Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Wing / Pier access as One World Sapphire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:09 am
kpc
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold

I thought I would ask the Cathay experts here. I will be travelling in J class (I'm also One World Sapphire) from HKG next month on Qantas. Would I be able to bring in a friend as a guest to either the Pier or Wing in HKG if she is flying on another airline (SQ)?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I'm still trying to figure out who/where to contact if OW Sapphires get access at SGN.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
kpc,

Yes, I believe that you will be able to enter the J lounge with 1 guest on the basis of your OneWorld status. But when you leave she must leave too, and guests are always subject to the lounge reception if the lounges are stuffed full.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:42 am

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I'm still trying to figure out who/where to contact if OW Sapphires get access at SGN.

hmm. My first reaction to this was of course they do (I hope so as I am flying this route next month). CX operates their own metal on this route. However, I just looked at:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/intl/ai...-36851,00.html

And see that it does not specifically call out OneWorld elites. That said I notice DEL, BKK, and LAX do not show OneWorld acces either, yet I have used all of those lounges travelling in economy. I think generally if that chart shows diamond or gold status, then the equivalent OW status is let in as well.

I can understand Hanoi as CX does not operate their own metal on this route.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by studio76
hmm. My first reaction to this was of course they do (I hope so as I am flying this route next month). CX operates their own metal on this route. However, I just looked at:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/intl/ai...-36851,00.html

And see that it does not specifically call out OneWorld elites. That said I notice DEL, BKK, and LAX do not show OneWorld acces either, yet I have used all of those lounges travelling in economy. I think generally if that chart shows diamond or gold status, then the equivalent OW status is let in as well.

I can understand Hanoi as CX does not operate their own metal on this route.
Sorry I should've been clearer. The question should be, "SHOULD OW Sapphires be allowed access, according to CX policy?" A while ago in another thread, I asked when I was in SGN, and the gatekeeper showed me a PostIt ( ) that said only OW Emeralds should be allowed. Was he correct? We don't know for sure.

Point against Sapphires:
-It's a 3rd party operated lounge.

Point against me:
-I was flying JL/AA codeshare that day.

I'm just wanting to finalize this point.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:39 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
A bit off topic - does AY J (or any other oneworld J/F for that matter) alone give access to the Wing/Pier?

I only have ruby status at the moment, and AY usually hands invitations to the KA lounge.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:59 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by LH747FTL
A bit off topic - does AY J (or any other oneworld J/F for that matter) alone give access to the Wing/Pier?
No.

but a OW Sapphire will, while travelling OW in any class.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by marcuslai
No.

but a OW Sapphire will, while travelling OW in any class.
Sorry I beg to differ...

As long as you are flying on any ONEWORLD carrier that day in J or F class, and have boarding pass to prove it, you are entitled to use any Oneworld lounge ie BA or CX.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:14 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Sorry I beg to differ...

As long as you are flying on any ONEWORLD carrier that day in J or F class, and have boarding pass to prove it, you are entitled to use any Oneworld lounge ie BA or CX.
Thanks GB. So it works like in Star Alliance - couldn't find this in the oneworld website.

AY is selling BKK-HKG-BKK for 9150 THB+tax in I-class so I might need to pay the Wing/Pier a visit or two to get some more CX club sectors.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I am in The Wing now and I have just asked the desk. Guy Betsy is correct - travelling any OneWorld airline in Business Class gets you access to the Business side of The Wing or Pier even without status. Similarly with First Class and the First side of The Wing (or Pier).
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by christep
I am in The Wing now and I have just asked the desk. Guy Betsy is correct - travelling any OneWorld airline in Business Class gets you access to the Business side of The Wing or Pier even without status. Similarly with First Class and the First side of The Wing (or Pier).
OOOOH! Ask him if he can call someone about access into the SGN lounge, in particular for OW Sapphires.... and flying on an AA codeshare!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease
Old Jan 14, 2006, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
OOOOH! Ask him if he can call someone about access into the SGN lounge, in particular for OW Sapphires.... and flying on an AA codeshare!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease
For that, you should be the one calling AA about it...

If the lounge is run by third party, you won't get into the lounge even if you're OW emerald...

Take the example at CDG... where BA shares lounge space with AF. Unless one is travelling in Business and is BA Sliver or Gold, no one can get into that lounge.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
For that, you should be the one calling AA about it...

If the lounge is run by third party, you won't get into the lounge even if you're OW emerald...

Take the example at CDG... where BA shares lounge space with AF. Unless one is travelling in Business and is BA Sliver or Gold, no one can get into that lounge.
Umm, ok thanks. But I was hoping christep could ask so that there would be a definitive answer, because even your answer, as solid as it is, still isn't completely true. I.e., the SGN gatekeeper will allow Emeralds in.

This isn't the first instance of my asking...

EDIT: Reason I'm asking is because I have no idea how to contact CX regarding lounge asking, as much as I tried searching on websites and whatnot.

Last edited by IceTrojan; Jan 14, 2006 at 4:26 am
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The biggest problem is that even CX res has no definitive answer to your question.. it will still depend on the whim of the lounge agent at SGN which is not run by CX but rather by VN airlines.

Try maybe calling CX and asking them to give you a contact at SGN airport and then maybe you can try asking them directly>?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:12 pm

Programs: LH M&M, CX MPC
As a previous (ouch!) OW Sapphire, I can attest that at Hanoi, you do get access to the (third-party operated) lounge even when travelling Y.

All the more interesting is that the 'CX' flights from HAN to HKG are actually joint-venture (as well as codeshare) flights with Vietnam Airlines and are operated by VN.

This would lead me to believe that at SGN, things would work the same way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.