Search

Venice and Paris via KL/AF Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:18 pm
aw
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Venice and Paris via KL/AF Business Class

There are two destinations in every traveler’s heart. The first one is an exciting new place that somehow has captured our interest and compels us to pay it a visit. Like an explorer, we anticipate the thrill of the unknown and hope to be rewarded by the experiences of our findings. The second destination is a journey back to the comfort of the familiar. This could be a sacred refuge like home or a place where we keep revisiting and holds us in a perpetual state of longing. It becomes our “second home” and we are driven by this desire to return time and time again as if a part of us is left behind and therefore we are forced to make a ritual pilgrimage back to find ourselves.

It’s early March and a good time to visit Europe. It’s not crowded like the summer months and planes are emptier. I travel with my sister who is an Italophile and we agree to see Venice since neither one of us have been there before. However, on the return, we will spend a couple of days in Paris being the good Francophile that I am. We redeemed 80,000 miles each from our NW accounts for a Business class ticket before it changes to 100,000 miles later in the year. This will be a fabulous trip with Venice representing the allure of the new and Paris the comfort of the old.

KL 606
SFO-AMS
B777 – Seats 3G

We arrived with plenty of time at the airport and the check-in process by the Swissport agent was quick and efficient. I wanted to check out the AF lounge so I called AF reservations to verify access beforehand. The agent confirmed that it was OK to use any Skyteam member lounge as long as I had a J or F ticket on the day of departure. Imagine my disappointment when I arrived and was politely refused by the AF entry agent. Owing this to a misunderstanding I was not in the mood to argue to get this to a bad start so I retreated to the NW Worldclubs downstairs. The lounge was almost empty so I proceeded to nibble on the Walker’s shortbread cookies and Milanos. Thank you NW for making this a staple in your clubs.

We then headed to the gate and arrived just in time as they started to call the J cabin for pre-board. Entrance was through 2L and there were 2 FA’s at the door to greet customers as they walked in. The J cabin was about 90% full and 2 FA’s were making the rounds offering OJ or water. They looked a bit overwhelmed and never offered to hang our coats. Amenity kits and menus were then distributed and I expected to get the tin box but to my surprise a new blue pouch with the NW/KL co-brand made its debut. The menu included a form on which you could custom make your breakfast by selecting from an assortment of options (a brilliant idea IMHO.)

Once the doors closed, we still had our coats resting on our laps so I took them to the galley and asked the FA there to hang them. Not a promising start but I was hoping that service would get better as the flight progressed. Take off was smooth and once we reached cruising altitude the service began with the distribution of hot towels followed by ramekin of nuts and beverage of choice.

Menu

Appetizer

Smoked duck and shrimps.
Barbecued shrimps with mango and smoked duck breast served with corn relish and grilled pineapple.

Main Courses

Beef tenderloin
With an onion and bacon crust served with roasted red potatoes and baby carrots.
OR
Roast chicken
With leek and garlic butter served with potato gratin & haricots verts.
OR
Mediterranean sea bass
With lavender butter served with couscous, asparagus and mixed grilled vegetables.

Dessert

We invite you to select your choice of tart, cheese or fresh fruit from our dessert trolley.

Skybreak

Breakfast a la carte

Hot breakfast dishes today:

Savoury dish:
Leek and tomato omelette with pork sausage and fruit sauce.

Sweet dish:
French toast with caramel and pecan nuts.

Wine Menu

White wine
-Vintners Blend Chardonnay 2003 Ravenswood CA
-Sauvignon Gris 2004 Casa Silva Chile

Red wine
-Chateau Ferrande 2002 Graves
-Shiraz 2003 Bergwater Vineyards South Africa

Champagne
-Piper Heidsieck Champagne Brut

Port
-Taylor’s 1999 Late Bottled Vintage Port

Dessert wine
-Avondale Muscat Blanc 2003 Paarl, South Africa

The chief purser introduced herself, addressed me by name and made small conversation while taking the food order. I had this same experience when flying on LH J from FRA-MIA. Now that I think about it, I have never had a purser introduce himself/herself to me while I flew on UA or US J before. A cultural difference, perhaps?

There are certain similarities between NW and KL and one of them is the use of a food cart during meal service. The FA dispensed the appetizer tray, which consisted of 2 slices of chilled duck breast with a sizeable layer of fat sandwiching a piece of grilled pineapple. Two lonely shrimps enhanced this detrimental concoction with a corn relish on the side. The saltiness of the duck was nicely paired with the sweetness of the pineapple and the crunchy texture of the corn relish added an interesting dimension to this appetizer plate. However, the duck slices were too fatty and the shrimps tasted a bit overcooked lacking a “kick”. A small salad is provided consisting of romaine lettuce pieces, a slice of zucchini, yellow squash and green beans which were surprisingly crispy. A small container of Parmesan peppercorn dressing was present (no choices here) and the obligatory breadbasket was passed.

