Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Flight QF30 from LHR-MEL via HKG. A few questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight QF30 from LHR-MEL via HKG. A few questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:57 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
Originally Posted by RickyT
Heck, they just don't even annouce their own flights in their lounge anymore, (to preserve the quiet atmosphere I guess) but as kpc said, Oneworld partner flights are all listed on the lounge monitor.
If you ask them, they will call your flight
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:04 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Note that a QF F passenger is not entitled to use the CX lounges unless they also hold the necessary OneWorld elite status. So to use the CX The Wing or The Pier F lounges, you need to hold OneWorld Emerald status. As the OP did not mention any OneWorld status, I only pointed them to the one lounge they would otherwise be entitled to use, being the QF/BA lounge called "The Hong Kong Lounge".

As for getting off the plane, I cannot see any point in remaining on-board the aircraft for normal transit time. Only if the transit time was greatly reduced due to a delayed flight would I ever consider staying on board.

The transit process in HKG is not difficult and in my experience is not time consuming. They tend to be quite efficient with plenty of staff assisting the process for security screening. Its worth the effort to stretch the legs and get some exercise. I also appreciate the chance to shower, and no doubt those seated around me also appreciate my personal hygiene.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by NM
Note that a QF F passenger is not entitled to use the CX lounges unless they also hold the necessary OneWorld elite status. So to use the CX The Wing or The Pier F lounges, you need to hold OneWorld Emerald status. As the OP did not mention any OneWorld status, I only pointed them to the one lounge they would otherwise be entitled to use, being the QF/BA lounge called "The Hong Kong Lounge". ...
I was thinking this too, until I noted the OP's Signature:
AA - PLATNUM
HILTON - GOLD
STARWOOD - GOLD
So I guess flyer121 can at least employ the CX J lounge at the Wing if so desired.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 8:30 pm
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NM
Note that a QF F passenger is not entitled to use the CX lounges unless they also hold the necessary OneWorld elite status. So to use the CX The Wing or The Pier F lounges, you need to hold OneWorld Emerald status. As the OP did not mention any OneWorld status, I only pointed them to the one lounge they would otherwise be entitled to use, being the QF/BA lounge called "The Hong Kong Lounge".
I hate to disagree with NM as I would always believe what he says is correct but I recently visited the WING and spent some time reading the access rules at the entrance. I should have taken a picture of the sign with the rules

I stand by what I said in my post#7 above and say thet the OP can access the first class section of the WING with a QF F boarding pass. Our resident Cathay experts (Guy Betsy & christep) concur with this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514118
see post#8 and #10
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:42 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by kpc
I hate to disagree with NM as I would always believe what he says is correct but I recently visited the WING and spent some time reading the access rules at the entrance. I should have taken a picture of the sign with the rules

I stand by what I said in my post#7 above and say thet the OP can access the first class section of the WING with a QF F boarding pass. Our resident Cathay experts (Guy Betsy & christep) concur with this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514118
see post#8 and #10
That is not my understanding, nor my interpretation of published OneWorld benefits.

Any OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire status person flying in any class on any OneWorld flight (operated and marketed by OneWorld airlines) can access any OneWorld F (Emerald) or J (Sapphire) lounge by showing proof or status and eligible flight.

However, if the passenger is not a OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire status person, then as far as I am aware, OneWorld access rights are not available. I expect the CX lounge agent will very politely direct the QF F passenger to the QF lounge.

So if a particular lounge accepts people based purely on having an F or J boarding pass and no OneWorld Status, then that is a local lounge or airline blessing and nothing to do with OneWorld entitlements.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:53 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NM
That is not my understanding, nor my interpretation of published OneWorld benefits...
...So if a particular lounge accepts people based purely on having an F or J boarding pass and no OneWorld Status, then that is a local lounge or airline blessing and nothing to do with OneWorld entitlements.
All I can and will say to the OP is that based on what I read at the entrance to the WING last week, he should have no problem accessing the first class section of the WING with his QF F boarding pass, even if he has no OW status ^ . It would be interesting to see if this is just particular to the WING (or PIER) and would like to hear what others have experienced with other OW lounges.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I concur with kpc after having done this exact thing in SIN several years ago.

