arrivals as if you were just coming of a flight.

Otherwise no, CX does not have an arrivals lounge.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by kpc
... Thank you all on FT for making me aware that I could visit the fantastic Wing. I'm sure the majority of passengers in the Hong Kong Lounge were not aware that they could visit the heavenly Wing!!
Yes, well perhaps it may be good to leave it that way

Then again, do CX gain revenue when PAX travelling on BA/QF/AY etc. use their lounges?
Old Feb 20, 2006, 3:50 am
kpc
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Then again, do CX gain revenue when PAX travelling on BA/QF/AY etc. use their lounges?
I think they do as the gatekeeper at the Wing took my QF SG card and punched in my details including FF no. into her computer before I entered the lounge. They obviously expect (some of) the riff raff from QF to use the Wing as my QF flight was displayed with the CX flights on the TV monitors in the Wing
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Anybody know if this J/F access rule can be found in writing somewhere?

I had a hard time at the QF lounge at SIN - the guy got rather pissed off as I didn't give up. Finally after trying to educate me about codeshares and status cards, he told me "This is a Qantas lounge and has nothing to do with Finnair or Oneworld".
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by LH747FTL
Anybody know if this J/F access rule can be found in writing somewhere?

I had a hard time at the QF lounge at SIN - the guy got rather pissed off as I didn't give up. Finally after trying to educate me about codeshares and status cards, he told me "This is a Qantas lounge and has nothing to do with Finnair or Oneworld".
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Sorry I beg to differ...

As long as you are flying on any ONEWORLD carrier that day in J or F class, and have boarding pass to prove it, you are entitled to use any Oneworld lounge ie BA or CX.
Maybe SIN do things differently from HKG ...

Last edited by serfty; Jul 17, 2006 at 1:43 am
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Well so you assert, but many people have reported being able to access other OW lounges based simply on class of travel. I know that The Wing accepts QF/BA F passengers on that basis, for example.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:52 am

This was the first time I ever had a problem. And when I went back there, the other agents confirmed that any oneworld J/F boarding pass gets you in regardless of status.I've been burning plenty of miles and just been flying regional paid J so no higher status for the time being.

Never had problems with BA/CX lounges anywhere either.

But unlike Star Alliance, I can't seem to find this rule anywhere so I could print it.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:35 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...But unlike Star Alliance, I can't seem to find this rule anywhere so I could print it.
That is because is is not a Oneworld benefit or rule, but an informal benefit that some Oneworld airlines offer. So some lounges allow access based on class of travel, others do not. Presumably it is based on how much the lounges want to cash in the access payment from the ticketed airline.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...But unlike Star Alliance, I can't seem to find this rule anywhere so I could print it.
Because there isn't one.

Technically, the first agent at Qantas lounge was correct, the second agent provided excellent customer service. Oneworld and StarAlliance have many similarities, however, this is one place where they deviate.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:00 am

So excellent customer service is why CX lets other oneworld J/F flyers to use the Wing/Pier? Not doubting you but I find that a bit hard to believe.

The one time CX op-upped me to F, they refused entry to the F lounge and insisted I only have access to the J section.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:12 pm

CX lets J/F pax from any oneworld airline (status or no) into their HKG lounge. That rule is in writing on page 20 of their current system timetable.

Other oneworld airlines may differ - making lounge access for oneworld passengers (beyond the common entry rules for status holders) - apparently up to the individual airline to determine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.