For the main course, I had the sea bass. True to its description, it had a hint of lavender to the taste and the flesh was firm and not overcooked. It’s too bad that the couscous underneath was swimming in butter. You could literally scoop up the golden liquid if you tilted the casserole on the side. The asparagus tips had the right garlicky touch and the mixed grilled vegetables were no more than sautéed tomatoes with onions.

I paired this dish with the Chilean Sauvignon Gris, which was crisp and clean. Next came the dessert cart and when the FA cleared my neighbor’s tray, a piece of cutlery fell on my glass by the armrest shattering it into pieces with some of it landing on my lap. Thankfully I had the blanket covering my lap and always make it a habit to cover my feet whenever I take my shoes off. The FA apologized profusely and came back with some towels. I was a bit greedy when the dessert cart made it appearance so I asked for the cheese plate and the tart. She replied that she will have to finish serving the whole cabin first and if there are any leftovers she will bring it to me (I had a UA déjà vu moment at this point). She then served me the pre-plated tray with 2 cuts of cheeses (one was spicy with a pungent taste and the other was sweet and solid – no description of the types on the menu), bunch of grapes, slice of apple, butter and a package of Carr’s water crackers. To her credit, when I asked about the fruit bowl, she gladly offered it to me (I guess the fruits do not have many takers). I think it is extremely frugal on an airline’s part to not be able to offer a cheese and pastry selection simultaneously. I certainly did not face this predicament when flying on AF. Just as a contrast, AF FA’s encourage you to have a bit of everything from the dessert cart. I savored my cheese with a glass of the delightful Avondale Muscat. The wine was sweet, intense and very fruity. It was the perfect touch to the end of the meal. After this, FA’s passed with chocolates and coffee or tea.

Mid-flight, I decided to pay a visit to the galley and check out the Skybreak basket. Guess what? Basket was MIA(Missing in Action). All I found was drinks and a box of chocolates. Maybe the chocolate was the Skybreak. Another cost cutting move? FA oversight? Catering forgot about it? The answer is somewhere out there.

Since this is a 777, the seats in J are the new “lie flat” generation. AVOD entertainment is a big plus. Selection of movies is wonderful with a nice assortment. Seats are not so great in my opinion. I understand airlines wanting to install the latest technology in order to keep abreast with the competition, but am I the only one who thinks that in order to do this they are sacrificing some degree of comfort? I find the new seats to be a bit narrow and not as plush as the older generation ones. When in a “flat” mode, it is more of a sliding position rather than a true flat one. The padding is not as thick or comfortable. The newest toy is not necessarily the best. It seems that only BA offers a truly flat seat in J class out there. The little canopy on the KL seats are supposed to provide some degree of privacy. It is most effective if you are bald and do not want the people in the row behind you to see your big spot or your bad hair after you slept. As for the “nets” in front of your seat to hold things, they are of limited use. There are 2 pockets, one in front and another by your feet (I guess for your shoes, but better suited for slippers), but they are not the most spacious ones.

I cannot sleep onboard very well, so in between flipping channels, reading books, looking at the ceiling and staring at the other passengers snore, time flew and breakfast was about to commence. The food cart made an encore appearance and the trays were delivered with all items requested at once. I was satisfied with my French toast selection which was served hot, delightfully infused with caramel overtones accompanied with what seems to be a piece of apple with some scattered pecans on top for texture.

Landing into AMS was uneventful and a nice touch by KL is the offering of Delft houses as a token of appreciation. Thankfully KL decided not to eliminate this feature of First Class and instead incorporate it to Business. AMS Schipol is an excellent airport. Signs are cleared and connections are a breeze. There are enough interesting shops and restaurants to keep one amused. I checked into one of KL’s Crown lounges and it was an interesting experience. For starters, I wanted to take a shower to refresh myself but found out that this particular one did not have it. Later I found out that KL does not automatically grant you access to showers for being in J. It looks like this feature is reserved only for the top members of Flying Dutchman (Flying Blue now). The lounge was being remodeled and it was crowded. Snacks included nachos with cheese, dried salami, crackers, potato chips and cookies among other things. We then headed for our flight to VCE.