If you hold a OW F boarding pass, you will be allowed into any F OW lounge irrespective of the status (or lack of) held. The same goes for J.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 2:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold)
I have been told explicitly by QF lounge staff that if you are travelling if F or J on any Oneworld airline then you can access any Oneworld lounge. It seems to be in the realm of "undocumented benefits" but it is definitely there.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Traveloguy

If you hold a OW F boarding pass, you will be allowed into any F OW lounge irrespective of the status (or lack of) held. The same goes for J.
Originally Posted by whughes3
I have been told explicitly by QF lounge staff that if you are travelling if F or J on any Oneworld airline then you can access any Oneworld lounge. It seems to be in the realm of "undocumented benefits" but it is definitely there.
Hmmm.. that may be so, but from postings I have seen here and elsewhare, it may not be a good thing to try with BA in either LON or the US. The lounge dragons in those places seem to have their own rules.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Traveloguy

A single occurrence does not a pattern make. My understanding, is as NMs, that OW status permits access to all OW lounges; access to a lounge based on class of travel is restricted to lounges that that airline elects to provide access to.

If the free lounge rule did apply, then someone travelling domestic F in the US should logically be allowed to any OW lounge that exists ( e.g. BA lounge ) even though AA would not allow them into an AA lounge .

There is evidence to suggest that some lounges may allow access to other carriers premium class passengers, but I suggest that this is not a right

Dave
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the free lounge rule did apply, then someone travelling domestic F in the US should logically be allowed to any OW lounge that exists ( e.g. BA lounge ) even though AA would not allow them into an AA lounge .

Dave
The policy I referred to above appears to apply only on International sectors (and how many BA lounges are accessible to US domestic pax anyway?)
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by whughes3
The policy I referred to above appears to apply only on International sectors (and how many BA lounges are accessible to US domestic pax anyway?)
There are some BA lounges around in the US. Ok, taking international sectors, this would allow an AA J passenger to use a BA Terraces lounge at MIA when flying to SJU for example even if not permitted to use the AA one.

I still maintain that whilst some lounges *may* permit other carriers premium passengers in, there is no OW rule that entitles the passenger to it. No harm in asking for access, but I wouldn't be surprised if a dragon refuses access. The wording of the OW lounge access policies is ambiguous in that respect.

With Access by status, it states that access is to all lounges of the appropriate type

With access by class it just says

Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. (First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a oneworld sold/operated flight).

Customers flying in Economy class on the domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling the longhaul segment.

It doesn't state that access is to all OW F lounges/OW J lounges

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 23, 2006 at 5:36 pm
Old Feb 23, 2006, 6:59 pm

I make no claims to great authority on this..as I mentioned above, I am merely repeating what on-duty QF staff have told me on at least two occasions. I presume they said what they did for a reason.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold
OW Lounge Access

Hey guys

Everyone's right about this one. The rules can say one thing but they're 'interpreted' ^ all the time.

The rules say (I'm paraphrasing here - please don't correct me!) that you can access CX F lounge if next flight is in F or ... etc etc. I've had access in the past arguing that I've just come off an F flight and there isn't an F class to where I'm going, would they mind letting me in ... Now my subsequent flight has also been on CX F (but not within 24hrs) so that may have helped. They didn't have to, and I certainly wouldn't have complained if they had said no, but it was a nice gesture and I was eternally grateful (I really needed access to the day rooms!) Edited to add: I had no OW status at the time.

Also, once, flying CX Y and being OW Emerald, they gave me a 1 + 2 guest pass for CX F lounge - the rules say 1 + 1 guest (unless you're CX diamond I think) - again no complaints had they not let us in. It's all about customer service - Look up the rules, don't expect any more and you'll never be disappointed. No harm in looking for excellent customer service though!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There are some BA lounges around in the US. Ok, taking international sectors, this would allow an AA J passenger to use a BA Terraces lounge at MIA when flying to SJU for example even if not permitted to use the AA one....
Security prevents AA pax accessing every BA lounge in the US except for MIA and DFW (I haven't checked all 20, but certainly the major cities such as LAX, JFK, ORD, SFO, SEA, PHX, YYZ are like this). At MIA and DFW BA lounges go out of their way to prohibit and even antagonize AA elites attempting to gain access. I can usually get in with a WP card but once it took SS at MIA to read them the riot act. In any case the MIA and DFW lounges are rather poor (actually half of the BA lounges in the US are poor). Not that it matters, but SJU is not international from MIA (US territory), however AA does have 2 dozen international flights from MIA and all the AA concourses (except for the rarely used E high) are connected to the BA lounge concourse (A). The new AC in concourse D is nicer than the BA lounge, which should relieve the pressure on BA and maybe make them friendlier.

The bottom line is that Oneworld has shot itself in the foot with its lounge policy. It creates as much confusion and illwill as it does goodwill. It is absurd to have a dozen different rules for what should be a simple system. And ironically it is the worst lounges that are the hardest to get into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.