KL 1655
AMS-VCE
F100 Cityhopper – 3C

Boarding was orderly but one Italian businessman threw a tantrum when he was told that he could not board with all his carry-on. I guess the pieces were too big or too many or both. The Business section was a joke. Configuration was 2-3 and there was no physical barrier separating Business from Coach. It is funny to see how each 4 of us in J had a row for ourselves while everyone was packed behind. In addition, there was no WC in front, so one had to go all the way back. Flight is a bit more than 2 hours if I remember correctly and there was a meal service. Now, I don’t know if this was the same meal as Y since I did not looked back but FA’s distributed a sandwich in a cardboard container. I had a choice between a Greek sandwich and a ham one. I chose Greek and it was a mini submarine roll with pieces of lettuce, olives, cubes of feta cheese and small red pepper strips. The roll was soft and was OK tasting. There was a dessert next to it inside a plastic container with a lid. Upon closer examination it seemed like a spongy type of cake with a white cream and a piece of chocolate with an interesting zig zag pattern (sort of like a babas au rhum with meringue that has been mass produced by a machine). I sampled it with apprehension and let’s just say that I did not experience any pleasure out of it.

To my surprise, about 45 minutes before landing, the FA comes around with a big box full of pastries (there is a redeeming quality for flying J, after all). To my horror, when she showed me the contents, the pastries were individually packed. Debating whether to accept or decline, I chose an innocent looking piece that looked like a laced mini apple tart. One bite and I threw it out. How can an European carrier serve such distasteful offering is beyond me. To think that the one way fare in J from AMS-VCE is about $690+.

VENICE

Landing at Marco Polo airport offered a magnificent view of Venice. On approach, the city looks as if suspended in a magical setting. The airport is rather small but very modern and easy to navigate. From the airport, it is a short ride (20 min. approx) in bus to the Piazzale Roma. This is the only location in Venice where cars are allowed. From here, we catched the vaporetto to our hotel in front of the Rialto bridge. We arrived by sunset and I cannot think of a more fitting prelude to Venice. The city is everything you have heard and more. The beauty of Venice seems to be further enhanced when the sun casts its last rays of the day against the buildings and intensifies their colors. What is truly amazing is to come to the realization that people do ordinary things in this extraordinary place.

We checked in at the Hotel Marconi, which is considered a 3 stars property situated a few steps from the Rialto Bridge and facing the Grand Canal. The location is unbeatable and strategically central. In addition, the complimentary buffet breakfast is very generous and one can get freshly squeezed Blood Orange juice upon request. After a nap in the spacious room, we ventured out to explore the city.

Venice is a quiet city at nighttime. Rome is the only other city I have visited in Italy and compared to it this is a cemetery. Navigating through the maze like streets challenges your sense of direction and sooner or later you are bound to get lost, which happens to be part of the charm of being in Venice. One can not venture too far away from this compact island and there are signs everywhere pointing to the major landmarks. I did not feel threatened walking at night but if you are going to get lost, it is better to do so during daytime. That way you can get a better appreciation of the sights and surroundings. Somewhere I read that this city is experiencing a massive exodus of locals to the mainland due to exorbitant real estate prices. A magnificent setting like this sure commands a hefty price. I’ve been told that most residences in central Venice, especially along the Grand Canal, are owned by wealthy foreigners as time-shares. Maybe that explains the darkness and quietness at night.

Tourism is big business here and it charges you accordingly. Even during winter, a slow travel period, it is full of tourists. Has Venice become a victim of its own success and along the way became a Disney like theme park? I know that there are enclaves around the city full of local flavor, but when you see a trend of local young people moving out, you wonder how Venetian will Venice be down the road. One night I stumbled upon a charming little restaurant that appeared popular judging by the crowd inside and pretty affordable by glancing at the menu. Upon closer observation once I was seated, I discovered that most of the clientele were foreigners as I heard English and Spanish from the tables surrounding me. To my surprise, I discovered that the staff was Chinese. I ordered an antipasto and risotto and was pondering about the authenticity of this experience in the back of my mind. The entrée arrived and it was very good. The risotto followed and it was creamy and well done. However, I wondered how many local people would patronize a place owned by non-Italians because of the perception of authenticity. Would you go to a place that is owned by a native who dishes mediocre dishes or a foreigner who produces the finest example of dishes because of his passion for the cuisine? By the same token, how many French would buy a book written by Julia Childs and James Peterson about their own cuisine? Isn’t perception a deceptive thing?

To be continued…..

Last edited by aw; Sep 26, 2005 at 2:55 pm
Old Sep 26, 2005, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
The Mrs. and I visited Venice a few years ago before the Pupsters started to arrive. We loved it and can't wait to go back.

Thanks for your trip report^. Waiting for the rest.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:52 am

Great report, and agree whole-heartedly about KLM's stinginess with the dessert service.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 2:46 am
aw
Original Poster

continuing with Venice.....

The following morning we set out to Piazza San Marco, considered the center of attraction of the city and a landmark that many of us associate with Venice. The square is impressive and magnificent in its architectural details. Even more inspiring was the Basilica di San Marco, a majestic sight that in my opinion represents Venetian artistic genius at its best. How can one not marvel at the opulent details of this Byzantine church? I have seen bigger and more imposing churches, but to me none can surpass the beauty of this one. The colors, size and details seem to blend harmoniously to create this glorious sight. This will definitely be the highlight of my visit to Venice.

Roaming through the back streets of the Piazza I was seduced by the smells of food emanating from food stands and restaurants so I decided to venture into a local place to sample some fritto misto. I started with a delectable seafood antipasto consisting of octopus, sardines in a sour sauce, shrimps, squid and mussels. The freshness of the seafood was evident in the slight sweetness of the first bite. The fritto was lightly battered without any oiliness and the chunks of fish were succulent and meaty. Appreciation of Italian cuisine begins with the understanding of its simplicity to exalt the best of nature where freshness plays a critical role in its preparation.

It’s hard not to be seduced by the surroundings of this city. Once you distance yourself from the Grand Canal and the tourist-plagued attractions, you discover winding sidewalks, hidden canals and quaint piazzas that beckon you to stay. The concept of ambience is closely linked to Venice where part of the magic is seen by its reflection on its water. This mood is also evident on its paintings. Venetian painters have always produced more dramatic and vivid works than their other contemporaries. For example, when I look at The Tempest by Giorgione, the ominous surroundings seem to take more precedence than the story or its characters.

The day we left Venice it was cloudy and snow started to descend. I was sorry to miss this spectacle that would have shown me a different aspect of the city. Snow on Venice would have made an interesting photographic theme. Oh well, that will give me an excuse to come back next time. On my way to the airport I had mixed feelings. The realization of the end of my Venetian visit brought me sadness but on the other hand the anticipation of going to Paris excited me.

Once at the airport (around 12:15p), we checked-in with AF and learned that our 1p something flight has been delayed (my apologies for the sketchy details, but it’s been some time) and would not have a conclusive answer until the plane arrives from Paris. Today was the day that CDG experienced a horrible snowstorm and the whole AF ops went crazy. Finally we received word that the flight will arrive and they were anticipating a dept of around 3p. We were given boarding passes and were walking towards Immigration when the AF agent found us and escorted us back to the counter to be rebooked on the earlier flight that was also delayed and now was departing closer to our original time of 1p. We were rebooked and when we checked for the gate of our flight, I noticed that our original flight at 3p has been canceled. It’s a good thing that we were protected on this earlier flight.

Since we were in Business, we were allowed into AZ’s Tintoretto lounge, which was quite comfy. It was divided into 2 rooms with a middle hallway where the drinks and snacks were located. There was 1 internet computer available and the lounge was not crowded. AZ has a good assortment of snacks including chips, cheese balls, cookies from the Alisnack boxes and other salty stuff. There was only 1 attendant at the desk and no announcements were made. However, the lounge has a nice view of the jet bridge and I took the opportunity to take pics of a DL 767 bound for NY.

We then headed downstairs to the gates and to our surprise we were bussed to a remote area to board our AF flight. This was a City Jet plane and not a true AF so I was a bit disappointed. Our original flight was an A320.

AF 1127
VCE-CDG
BA145?
– Seat 3F

Boarding was thru stairs and FA’s were welcoming passengers onboard. The crew was AF (all female, young and stylish) but the pilots were City Jet. Seating was 2x2 (actually 3x3 but in J the middle seat is blocked) and there were 3 FA’s today. We stayed put for a good 30 min. awaiting instructions from CDG so passengers were getting anxious. Some of them came to the front and just vented out to the chief purser. The FA’s did whatever they could explaining that the situation at CDG was a mess and they were restricting inbound arrivals. Finally the pilot came on the speaker and briefed us on the situation. At this point, FA’s started to do a water service to appease the customers. Another 25 min. passed and we finally received clearance to take off. But first, de-icing needed to be done since the wings have accumulated some snow already.

Take off was uneventful and once we reached cruising altitude, the chief purser started taking drinks orders and delivering small plastic trays with 1 open faced smoked salmon sandwich on buttered toast crowned by a tiny lemon wedge and 1 cream pastry dotted w/berries on top. Let’s not forget the small piece of gianduja chocolate. For some reason I was having higher expectations for an AF J service. I wonder if switching to a City Jet flight instead of a regular AF plane knocked the level down by a notch. By the way, glasses and utensils were plastic, but there was a curtain separating Business from Coach.

Paris, here I come…

Last edited by aw; Sep 27, 2005 at 2:54 am
Old Sep 27, 2005, 8:36 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jaffar
Great report, and agree whole-heartedly about KLM's stinginess with the dessert service.
It's odd just how much things can differ.

Just after New Year, I was flying JFK-AMS. The flight was obviously oversold, as there were some obvious op-ups to business class (one of the F/As thought I was one of them, since he was surprised at my suggestion that I'd rather sleep and skip breakfast and eat on my connecting flight to LHR), and the cabin was pretty full. Nonetheless, there seemed plenty of dessert to go around, including seconds of the caramel cheesecake...
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Does KLM still give out the delft (sp?) bottles?
Old Sep 27, 2005, 3:10 pm
aw
Original Poster

Only miniature houses contaning Dutch gin were given out before arrival into Schiphol. FA's will bring them on a tray so that you can choose the model.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 12:52 pm
aw
Original Poster

PARIS

The plane circled around CDG for a good 30-40 min. before given final clearance to land. Once we were below the gray clouds I was able to catch a glimpse of the snow-covered terrain. The landscape was soothingly calm and beautiful. It is ironic to think that the conditions that caused this serene landscape produced so much chaos and disruption.

Once the plane landed we were directed to a remote area to park and then catch a bus to the terminal. Some people were impatient with their connections and started to get up before we parked. I was thinking to myself that they will need all the luck they can get with this weather and the layout of this airport. The FA made an announcement in English in a stern tone for everybody to stay seated until we parked safely. When the door opened, a chilling draft of air rushed through the cabin. Outside it was windy with snowflakes attaching to our bodies as we disembarked. As expected, everyone ran to the bus and it became very crowded. Passing through Immigration was fairly quick (coming from within the EU certainly helped). Traveling light has its advantages and mobility is a big plus. We took the Air France coach into the city and from there it was a short hop by Metro to our hotel.

As the coach made its way into the city, a familiar feeling of joy that I have experienced so many times before returned. I feel at ease in Paris, and to me there is no other place like it in the world. My first time here was unforgettable and it was love at first sight, literally. It is hard to explain but there are places that one feels an immediate connection to it. On that first visit, Paris felt like coming back home after a long period of absence. I remember walking for hours aimlessly, without a specific destination until past midnight. It was the best walk of my life.

The beauty of Paris has been portrayed ad nauseum through countless movies, photos and publications. Adjectives used to describe it are sometimes insufficient. Allow me to render you my perspective of Paris. This is the most sensuous city on earth. Paris is the epitome of man’s creative genius. No other city allows you to appreciate beauty through so many senses. You can see, taste, smell, hear and touch it all here simultaneously. The creation of beauty is a God like quality and it is well manifested here, whether it is through the grandiose architecture or glorious cuisine. Everything here is made to appeal to your senses. Visuals take an extra sensual connotation that is not found anywhere else. I remember last November walking through the Place Madelaine and catching an ad from Fauchon on which a pair of full, luscious lips with a frosted pink finish bites into a piece of Fauchon chocolate. I though it was the most creative, appealing and effective ad I have ever seen.

I have often wondered why some people are so uptight when it comes to sexuality and categorize France as an indecent, morally decaying society because of its liberal views on sex and portrayal of it. To these people, I ask them if it is fair to categorize the US just the same way because of the blatant violence seen in the media. Some will point to the popularity in action movies, wrestling matches and caged fights to make this point. To some extent, American football is viewed by many outside the US as a violent sport. You have to admit that a bunch of guys built like a wall, tackling each other with such force that they risk serious injuries and displaying aggressive behavior is to some degree violent. One thing I learned from travel is that your point of view is not the only valid point. You have to be objective and look at things from different perspectives. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes and ask yourself why they see things the way they do. By doing that, you can become a more understanding, compassionate and less judgmental person.

Hotel Intercontinental

I was looking forward to try this property having stayed at the Le Grand previously and wanting to compare them both. The Intercontinental on rue Castiglione is not as decadent or central as the Le Grand, but it makes up for these shortcomings in service and charm. Check in was carried out efficiently and having Ambassador status assured us of an upgrade to a superior room automatically. We were assigned a room on the 4th floor with a balcony and a superb view of the Tuileries Garden and Eiffel Tower. The room was adequate with a big closet room and a very well appointed bathroom featuring Molton Brown toiletries. It was tastefully decorated in a classical style. About 20 minutes later an attendant knocked on the door to bring us the Ambassador amenities that consisted of 2 bottles of Evian, a plate of artistically arranged fruits and a box of Hediard almond chocolates that were heavenly. At the Le Grand, we had to inquire about our amenities on the 2nd day and our gifts were less substantial, featuring Evian water, 2 mandarins and a small bottle of white wine.

The property is located about 1 block from Place Vendome and within steps from Place de la Concorde. It feels a bit more secluded than the Le Grand and is conveniently located next block to Angelina’s. One afternoon I paid my obligatory visit for some pastries and when I returned to my room I devoured the famous Mont Blanc, a signature confection made of pureed chestnuts and meringue. The millefeuille was equally satisfying with a delectable cream and not overly sweet. The pastries here are much more affordable than at Fauchon or Galeries Lafayette Gourmet. As for macarons, nothing beats Laduree and when it comes to chocolates, my favorites are from Maison du Chocolat.

Paris has many layers and each visit brings a new discovery. I am fortunate to experience snow in Paris. One morning I walked to the Tuileries and I had a “Zen moment”. It was very quiet and cold. It felt relaxing to be in such an open space without any worries and preoccupied thoughts. Snow from the previous night has accumulated on top of the statues and chairs in the park and this imparts an aura of solitude and peace to the landscape. I took some pictures and then proceeded to the Palais Royal, where for the first time I admired the controversial striped columns by Daniel Buren. The juxtaposition of the old and new creates a sharp and interesting contrast, but I felt a stronger inclination to venture by the arcades housing different shops. Afterwards, it was on to the Square Igor-Stravinsky to visit its whimsical fountain. Although the fountain was inoperative, I enjoyed looking at the colorful and humorous sculptures around.

The last day was dedicated to Montmartre and the Sacre Coeur as a compromise with my sister since she has not been here on her last visit. We took the metro and got off at the Abbesse metro, where you find one of the two remaining Art Nouveau metro entrances. The other one is Port Dauphine. As expected, the walk from here to Sacre Coeur was exhausting due to the ascension through many stairs, but it is the picturesque way to do it. The base of the church allows for a magnificent view of Paris at your feet. However, because of flurries coming down with incremental force, there was not much of a view. We sought refuge in a nearby local restaurant and it is here that I had a memorable meal for about 12 Euros. It started with a fish terrine that was absolutely fresh followed by perfectly cooked gigot d’agneau with a fade pinkish center and accompanied by a tasty side dish of crusty, perfectly seasoned potatoes. As a finale, I enjoyed a cheese plate with crusty bread and creamy butter. Not bad for a 3 course meal at this price.

Our AF flight will depart at 1020A so we called it for the night to get a good night sleep. I don’t know why AF schedules this flight so early while most US carriers depart at around 1p. My last couple of flights to SFO have left from 2C, so I guess the same applies for other US bound flights. Some of the AF coach drivers do not know this if you ask them. Traffic was light on the way to the airport and it looked like a clear day.

Check-in at CDG is dreadful. This is a good place to have your patience tested so arrive at least 2 ½ - 3 hours before departure. Even at the Premiere and Affaires line the pace is painfully slow. After a good 25 minutes in line, we were greeted by a cheerful agent who processed us. Five minutes later she is still typing (bad sign) and concedes defeat (I feel a drop of sweat running through my forehead). She advised us that because this is an electronic award ticket issued by NW, she is having problem issuing one of the tickets (I think this defeats the whole purpose of an electronic tkt. ) You see, when AF issues a boarding card, it is always accompanied by an attached coupon that the gate agent dutifully retrieves. This is their rules and how they operate, so I just go along with it. Thank God I had enough foresight to arrive with plenty of time. As Martha says, “it’s a good thing”. The agent graciously escorted us to a ticket center located a couple of meters down the terminal and left us in her colleague’s capable hands. She proceeds to type some more on her keyboard. (tap ,tap, tap..merde, tap, tap) After a couple of minutes, she placed a call to the help desk center and asked in French who dealt with this record and stating that she absolutely cannot issue a coupon because of the previous agent’s involvement. She glances at me and I throw a shy smile back. She then disappears into another room in the back and when she returns she advised us to go directly to the gate and not worry about it. She will call the gate people and alert them that a couponless passenger in J will show up and in their infinite mercy they will allow the customer to go through and make a rare exception (not exactly in those words but you know what I mean).

Going thru Immigration was quick and security was conducted in a dignified way. The gate area offers a deplorable selection of duty free items. For a country associated with luxury goods and fine living, the duty free shops found at CDG are a disgrace. Shops are small and limited in their offerings and variety. Upon entering the lounge, we were warmly greeted by the attendant and fought our way to the refreshment bar. The room was packed. I did not see much in terms of food, only some good Bretonnes cookies, madeleines and sweet pastries. I was delighted by the exotic selection of guava, passionfruit and apricot juices. After a quick visit it was time to board our plane.

My AF inflight experience coming up………

Last edited by aw; Sep 28, 2005 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:30 pm
aw
Original Poster

A solid performance by AF

AF 84
CDG-SFO
A340 – Seat 6J

Boarding was quick and when my sister informed the agent that she did not have a coupon, he replied that he was already advised of the situation and everything was OK.

As always, FA’s were stationed at the door entrance to greet customers coming onboard. Row 6 is the bulkhead of the second J section and judging by the empty load there were plenty of open seats today. Once we sat down coats were taken followed by pre-departure drinks. An amenity kit and a bottle of Evian water were already placed in the front pouch of every seat. The kit was a hard case in ivory color that included a shoe bag and other basic items. Toothbrushes, facial cotton pads and Evian cleansers were available in the rest rooms. It was departure time at 1020A and no announcements were heard. Another 15-20 min. passed and still no announcements. At this point I moved to two rows behind and secured row 8 for myself. Last time I took this flight we were delayed because of connecting passengers, so I assumed that this time would not be any different. Finally, at about 30 minutes after our scheduled departure time, the captain advised us that there was a minor mechanical issue being corrected and this should not take too long. In this regard, I think that US carriers are more proactive about informing customers and keeping them updated than AF. In the meantime, I see a couple of late passengers making their way into the cabin.

It is approaching 1 hour after departure now and the purser announced that beverage service would start while we were waiting. I guess the delay was not as “minor” as predicted. Afterwards FA’s rolled their beverage carts down the aisle and started the drink service using glasses and distributing small boxes of Fauchon’s roasted almonds & hazelnuts. About 40 minutes later we were ready to go and FA’s prepared the cabin for departure.

Once we climbed to a safe altitude, menus were distributed, another round of beverage service followed and hot towels were passed around. As someone noted on a previous report, AF seems to have a high proportion of male FA’s compared to other carriers and this was evident on my flight today. Two male and one female crew serviced us in our section, while another male purser would appear occasionally to assist (I noticed he stopped by every male psgr to make small conversation, shameful flirting behavior, perhaps). It’s also interesting to note that most crew members that I have come across on AF are young and very decent looking. In most cases the male ones are particularly well selected for some reason.

MENU

Choice of hors d’oeuvre

- Duck foie gras, green tomato marmalade and walnut bread.
- Shrimp marinated with sesame oil, vegetable mirepoix.

Choice of main courses

-Pan seared noisette of lamb, herbed artichokes and simmered carrots.
-Grilled fillet of salmon with pesto olive oil vinaigrette and mashed potatoes with olives.
-Special dish: Filet of free-range chicken with Port wine demi-glace sauce presented with dauphinoise potatoes au gratin and braised endive.

Our special selection of cheese

Camembert, comte, chrevre cendre.

Assorted desserts

Chocolate puff pastry, pear tart, sherbet with cookies, choice of fresh fruit (mandarins and grapes).

Espresso is served at our Bar Espace

Express Service

BUFFET

Sandwiches
Cookies
Baskets of dried and fresh fruit

DINNER

Hors d’oeuvre

Swiss air-dried beef and fennel salad with pineapple.

Choice of main courses

-Pan seared filet of beef, steamed French green beans and wild mushrooms.
-Moroccan style vegetable pie with lemon balm cream sauce.

Our special selection of cheese

Langres, beaufort, olive cendre.

Dessert

Fresh fruit salad.

I love foie gras and this one did not disappoint. It was intense and smooth. The tomato marmalade tasted more like an orange one. Perhaps a last minute substitution. The lamb noisette was delicious and not overcooked perfectly complemented by the slight sweetness of the simmered carrots. Breads were offered from the basket but on AF they are not warmed. The cheese selection was nice with the right balance of contrasting flavors and textures. For dessert, I chose the pear tart, mango sherbet (tasted more like grapefruit to me) and dried cookies. The sherbets and cookies are always a staple. The desserts are served from a cart where everything is displayed and FA’s will gladly serve you all of the above if asked, unlike some other less generous carriers.

Today’s flight was the old cabin configuration and it was a bit worn. I saw a piece of gray duct tape on one of the armrests. Nevertheless, I find the seats to be quite comfortable, especially the built-in pillows. Seat pitch can be improved, though. I guess the new configuration will add an extra 20+% space.

Service was very polite and efficient, although not very engaging. The buffet set up consisted of two parts. For the first couple of hours after the meal service, a basket of fruits, cookies and Lenotre dark chocolate squares were placed in the galley. Afterwards, the sandwiches and dried fruits were available. A FA was in the galley in case you wanted an espresso or any other hot drink.

About less than 2 hours before arrival the second meal started. The appetizer of dried beef was too strong for my taste and I could not finish it. In contrast, the Moroccan pie was outstanding. It had a flaky texture with a tasty filling and the right amount of sauce. The cheese was a welcome addition and the fruit salad had 3 slices of cantaloupe and some grapes. Another choice of dessert would have been nicer but I guess the second meal was designed to be a light and quick service.

I hope you enjoyed reading this report as much as I did in writing it. I am especially thankful to those who replied with feedbacks. For the most part, Flyertalk is composed of some of the most savvy, knowledgeable and sophisticated travelers in the world. Personally I can’t think of a better forum to share my views and experiences.

Last edited by aw; Sep 29, 2005 at 4:19 pm
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Great trip report!
I wish that I had been able to get a way from more of the touristy areas of Venice liked you had (or atleast stay on the island). It does seem that Venice in the tourist areas do feel like a Disney park, or atleast it did when I was there this summer. I also agree AF does seem to have more male flight attendants than other airlines.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by aw
[B]AF 84
Two male and one female crew serviced us in our section, while another male purser would appear occasionally to assist (I noticed he stopped by every male psgr to make small conversation, shameful flirting behavior, perhaps). .
I really liked your entire trip report, and completely agree that AF beats the pants off of NW/KL, though between those two I do prefer KL, for its slightly more professional feel.
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but would you have noticed if a female FA had chatted up every male pax? I think most of us (even myself) would not have even noticed it, and thought she was just doing her job.
I, for one, would have been thrilled to be flirted with, shameless or not, since you also mention the male FAs are "well selected"!
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:17 pm
aw
Original Poster

Agree, but I have often found that it is the male members that display this behavior more aggressively whether it is through words or touch. One thing I noticed with female FA's in this particular carrier is that their interaction is always carried with a smile.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:57 pm
aw
Original Poster

P.d.

In my hastiness writing the last report I forgot to include the wine list from the AF flight. My apologies.

WINE LIST

Champagne
Piper Heidsieck Brut

White Loire Valley
Pouilly-Fume "Les Charmilles" 2001
Maison Guy Saget

Red Burgundy
Savigny-les-Beaune 1er Cru 2000
Domaine Vincent Sauvestre

Red Bordeaux
Saint-Estephe 2000 Prieur de Meyney

Aperitifs
Pure Malt Whisky 12 ans
Bourboon 4 ans
Aperitif anise
Gin, Vodka, Bitter, Vermouth
Porto Tawny 10 ans

Digestifs
Eaux-de-vie de fruit
Armagnac hors d'age
Calvados hors d'age
Whisky

Biere

Selection de thes Grands Jardins et infusions
The vert a la menthe, Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Yunnan Imperial, Lapsang-Souchong.

Eaux
Eaux minerales plates - Evian
Eaux gazeuses - Badoit, Perrier

In addition, an issue worth mentioning happened when my sister took off her watch and it felt through a crack by the armrest. One of the FA's took a good 5 minutes looking for it with his flashlight and could not find it. He then advised her not to worry and once we landed he will stay with her and if needed they will call a mechanic to disassemble the seat. ^ Once we landed and got to the gate, 2 FA's from the back positioned themselves by the J cabin and when she found out that we were trying to look for a watch she immediatedly assisted us and told her other co-worker about it. So now we had 3 FA's involved in this little drama. Luckily it was found stuck in a corner without further assistance from the mechanics, but this incident provided a positive reassurance about AF's inflight service. :-: :-: :-: :-:

Last edited by aw; Sep 30, 2005 at 1:00 pm
Old Sep 30, 2005, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
aw-

Enjoyed reading your trip report and agreed with your comments on Venice. Interesting how quiet it seems there at night.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 7:31 am
DOZ
Suspended

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I really liked your entire trip report, and completely agree that AF beats the pants off of NW/KL, though between those two I do prefer KL, for its slightly more professional feel.

No accounting for tatse then !!!

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but would you have noticed if a female FA had chatted up every male pax? I think most of us (even myself) would not have even noticed it, and thought she was just doing her job.
I, for one, would have been thrilled to be flirted with, shameless or not, since you also mention the male FAs are "well selected"!

yes they look great in their pink slippers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.